Hornby Magazine OO Gauge Brake Tender

DapolDave

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to announce (having seen mention of it in todays MREMAG) that Dapol have been comissioned by Hornby Magazine to produce in OO gauge a BR Brake Tender exclusively for them.

As we have confidentially agreements betwen both parties i would ask that any questions be sent to Hornby Magazine and not Dapol. However i can say that i think we are only a few days from metal cutting on this as since the magazine went to press with the announcement, we have altered the cad/cam somewhat to make it more detailed.

I have a feeling that these new and final cad/cam's will appear on show at Warley for those interested. :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

• Like 8

Very pleased, this has been a glaring gap. The market is served by a Genesis pewter kit that is showing its age. The cost of that (approx £15+ postage via Ebay) plus the necessary transfers (Fox £8 + postage) should make RTR easily competitive.

Conversely, having got a set of Fox transfers, doing a plasticard version using Bachmann Thomson bogies (as readily available Gresley substitutes) is down as a project. I can see myself having a trio of Diesel brake tenders.

I have a feeling that these new and final cad/cam's will appear on show at Warley for those interested. :locomotive:

So Dave will be showing pictures of his tender behind at Warley ... that will cause a stir ;)

Seriously, sounds like very good news tho.

• Like 2

While I applaud the idea. I have wanted a brake tender for ages.

Lets not forget that Hornby Magazine were responsible for the Stove R.

A model that was not very good.

While I don’t blame Dapol, after all they produced a model to the specification that Hornby Magazine specified.

I hope this time that Dapol have more of an input and we get a model that will be well received.

Edited by Darth Vader
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Dave. Excellent news for us transition era modellers and also the perfect companions for the forthcoming Dapol ED (class 73). I recall at least once seeing an ED working a house coal train with two brake tenders, one fore and one arft.

Something that has always struck me as curious about these. BR had thousands of rapidly going redundant steam loco tenders, with ready made voids to take concrete. Heavily constructed vehicles, which only needed a pair of buffers and regular drawgear on the dragbox (a conversion with precedent in that old tenders were used as water softening sludge tanks) to fit them for the role. If the vac braked types were too tall, a gas axe sorts it out, concrete is a lot denser than water so there would be no volume shortfall. Was that just too easy?

Something that has always struck me as curious about these. BR had thousands of rapidly going redundant steam loco tenders, with ready made voids to take concrete. Heavily constructed vehicles, which only needed a pair of buffers and regular drawgear on the dragbox (a conversion with precedent in that old tenders were used as water softening sludge tanks) to fit them for the role. If the vac braked types were too tall, a gas axe sorts it out, concrete is a lot denser than water so there would be no volume shortfall. Was that just too easy?

Purely surmise, but I would have thought that propelling a six-wheeled vehicle for significant distances would be contrary to some regulation or other.

Remember that brake tenders were propelled at least as often as they were hauled.

As to available models, ABS do (did?) a very nice kit in 4mm. scale.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Two broad diagrams of diesel brake tender were built crudely "straight" (earlier batches) or "rounded" body.

They are available RTR already from Britannia Pacific models, or as previously mentioned genesis kits.

http://www.britannia...uk/DieselBT.htm

But at £50 each or £90 for a pair, a tad pricey - but then they are custom built. I'm guessing the later rounded body batch which were most numerous will be the subject of the Hornby magazine commission, but the square ones look particularly nice behind hydraulics. Here's D1036 with one and a nice rake of 21T hoppers, which although I've posted before I don't think on this iteration of the forum - must get on with my Parkside kits now.

Neil

post-6925-0-99739400-1352549239.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've read my Hornby mag today and the brake tender looks superb. Its BR diagram 556, the "thunderbird 2" round-top type on ex-LNER bogies. Just one observation, I can't see the dumb bars on the outer ends of the bogies in the CADs shown in the magazine. This could be the viewing angle, rather than an omission though. I already have a couple of kit-bult ones, but I can see a few of these making their way into my stock box. :)

• RMweb Gold

In my quest for more info I went to the Hornby magazine website and then purchased the iPad app to download a free copy of the magazine. Details for the brake tender are in the December issue, and I promptly bought 6 back copies for £14.99 as I was very impressed with the newsstand app used to read the electronic copies of the magazine.

I'm definately going to use this method to read my magazines in future - my bookshelves are groaning with back copies of railway modeller, model rail and BRM and I don't have space for more. I've let my subscriptions lapse as a result.

Neil

.... Its BR diagram 556, the "thunderbird 2" round-top type on ex-LNER bogies

I make no claim to be an expert but my research, (which includes reference to the BR diagrams - no guarantee of accuracy!) - and David Larkin's data sheets, has produced the following list of brake tenders :-

Diagram 1/555; Lot 3446; built Cowlairs; B964035, ExDE320848; non-standard 'flat' body; diagram shows 'rounded' body & Gresley bogies.

