Hornby Magazine OO Gauge Brake Tender

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

Hi peeps

Proving cad and asking for feedback is good but you are actually asking us to hunt arround for pictures to compare them too in roughly the same angles. Since the cad can be posed at any angles can I ask that you find a load of prototype pictures and post them while at the same time posing the cad at the same angle so that we can compare?

As mentioned in the western thread, CAD without a comparible prototype image is pretty useless really and we dont want to end up in the same place where the only real comparrison pictures are those posed by modellers once the model is released.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim

A cad is also not very helpful if it is being drawn without using the correct dimensions.

• Like 1

I would say it still looks to high. Without knowing which Dia they have gone for but splitting the difference between body widths and working on the 7'9" dimension scaling at 31mm the dimension between the buffer centre line an the top allowing for the thickness of the printed and my pencil lines is 3-4mm to high.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon Gents,

As a starting point I am currently looking into all dimensions for this model. Also, I would like to confirm that we are working on the diagram 1/555 version with a tumblehome to body and Gresley bogies.

Thank you also to DaveF and Michael Delamar for posting up their images - much appreciated and very useful.

Thanks,

Mike

Odd - to the best of my knowledge, diagram 556 had Stanier bogies.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Here are some dia 556 versions

post-4697-0-29292800-1364326901.jpgpost-4697-0-88147700-1364326936.jpgpost-4697-0-34135100-1364326996.jpg

followed by a dia 555. I'm sure I had already sent these to Hornby Magazine but can't remember as I've had no reply, so maybe I didn't.

post-4697-0-66751300-1364327289.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Is the PDK kits version a diagram 1/556 as it has no tumblehome ??

No, it is a 1/555, they did not model the tumblehome. If you look at the photos on this thread some of the 1/555 (ones with Gresley bogies) it is quite difficult to see a noticable tumbleholme despite it being there. It starts at the same height as the top of the buffer beam and only goes in little. See http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/braketender/h2751ccfa#h1384c32e this photo shows it the best.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Afternoon All!

I have good news in that we have just approved the CAD/CAM artwork for the 'OO' gauge diesel brake tender. An awful lot of work has gone into this since my last posts on here and I would like to thank everyone who has offered information, comment and images of the real vehicles. 

I hope you all enjoy the following images from the very latest CAD/CAM drawings and if you have any comments my ears (or eyes as the case maybe) are always open!

Have a good weekend!

Mike

ASM-SMTROE-28_19713_zps019251d1.jpg

ASM-SMTROE-28_19713_1_zpsbd63b102.jpg

ASM-SMTROE-28_19713_3_zps94a5b40f.jpg

ASM-SMTROE-28_19713_4_zpsa41020cc.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hello Mike,

Looking very good indeed, I can see myself getting one when they are out.

But we now have a race, which will be ready first? The 4mm one or the 12" to the foot one?

On your marks....

DSC01887s.jpg

It looks like you have a head start.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Where is this being built.? And when is the models anticipated release date.?

Bob.

Edited by 250BOB

• 2 months later...

Evening All,

The tooling work for the diesel brake tender is underway as I type and the model is moving forwards. We (Hornby Magazine) are also now taking pre-orders for the brake tender which will be released in four liveries. The anticipated release date is May 2014 at present.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

2 questions:

1. will the correct 14mm coach disc wheels be fitted? (thinking of the faff required to get them in the Stove)

2. have the bogies been designed with EM/P4 modellers in mind?

Hi Alan

Looking at the last CAD drawing the bogies will not be a problem as I think I would replace them. There is no sign of the axle box springs, the tops of which should show above the bogie side frame. The middle spring on the boltser should be much further back. And lastly the vehicle is called a "brake tender", it would be good if there were some correct sized brakes to clasp on the wheels.

Edit: It might be an idea if Dapol are making this form them to scale up their N gauge bogie and add some brakes to it. Otherwise it looks very good.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Clive,

That's a tad acerbic, damning with (very) faint praise?

I did order the 'stove' sight unseen, and then reaped the whirlwind; given that, and I would like/need these brake tenders for my transition Notts. layout, and I am in Oz, perhaps I may be better to wait?

Cheers, but concerned,

Peter C.

• RMweb Premium

Erm... picked up the Hornby mag today to get the pre-order gen...

Noted as a diag 1/556 tender, 14mm wheels confirmed.

'Liveries planned for the initial batches are:

B964003 (all green)

B964010 (green small panel)

B964019 (green 'large' panel)

B964033 (blue 'large panel')

Which all tally with the 1/556 info and pics a number of people have readily and willingly supplied

However... given the CADs here and in the mag clearly show a short/rounded body on Gresley 8'6" bogies.... anyone else spot the fatal flaw??

*headdesk*

Edited by CloggyDeux
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Erm... picked up the Hornby mag today to get the pre-order gen...

Noted as a diag 1/556 tender, 14mm wheels confirmed.

'Liveries planned for the initial batches are:

B964003 (all green)

B964010 (green small panel)

B964019 (green 'large' panel)

B964033 (blue 'large panel')

Which all tally with the 1/556 info and pics a number of people have readily and willingly supplied

However... given the CADs here and in the mag clearly show a short/rounded body on Gresley 8'6" bogies.... anyone else spot the fatal flaw??

*headdesk*

Hi Alan

Oh dear :no: