Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Continuing the show and tell theme and bringing in a few other recent discussion points, here are some recent photos of our old North Cornwall Railway layout "Treneglos" taken by Andy York. The layout was first exhibited back in 2004 after only a 12 month build. It was the combined efforts of a core team of three (me, John Wardle and Damian Ross) plus later contributions by a few others. It did nearly 40 shows on the circuit, including one in central France and we sold it in January. I've slightly knocked back the colour in the photos to give the feel of some photos of the period. (I find the photos in many mags over bright and shouty.)

The first is Maunsell N Class 31406 on a down freight to Wadebridge. All is RTR except for the kit built SR van. The Bachmann loco was converted to one of the final batch of locos which was left hand drive (various bits chopped off one side and stuck on the other). It has been weathered, coaled, has SR route disks and detail added to the front. On the footplate is an inspector in a bowler hat, so the crew are on best behaviour! The cattle vans and shock van are weathered Bachmann.

The hills in the background were painted by John and Andy has inserted a slightly hazy sky as the lighting conditions in the room were less than ideal for a mag shoot.

attachicon.gifmsg-6675-0-13528500-1517909677.jpg

The second photo shows Bulleid Light Pacific 34075 264 Squadron arriving at Treneglos with an Exeter bound train from Padstow. Again all RTR but this time from Hornby.

The loco is a wide cabbed one but has been correctly paired with a narrow 4500gal tender, one of the few to retain its high sheeted sides (raves). The loco has been: renumbered and renamed; had the firebox/bogie amended to remove the gap; had some of the access panels opened up and equipment behind modelled; had the front bogie amended to chop off the coupling block and fit AWS; and had route disks and various pipes fitted. The distinctive drain cocks have been omitted as they fouled the bogie wheels.

Hornby provide the brake rods and the front steps and both are a real s0d to keep on a loco that's used as the plastic really doesn't like glue. The vast majority of my Bulleid fleet have lost their front steps in service over the years. Unlike the rebuilt Bulleid from the same stable, there is no fixing pin to help keep the steps in place.

The coaches are Hornby Maunsells and are so much better than the Ian Kirk kits we originally had. They have had: detail added to the underframe and weathered; compartment interiors repainted, mirrors and pictures added; a few passengers added; the plastic roof repainted; the horrid bright white toilet glazing dulled right back; numbers amended to suit a prototypical 2 coach set and the set number added to the ends; the upper end steps have been removed as per the period and some moulded end detail replaced with castings and wire.

attachicon.gifmsg-6675-0-00788200-1517908815.jpg

All the buildings were scratch built and the track was OO C&L.

Did the majority of people seeing the stock notice the modifications? Nope. It could therefore be argued why bother. I did it for the enjoyment - both mine and also the half dozen viewers that noticed over the years. Great conversations were had with the latter.

The layout in its original form was built in secret by the three core builders. After appearing at its first show we had help from a number of folk (Geoff, Andy, Terry, Nigel, Fred, Ron and others) both in taking the layout out and in improving it. A good group effort.

It was very sad to see the layout go but I still have the stock and lots of memories of going 'on tour' with it and friends.

(Those wanting to see and read more about the layout are directed to the April BRM. I think there are still some copies in shops and there's always the electronic Pocketmags copy which contains far more photos.)

I love these photos .... what ever you have done they give a great sense of realism and atmosphere - perhaps that is because there is a feeling of old colour photos from the 70s when I grew up. excellent modelling an weathering too.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Just a quick thank you to all who've shown their work in the last few days. 

It's this sort of self-reliance and personal modelling which appeals to me more than anything else. 

Nobody need ask if they may show their work on here - quite the contrary. 

I go away for a day (to an LNER Society meeting) and the thread just fizzes. Wonderful!

Regards to all posters,

Tony. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I love these photos .... what ever you have done they give a great sense of realism and atmosphere - perhaps that is because there is a feeling of old colour photos from the 70s when I grew up. excellent modelling an weathering too. Thanks.

Thanks. I just adjusted the colour slightly using a free phone app, the sort that folk use on fakebook and instigramme. It just had a number of filters you can try out to see what effect it has on the image. I wouldn't claim in anyway the colouration is now realistic to real life, but in my own mind it made me instantly think of some period photos and postcards - the sort that are slightly washed out and hazy. Very much the opposite of the heavily pushed colouration that's popular in many mags these days. I think they are now two of my favourite photos of the layout.

Big thank you to Andy York for the original photos and dropping the sky and a hint of smoke in. Cheating? Yes, but IMO more pleasant than various household interior items (pictures, wall lights, windows, walls, ceiling, curtains etc) that were visible above our painted backscene. He did keep the painted landscape though, just lost the painted sky.

Oh, spot the squirrel that's in one of the photos and the tramp that's in the other...

• Like 3

Hello Tony

While I am on my pet hates another one has just appeared.

Crest.....it is an emblem. Newts and Grebes have crest, not trains. I think the confusion comes from heraldry. The coat of arms as displayed on the shield, has a helm on its upper edge  and the plume of feathers or other ornament that surmount the helm are refereed referred to as the crest. The term crest being used incorrectly in place of the coat of arms comes from the days when the crest only was used as the "header" on official paper work instead of the full coat of arms. In heraldry terms the British Railways device is an emblem.

The earlier device was officially called a totem.

attachicon.gifNot a crest.png

Pedant mode in operation -

The Mortimore Coat of Arms as shewn is,strictly-writing,incorrect.

The 'Mantling.' either side should be counter-coloured:  ie.: what is red, (gules.), on one side should be gold, (or.), on the other and vice-versa.

In practice crests started coming into use on the battlefield about the same time as the introduction of gun-powder -- the  siege of Caerlaverock Castle, near to DUMFRIES,  in July 1300 AD..

:locomotive:

Edited by unclebobkt

To illustrate your point, this was taken at St Austell recently, on the Paddington to Penzance main line. It’s not just secondary lines where standards have dropped... although some might argue that all lines in Cornwall have become secondary in recent years.    Phil

attachicon.gifD340C45A-56B8-4901-817D-5FA09042B0B3.jpeg

I believe, from past correspondence, that we have to thank the Eurocrats in Sproutsium for this proliferation of greenery;  reportedly they have mandated the dilution in the strengths of the toxicities for permitted weed-killers..

Construction of the new SE Finecast A3 continues apace............

post-18225-0-85157200-1524915072_thumb.jpg

Just a few more bits to do on the bodywork, then the motion. 

post-18225-0-07166400-1524915116_thumb.jpg

It's being made to replace this modified Horny A3, which I sold some little time ago (I assume the new owner is happy?). Though I'm under no illusions that the one I'm building will be better, that's not the point as far as I'm concerned. Apart from my detailing/renumbering/renaming/weathering this Hornby model, that's it. I can claim little more than (past) ownership, which I'm slightly 'twitchy' about. A personal thing, of course.

What has been proved (proven?) is that the one I'm making will pull a considerable amount more.  

• Like 7

Construction of the new SE Finecast A3 continues apace............

attachicon.gifA3 06.jpg

Just a few more bits to do on the bodywork, then the motion. 

attachicon.gifmodified Hornby A3 02.jpg

It's being made to replace this modified Horny A3, which I sold some little time ago (I assume the new owner is happy?). Though I'm under no illusions that the one I'm building will be better, that's not the point as far as I'm concerned. Apart from my detailing/renumbering/renaming/weathering this Hornby model, that's it. I can claim little more than (past) ownership, which I'm slightly 'twitchy' about. A personal thing, of course.

What has been proved (proven?) is that the one I'm making will pull a considerable amount more.  

Afternoon Tony,

a morning in the soggy garden pays for a couple of minutes dawdling on the internet. I'm not a great fan of the Hornby A3 as a whole, wonky valve gear, towering tender and acres of daylight where it shouldn't be and conversely blocked of where daylight should show. I would have thought that yours would have a good chance of being better in many respects. Different might be a better term rather than better or worse.

Afternoon Tony,

a morning in the soggy garden pays for a couple of minutes dawdling on the internet. I'm not a great fan of the Hornby A3 as a whole, wonky valve gear, towering tender and acres of daylight where it shouldn't be and conversely blocked of where daylight should show. I would have thought that yours would have a good chance of being better in many respects. Different might be a better term rather than better or worse.

Thanks Andrew,

I agree about the Hornby valve gear in particular. It really is very poor in both 'thickness' and proportion. 

Those eight-wheeled tenders were very tall, however, whatever the type. 

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick thank you to all who've shown their work in the last few days. 

It's this sort of self-reliance and personal modelling which appeals to me more than anything else. 

Nobody need ask if they may show their work on here - quite the contrary. 

I go away for a day (to an LNER Society meeting) and the thread just fizzes. Wonderful!