Diagram 1/555; Lot 3446; built Cowlairs; B964036/7, ExDE320922/3; diagram shows 'rounded' body & Gresley bogies.

Diagram 1/555; Lot 3448; built York; B964038-105; diagram shows 'rounded' body & Gresley bogies.

Diagram 1/555; Lot 3500; built York; B964112-121; diagram shows 'rounded' body & Gresley bogies.

Diagram 1/556; Lot 3442; built Derbyshire; B964000-4; diagram shows 'rounded' body & Stanier bogies.

Diagram 1/556; Lot 3443; built Central; B964005-19; diagram shows 'rounded' body & Stanier bogies.

Diagram 1/556; Part Lot 3444; built Standard; B964020-8; diagram shows 'rounded' body & Stanier bogies.

Diagram 1/556; Part Lot 3445; built Standard; B964031-4; diagram shows 'rounded' body & Stanier bogies.

Diagram 1/557; Part Lot 3444; built Standard; B964029; diagram shows 'rounded' body & Stanier bogies.

Diagram 1/557; Part Lot 3445; built Marcroft; B964030; diagram shows 'rounded' body & Stanier bogies.

Diagram 1/558; Lot 3449; built Stratford; B964106-111; diagram shows 'angular' body & Gresley bogies.

I haven't had time to check how all this ties in (or not!) with published photos; I expect that there will be a flurry of postings pointing out the inaccuracy of the BR records.

Notwithstanding that, it would appear that the Hornby Magazine model will be either :-

Diagram 1/555; Lot 3446; built Cowlairs; B964036/7, ExDE320922/3;

Diagram 1/555; Lot 3448; built York; B964038-105;

or Diagram 1/555; Lot 3500; built York; B964112-121.

On the face of it, simply substituting Stanier bogies would produce Diagrams 1/556 and 1/557.

Let the barrage commence !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3

There was a article in update, the DEMU mag about these a while ago. IIRC the stanier bogie had a different wheelbase, longer than the gresley, resulting in a vehicle that was longer overall in body.

And as to why they were built instead of using old steam tenders, remember a lot of the old tenders were only steam braked. Doing this using old coach bogies mans you have 4 braked axles instead of only 3.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just as a general comment, but, I sincerely hope that the CAD's shown in the magazine are not anywhere near the ones which the model will be produced from or they will finish up with another shocker of a model.

Hopefully they will allow DD some professional input as to the final outcome of the model.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

The magazine did state that the CADs shown were not the final versions. Rather than make such a sweeping general statement perhaps a direct approach to the Magazine with constructive feedback / comments would be a better idea for all concerned?

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The magazine did state that the CADs shown were not the final versions. Rather than make such a sweeping general statement perhaps a direct approach to the Magazine with constructive feedback / comments would be a better idea for all concerned?

At Spalding they didn't want to know, hence my last comment.

Mike.

Hi,

If anyone wishes to PM me with their comments i will pass them onto HM directly.

However please be aware that there have been several incarnations of the cad/cam since HM went to press and quite a few changes have been made. so just because problems can be seen, doesnt mean that HM havent seen them and asked for the DBT cad/cam to be altered to reflect this.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

At Spalding they didn't want to know, hence my last comment.

Mike.

I am not surprised that the sales staff on the stand, whom are not directly involved in the project, were able to discuss the finer detail of the project. Also Mike would have been concentrating on operating the layout alongside the stand.

As Dapol Dave has kindly offered to pass on any PMs from here to HM it makes the route for constructive comments / feedback nice and simple.

• Like 2

IIRC the stanier bogie had a different wheelbase, longer than the gresley, resulting in a vehicle that was longer overall in body.

Sort of.

According to the BR diagrams (not infallible!), of the 'rounded' type :-

1/555 with 8'-6'' Gresley bogies were 28'-9'' over headstocks;

1/556 with 9'-0'' Stanier bogies were 31'-9'' over headstocks;

1/557 with 9'-0'' Stanier bogies were 28'-9'' over headstocks.

So, is the Hornby Magazine / Dapol model to be a 'short' or a 'long' bodied version? A 'short' body could be fitted with both Gresley and Stanier bogies!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I am not surprised that the sales staff on the stand, whom are not directly involved in the project, were able to discuss the finer detail of the project. Also Mike would have been concentrating on operating the layout alongside the stand.

As Dapol Dave has kindly offered to pass on any PMs from here to HM it make the route for constructive comments / feedback nice and simple.

But surely in such circumstances a polite "we can't help but please send your comments in by email" or words to that effect would have been preferable that the apparent off-hand dismissal implied by Enterprisingwestern's post (sorry if i'm making an incorrect assumption here). After all, HM presumably will want the model to sell out and bad publicity will do it no favours whatsoever.

• Like 2