57xx Panniers with riveted tanks

Of the outside-contractor built Panniers, I'm trying to identify which had seam-welded tanks (as per the standard Swindon build) and those with riveted tanks. Here's my starter for ten:

Seam-welded: North British Locomotive 5700-49, 7725-49 and 7750-74

Seam-welded: Yorkshire Engine Co 6725-49

Riveted: Kerr Stuart 7700-24 (*)

Riveted: Beyer Peacock 8701-24

Don't know:

- Bagnall 6700-24, 8725-49

- Armstrong Whitworth 7775-99

* I'm a bit confused though as to the state of the preserved 7715

Guest dilbert

A brief glimpse thru the Pannier Papers series (Irwell Press) reveals as built:

NBL, Armstrong Whitworth and Beyer Peacock - seamless.

Bagnall, Kerr Stewart, Yorkshire Engine - rivetted.

As in all things GW there is an exception and that is a photo of 5718 (an NBL build) in 1956 that clearly show rivetted panniers - most likely the result of a rebuild... dilbert

Many thanks, Dilbert. My OP list was a bit woeful, and at least one of my mistakes was staring me in the face!

Coombe Martin - generally, it seems that the same type of tanks did get put back on during repair, subject to rare exceptions as exampled by Dilbert. The more common variation was with the type of boiler fitted after repair: there was a large number of non-topfeed boilers (as was standard for all pre-1942 build) that were in the common 57xx/8750 boiler 'pool'.

With mostpannier repairs in Swindon requiring the tanks to be removed, they may have been some limited pooling of tanks within the batches. My late uncle was in the factory and was grateful for being tall. During his apprenticeship, the smaller chaps were required to climb inside the tanks for inspection, repair and coating purposes. Those in the know would wear ear plugs as the 'older' staff thought it was great fun to bang on the side of the tanks when the new intake were inside.

Some care had to be taken with which locos the tanks could be used on. Until the late 1940's there were significant numbers of older pre 57xx panniers still in use and being repaired, many of which also had rivetted tanks. However the 1200 gallon capacity of the 57xx was not standard across the classes, with many earlier engines only having 900 gallon, 1000 gallon and 1095 gallon capacity tanks fitted.

Mike Wiltshire

• 1 year later...

Of the outside-contractor built Panniers, I'm trying to identify which had seam-welded tanks (as per the standard Swindon build) and those with riveted tanks. Here's my starter for ten:

Seam-welded: North British Locomotive 5700-49, 7725-49 and 7750-74

Seam-welded: Yorkshire Engine Co 6725-49

Riveted: Kerr Stuart 7700-24 (*)

Riveted: Beyer Peacock 8701-24

Don't know:

- Bagnall 6700-24, 8725-49

- Armstrong Whitworth 7775-99

* I'm a bit confused though as to the state of the preserved 7715

7715 had riveted tanks until a few years ago in presevation when they have been changed to welded tanks

David

According to me it's 7714 (on the photo anyway).

Great news as I spent hours studying photos before alighting on this via Google.  Thanks.

Does anyone do the works plates?  I may have asked this before but I am not certain.  Apols if so.  Good to confirm Swindon is welded tanks, as one doesn't need a works plate (although a nice difference to model if so).

Archived