Roco Z21

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have not seen anything on using an ECoS Mobile Control 2 with the Z21 - would I be correct to assume that nobody ever implemented this, i.e. never got it so that the knob on the MC2 could be used to control trains?

The connections supported on the Z21 are shown here

https://www.z21.eu/media/Kwc_Basic_DownloadTag_Component/root-en-main_47-661-310-665-313-downloadTag-download/default/45d3330f/1536565785/z21-black-en.pdf

What protocol does the ECoS Mobile Control 2  use? if you can identify that then you will be able to identify which bus could be used.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A glitch I’ve not come across before with the original app. 
I had an entertaining half hour adding the controls for the new modules to my file on the Z21.
When I uploaded the latest image it also replaced Walkenried with the same one! Then when I reloaded that it replaced Brunnensbach with Walkenried! And then the same happened with. Braunlage being replaced with Brunnensbach. It seemed to duplicate whatever image I uploaded on the previous screen as well!?! Glad all the files were on the phone but slightly odd and confusing as all the controls fortunately stayed in place so once the image was reloaded all was fine. 
I do have seven screens in use as I have reprogramming screens for the point motors also stored on there so maybe I’m reaching the limit of the control screens!

3FE3AE83-E787-45B5-BFE6-7356D6B4E5C3.jpeg.c7a8fc6dc320f69395ef07bbeee834bd.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After updating my Apple devices to iOS14 my iPhone (6s) still operates my z21 but my iPad (much newer!) does not. It shows connected to the Roco router but "No Connection to Z21". If I go to Z21 Settings the IP address is correct but tapping on Reconnect to Z21 does nothing, the button lights but nothing happens and it doesn't stay on. I'm not sure if I should use the Z21 updater as my phone is working fine, just ipad control (which I prefer) is lost. The z21 Start is less than a year old. My iphone did say something about "networks" when I opened the z21 app, but the ipad did not. Just to reiterate the router is the one supplied by Roco and it is only used for the train. I played with the settings in my ipad but with no real expertise and obviously no success.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Eric S+13 said:

So if you update your iPad to the latest iOS14 you may want to ensure it still communicates with your Z21.

I’d send a bug report to Roco via the Z21 site and they’ll sort it with the next update. 

• Like 1

I also have an issue today I put a loksound chip into my o gauge A3 I could use my Z21 on the programme track addressed the loco but when I then tried it on the main nothing at all then tried it with a gaugemaster controller no issue at all worked first time. I was trying the Z21 with my iPad.

• RMweb Gold
On 06/10/2020 at 18:07, Duncan John said:

I also have an issue today I put a loksound chip into my o gauge A3 I could use my Z21 on the programme track addressed the loco but when I then tried it on the main nothing at all then tried it with a gaugemaster controller no issue at all worked first time. I was trying the Z21 with my iPad.

If you put it back on the programming track are you able to move the loco ? If so it sounds more like a connection issue between the Z21 unit and the track rather than an issue between the Ipad and Z21 unit

You WERE able to program it successfully so the unit / Ipad / programming track are connected and talking to each other ? Worth double checking your connections

Edited by Mattc6911
To correct gobbledegook

Ok I have put the loco back on the programme track it reads the address but will not move Z21 and iPad used I tries the loco with my Samsung phone again it reads ok on programme track but won’t move.

I tried my pannier tank no problem moves fine with iPad and z21.

it can’t be the chip as it runs fine using a gaugemaster do loksound v5 chips work with Z21 I have an A4 that has loksound 4 chip works perfectly these are both the L plug and play.

• RMweb Gold

Yes loksound 5 works fine with the Z21. To be honest I suspect it’s just an address issue and you may be able to solve it by creating another profile in the app and putting the address in again, it may be a glitch. If not try reprogramming the loco address back to 3 and then try it.

Hi everyone 

I just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions/solutions to my problem, I finally have a fully working loco with all the appropriate sound and functions.

Firstly I deleted the loco from the Z21, I then placed it onto the programme track and reset it via the reset to factory settings CV8 having first adding it back on to the Z21, I used a different address and happy days it worked.

Thanks again for everyone’s advice and tips.

Regards Duncan

• Like 2

Hi Duncan,

Glad you sorted it.  I just wondered by if by chance you gave it an address between 100 and 127.  Some DCC chip manufacturers regard this range of numbers as falling in the two digit range while others regard it as in the four digit range.  Therefore this range of addresses can be problematic with some systems.  For this reason I avoid these numbers.

Just a thought (although a tad late now!)

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know if there is anywhere that will repair a z21 start white? I've had mine for a few few years now and all of a sudden the output voltage has dropped to 11.2v. I've checked their website but all the repair addresses are outside of the UK. Any help would be much appreciated. 

I have a Z21 Black & currently running the earlier version app (which I prefer to the later one) using a fairly basic Android Acer Tablet which is not used for anything else.

It occasionally (but far too often) stops working "unfortunatly Z21 has stopped".

Recently, the tablet froze & despite efforts to restart it had to have a factory reset & because I had lost my google account details I have had to start reloading my locomotive details.

Reading through (nearly) everything on RMW on the Z21 I'm getting the impresion that iPads are a better bet than Android device's, bearing that in mind I'm thinking of buying a replacement tablet my question to anyone who has actually moved from Android to IOS is this ;

Will this be a good move - especially as I do not have a single IOS device anywher ?

Thanks in advance.

Another Question regarding the Z21 App (the older version).

I understand that the maximum amount of locomotives that can be listed is 100.

However, can I list more than 100 locomotives as long as I keep the number of "active" locomotives less than 100 ?

Thanks in advance.

@SamThomas Have you tried using the 'new' app (it is actually several years old now :) ) . Roco stopped development of the 'old app' a long time ago, and there have been many changes to the various Android versions over the years. With the new app still being updated, any issues with Android will be addressed by the updates.