Lets see the wiring under YOUR Baseboard

250BOB

34575871265_c0d1260219_z.jpg

Its a bit neater than this now as I've used P clips to hold most of it in place. The blue terminal blocks have been incredibly timesaving for the DCC droppers - bought from a Chinese supplier through eBay for about £5 each, they took a while to arrive but saved me so much faffing about! The bus wires are 24/0.2.

There are also MERG circuit boards for the point servos, plus lighting and lighting control, both of which have their own separate power buses.

32993366784_c6f222ac50_z.jpg

Hi

After a gap of some 40 years, I have plunged back into the wonderful pastime of railway modelling.....just started to wire up Cambrian Street....so a bit  :scared:

As I progress (and when especially when completed) my wiring remains, tidier than my sock drawer....!

attachicon.gif101_1820 (480x640).jpg

Regards

Bob

Mine started looking neat and tidy like that, just got worse as I went along!

34575871265_c0d1260219_z.jpg

Its a bit neater than this now as I've used P clips to hold most of it in place. The blue terminal blocks have been incredibly timesaving for the DCC droppers - bought from a Chinese supplier through eBay for about £5 each, they took a while to arrive but saved me so much faffing about!

Hi,

Out of interest, what are the blue screw terminals, are they bus bars?

Simon

Having been a user of Marconi and Ferranti products in the past including a 6 month course at 102 Arbour lane Chelmsford. It was interesting to say the least working on equipment filling the top floor of a building, which was the size of half a football pitch filled with Seven foot racks of equipment, all wired in Pink wire except for a few bits of red and black for the rails, even with the numbering on the terminals...

Of the layouts showing there are only three that might pass the examination of my old looming and lacing instructor..

There would be little point showing you my future layouts underside as almost all will be on the front or back I've had enough time underneath layouts!

As for the inherited layout, I can see the orginal build would have been approved, then the first owner  added a lot not so good wiring while obviously working from underneath...

Then one or two others bodged things a bit, till I got the layout, it will be along time before I have sorted the nesting rats enough to show it on here...

+1

The vast majority of the wiring on my new layout runs on the front side frame , which is recessed by 80mm from the ply top edge to act as a conduit tray.

Only thing under the layout are the droppers and wire in tube for the side frame mounted servos.

I simply don't intend to ever solder upside down again !

• RMweb Gold

This one (Layout now dismantled) was a definite example of how not to do it!!! It was all colour coded, although not recorded, with each wiring route having a different coloured pattern in the stripped out phone cable wires so breaks were traceable. Surprisingly, despite its' vulnerability, this wiring loom survived several trips out; I guess knowing it was vulnerable we took care not to snag it and break a connection. Will never use a solid panel door and under board wiring like this again. Layout evolved, it was never intended for the exhibition circuit but ended up doing several.

dublo%20wiring%20IMG_7724.jpg

Most if not all of my wiring connections are under the control board, this is hinged onto the main board to allow access so there are no solder connections under the board. This makes wiring up very easy and quick as you don't need to solder under the board. On this board are all the rotary and sub circuit, uncouplers and yet to be added points. Only extra wires are to the controllers, currently 4, rotary switches are the maplin type which will accept 12.

The control board top surface is an exact copy of the half the layout, whole layout was designed using Xtrackcad, surface printed 1/5 scale.

Points will be stud pencil type, so are some of the uncouplers, only press switch is for Hornby Dublo mail bag collector

post-60-0-97208900-1501335005_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-19393300-1501335025_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

DCC. Just two wires, they said. "They" lied... Still amazed everything works as it should. I hate wiring.

attachicon.gifwp_043.jpg

Pete 75C

Where do you get those connectors from please? I remember seeing something about them somewhere and they have a special name but I can't remember what they're called. Removes the need for soldering which  I'm no good at!

Cheers

Graham

Pete 75C

Where do you get those connectors from please?

Known as "breakout board connectors", the ones shown are 25-pin. I got mine from ebay, link below...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIKINS-Connector-Db25-D-sub-Female-Plug-25-pin-Port-2-Row-Terminal-Breakout-PCB-/322668824023?epid=1771964003&hash=item4b208f85d7:g:KSsAAOSwFWVZm5ZM

Just one word of advice, the connecting cables are quite heavy and if allowed to hang down unsupported, can put a strain on the connector. I found that by supporting the weight of the cable using a wooden guide (below), everything's fine.

post-17811-0-84281600-1504850391.jpg

Pete.

Known as "breakout board connectors", the ones shown are 25-pin. I got mine from ebay, link below...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIKINS-Connector-Db25-D-sub-Female-Plug-25-pin-Port-2-Row-Terminal-Breakout-PCB-/322668824023?epid=1771964003&hash=item4b208f85d7:g:KSsAAOSwFWVZm5ZM

Just one word of advice, the connecting cables are quite heavy and if allowed to hang down unsupported, can put a strain on the connector. I found that by supporting the weight of the cable using a wooden guide (below), everything's fine.

Pete.

Thanks Pete

Archived