Hornby Magazine OO Gauge Brake Tender

DapolDave

Afternoon all, and good to see that the brake tender is getting plenty of interest.

As Dave stated the CAD/CAM drawings have under gone a large number of revisions since those published in the December issue as we move this project forward. However, all constructive comments are greatly appreciated as we really want to make this model of the diesel brake tender as good as it possibly can be.

With regard to the Spalding show - my apologies. However, if anyone wishes to pass on any comments directly to myself please e-mail Hornby.magazine@wildcomms.com - we still have time to make amendments and I would greatly value the input of anyone who has information or views on the diesel brake tender model.

I will also add images of the latest CAD/CAM file to this thread asap.

Best regards,

Mike Wild.

• Like 9

Morning All!

Below are a few images from the latest CAD/CAM drawings for the Hornby Magazine Diesel Brake Tender. Any suggestions and comments are welcome - we want to get this model right and before we hit the big green button to start metal cutting!

Enjoy!

ASM-SMTROE151112_5.jpg

ASM-SMTROE151112_4.jpg

ASM-SMTROE151112_3.jpg

ASM-SMTROE151112_2.jpg

ASM-SMTROE151112_1.jpg

If you have any comments please feel free to contact me by e-mailing Hornby.magazine@wildcomms.com

Best regards,

Mike Wild.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

I applaud your approach. I'm sure you will get constructive feedback.

I hope this will be the norm from now on- other RTR suppliers outside the Dapol stable would benefit too if they adopted this approach, as would other commissioned models.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not interested in them - thankfully well out of period for me - but that latest CAD shows a distinct improvement in the curvature of the upper part, Eastern pattern lamps with Gresley bogies is a nice touch as is using Class 8 headcode; but it presumably means both ends will be lamped?

The step on the bottom front of the bogie needs to be squared off - if possible - and there are no lifeguards, look at the pic on this link -

Brake tender and D355

The shape of the top of the bogies doesn't look quite right to me but that might be due to their pale colouring. No comment on bodyside detail as it did vary.

I'm not interested in them - thankfully well out of period for me - but that latest CAD shows a distinct improvement in the curvature of the upper part, Eastern pattern lamps with Gresley bogies is a nice touch as is using Class 8 headcode; but it presumably means both ends will be lamped?

The step on the bottom front of the bogie needs to be squared off - if possible - and there are no lifeguards, look at the pic on this link -

http://www.flickr.co...610621/sizes/l/

The shape of the top of the bogies doesn't look quite right to me but that might be due to their pale colouring. No comment on bodyside detail as it did vary.

Thanks for the comments. The lamps will be separate items which will be in the detailing pack rather than permanently fixed to the model. With regard to the guard irons some vehicles had them, some didn't so the current thinking is that we will include these as separate fittings for those who wish to attach them after purchase. Also thanks for the comment about the step - we'll get this corrected!

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the guard irons some vehicles had them, some didn't so the current thinking is that we will include these as separate fittings for those who wish to attach them after purchase.

Thanks for that Mike. A cunning plan and It explains why I couldn't see them on the original CADs. Will there be an order form in the January mag? :-)

Thanks for that Mike. A cunning plan and It explains why I couldn't see them on the original CADs. Will there be an order form in the January mag? :-)

No problems. We won't be taking orders just yet - we want to get the model progressed further and a more definitive date on arrival before we start taking orders. As soon as we are ready though there will be an order form in the magazine! :)

• RMweb Premium

Having built all kits but the Genisis kits* and scratchbuilt many more I feel that the overall height of the body is wrong. If you look at the photo in the link Mike (Stationmaster) has provided the height from the bottom of the front to the top of the "piano" lid top is 4 buffer beams high. The CAD it is just over five buffer beams high.

It would be a great pity to get the height wrong. Mopok made their model too high by the same amount. As a very basic vac formed plastic moulding it was easy to alter but if the intended Hornby Magazine model is going to be of greater detail then It will not be easy to alter. I little suggestion, buy a Inter-city or ABS model to copy. Both are correct.

Yours

Clive

*with only 120 built Hanging Hill have 10 already there was no need to make any of these.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

Having built all kits but the Genisis kits* and scratchbuilt many more I feel that the overall height of the body is wrong. If you look at the photo in the link Mike (Stationmaster) has provided the height from the bottom of the front to the top of the "piano" lid top is 4 buffer beams high. The CAD it is just over five buffer beams high.

It would be a great pity to get the height wrong. Mopok made their model too high by the same amount. As a very basic vac formed plastic moulding it was easy to alter but if the intended Hornby Magazine model is going to be of greater detail then It will not be easy to alter. I little suggestion, buy a Inter-city or ABS model to copy. Both are correct.

Yours

Clive

*with only 120 built Hanging Hill have 10 already there was no need to make any of these.

Hi Clive,

Thanks for comments about the overall height - it is something that we are currently checking as both Dave and myself felt that the model looked too tall overall. We'll be looking into this today to make the necessary amendments.

Thanks,

Mike

• RMweb Premium

On the face of it, simply substituting Stanier bogies would produce Diagrams 1/556 and 1/557.

Let the barrage commence !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Sorry John, but the Stanier-bogied ones were some 2ft longer to accommodate the longer bogies.

And the 2 1/557s (B964029/030) have long been alleged to ride on BR1 bogies (mentioned in various sources), though the BR diagram for 1/557 shows 9' wheelbase bogies. But under the shorter body, the outer ends of the LMS bogies would protrude almost ahead of the buffer faces?? I think the BR diagram is wrong :scratchhead: A photo would solve the riddle, but neither '029 or '030 have appeared thus far. If anyone knows different... :no:

I've also just PM'd DD and MW the latest version of the Brake Tender piece I did for DEMU (which also appeared as an EMGS sheet, IIRC) as I'd like an accurate RTR model or three (especially if I could just drop EM wheels in! *he hinted*)

Edited by CloggyDeux
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.flickr.co...610621/sizes/l/

Whats a lifeguard................as an ex swimming instructor, I'm sure I'd know one if I saw one. :scratchhead:

I've not heard of a lifeguard in relation to railways.?? But I'm sure I will soon.

Bob.

PS.....Well Done Hornby Magazine and Dapol............I'll be having one, and so will many others I'm sure.( with or without lifeguards)

PPS...think I may have worked it out for myself......the metal bars pointing down at each rail..?? If thats them, I had no idea thats what they were called.

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Gold

Whats a lifeguard................as an ex swimming instructor, I'm sure I'd know one if I saw one. :scratchhead:

I've not heard of a lifeguard in relation to railways.?? But I'm sure I will soon.

Bob.

PS.....Well Done Hornby Magazine and Dapol............I'll be having one, and so will many others I'm sure.( with or without lifeguards)

PPS...think I may have worked it out for myself......the metal bars pointing down at each rail..?? If thats them, I had no idea thats what they were called.

Well done Bob - you've worked it out correctly (but don't ask me why they're called lifeguards although I can see a bit of sense in the term).

• 2 months later...

Morning All,

Much has been happening in the background with this project correcting details, sorting the body profile and height and checking and rechecking measurements. Below is a selection of images from the very latest CAD/CAM drawing which is pretty much there now - although the brake shoes are missing from this version, but will be replaced. As always your comments are welcome - we want to make sure this model is correct before we hit the big green tooling button!

Thanks,

Mike

ASM-SMTROE-19_zps797628ca.jpg

ASM-SMTROE-19_6_zpse5b18bbd.jpg

ASM-SMTROE-19_5_zps90b7f716.jpg

ASM-SMTROE-19_4_zps7471538a.jpg

ASM-SMTROE-19_3_zpsd5b9249c.jpg

ASM-SMTROE-19_2_zpsf232433e.jpg

ASM-SMTROE-19_1_zpsb0eca5fa.jpg

• Like 2

Afternoon all!

Below are the latest CAD/CAM drawings of the diesel brake tender with a few more revisions including reinstatement of the brake shoes. We are currently looking at providing optional guard irons and three and four spoke handbrake wheels to offer a little customisation to the model. 

Enjoy!

Mike

ASM-SMTROE_1_zpse0af6c85.jpg

ASM-SMTROE_3_zpsbf24fc34.jpg

ASM-SMTROE_4_zps4fb817ea.jpg

ASM-SMTROE_2_zpsb369c300.jpg

ASM-SMTROE_5_zps8c906940.jpg

ASM-SMTROE_6_zps0b0fa67f.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

I have just taken the side and end views of the CAD and I overlaied the BR diagrams 1/555 and 1/556 over them. The body is still too high. The buffers are too wide apart. And I think you have placed Gresley bogies under a 1/556 body as I cannot get the bogies and body to line up. The 1/556 had LMS bogies and a longer body because the bogies are longer. The 1/555 had a shorter body and Gresley bogies. The body is too long for a diagram 1/555. The radius of the body top does not match that of the BR diagrams.

For the BR diagrams http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRFreight2Issue.pdf

• Like 2

Hi Mike

I have just taken the side and end views of the CAD and I overlaied the BR diagrams 1/555 and 1/556 over them. The body is still too high. The buffers are too wide apart. And I think you have placed Gresley bogies under a 1/556 body as I cannot get the bogies and body to line up. The 1/556 had LMS bogies and a longer body because the bogies are longer. The 1/555 had a shorter body and Gresley bogies. The body is too long for a diagram 1/555. The radius of the body top does not match that of the BR diagrams.

For the BR diagrams http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRFreight2Issue.pdf

Mike / DapolDave,

I have been concerned as to the provenance of this proposed model from the day that it was announced; see my posts 17 & 24 in this thread.

It has been suggested that the BR diagrams may not accurately reflect what was actually built, but it would help us to make constructive comment if we knew which BR diagram the model is meant to represent.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I have 4 BR diagrams:

1/555 Short/Gresley - 32'6" over buffers, Gresley 8'6" bogies at 15'3" centres, Lot 3446 (which would be valid only for DE320922/B964036 Cowlairs 1961) but 1/555 also covers B964038-105/112-121 which is bourne out by photographic evidence. The lower bodyside has a tumblehome.

1/556 Long/Stanier - 35'6" over buffers, Stanier 9' bogies at 15'3" centres. Lot 3442 B964000-4, Lot 3443 B964005-19, Part Lot 3444 B964020-028, part lot 3445 B964031-34, all bourne out by photos. Lower bodyside is flat.

1/557 Short/Stanier? - 32'6" over buffers, Stanier 9' bogies at 15'3" centres. Part Lot 3444 B964029, Part Lot 3445 B964030. However... I've seen at least 3 references which report that these were actually on 8'6" BR1 bogies (the BR Mk1 coach bogie) but this is unproven by photographic evidence.

1/558 - the 6 angular tenders built by Stratford works, 31'9" over buffers, 8' Gresley bogies at 15' centres. Lot 3449 B964106-111

Basically you should not use the same body for Gresley and Stanier bogies, there's a 3' difference in length as well as the tumblehome/flat side issue.

I can't see the new CAD drawings (that's TfL's wonderful internet filters for you), so will comment further when I see them at home this evening.

Edited by CloggyDeux

Guest jim s-w

Hi peeps

Proving cad and asking for feedback is good but you are actually asking us to hunt arround for pictures to compare them too in roughly the same angles. Since the cad can be posed at any angles can I ask that you find a load of prototype pictures and post them while at the same time posing the cad at the same angle so that we can compare?

As mentioned in the western thread, CAD without a comparible prototype image is pretty useless really and we dont want to end up in the same place where the only real comparrison pictures are those posed by modellers once the model is released.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 1