Regards to all posters,

Tony.

It is also encouraging to those of us who are currently building baseboards and laying track, with a yet-to-materialise vision of things that will be worthy of posting in the months to come...
  • Like 3

Thanks Andrew,

I agree about the Hornby valve gear in particular. It really is very poor in both 'thickness' and proportion. 

Those eight-wheeled tenders were very tall, however, whatever the type. 

Tony,

I painted a SEF A3 some years ago. There was room for improvement with some parts if you were so inclined, but the general outline was very good. I thought that the assembled boiler was a particularly good example of white metal craftsmanship..

With regard to the Hornby eight wheel tenders, the ones that I have looked at personally have been proportionally accurate. However, all of them sat too high on the wheels by about one or two mm. Apparently a number of people have complained that the lettering on the tender of the LNER versions has been applied too high, it is indeed out of line with the cab numbers. The lettering is actually in the correct place on the tender, it's the whole body that wants to be lowered on its wheel sets.

It is also encouraging to those of us who are currently building baseboards and laying track, with a yet-to-materialise vision of things that will be worthy of posting in the months to come...

It's a pity there's only one 'agree' button, Phil,

This morning, the chap came round for whom I'm building two A2/2s. I showed him the completed one (before painting), putting it through its paces and displaying what it could do. Though he's built locos (and continues to do so), he admits that a full-blown Pacific, complete with all the twiddly bits, is a bit beyond him. It would seem that ill-health precludes him from completing some of the procedures - flux fumes, solvent and paint fumes, and so on. 

However, he's keen to get started with building baseboards (wearing a mask I suppose), laying track, doing the wiring, building the scenery and structures and what have you. He's going to build a (simple) section of the ECML down Stoke Bank. Why? Because that's where he used to trainspot as a boy, including at Little Bytham. He doesn't have the space I have, so it'll just be a four-track section through this delightful Lincolnshire limestone country. A 'watch the trains go by' layout, all built by himself. 

'Inspirational' is what he wrote in my visitors' book. I hope so. I'll help him all I can. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Pedant mode in operation -

The Mortimore Coat of Arms as shewn is,strictly-writing,incorrect.

The 'Mantling.' either side should be counter-coloured:  ie.: what is red, (gules.), on one side should be gold, (or.), on the other and vice-versa.

In practice crests started coming into use on the battlefield about the same time as the introduction of gun-powder -- the  siege of Caerlaverock Castle, near to DUMFRIES,  in July 1300 AD..

I wouldn't know. It was the first coat of arms with my surname I came across so I used it was an example. On Google there appears to be several Mortimer coat of arms and as both names derive from the same source, one of the others might be the right one.

All I know in the listing of well known Mortimores on the page where I found that version of the coat of arms was my uncle John. Ex Chelsea footballer, one time manager of Benfica. :imsohappy:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All I know in the listing of well known Mortimores on the page where I found that version of the coat of arms was my uncle John. Ex Chelsea footballer, one time manager of Benfica. :imsohappy:

Ah, the days of Chopper Harris, The Cat and co.

• RMweb Premium

Something a bit different in the modified RTR section

attachicon.gif3F2CE1F8-3FC7-4814-9497-C82197890329.jpeg

This is an old Mainline Mogo body, (20+ years old from the spares box, the chassis of similar vintage), grafted onto a 10ft fitted chassis from Ratio. It gives a much finer look, and anyone wanting to try kit building that isn’t keen on the painting side will like this, all that’s needed is the chassis painting black. You still get all the learning points of making a chassis square, fitting wheels and bearings, working out how to fit it to the body, and plenty of ‘I built that’ too. Built today, it took a couple of hours to do start to finish including paint.

...and it has the important (but often missed) tie rods between the axleboxes.  Nice job!!

This morning's job has seen the completion of the SE Finecast A3. 

post-18225-0-69520000-1525007624_thumb.jpg

It'll be very much a layout loco, and has already whirled 14 kit-built bogies round LB with no fuss. 

I haven't done any washing/cleaning as yet (best left to the painter, Geoff Haynes), but yet again, it looks like I've made a relief model of the Moon! My naked eye tells me that my soldered joints are neat and tidy, that the number of blobs have been kept to a minimum, and the surfaces are super-smooth. Then, I take a picture, like this, and my eye tells lies! Who was it who said 'a coat of paint hides a multitude of sins'? I hope he/she was right. 

post-18225-0-38196300-1525008185_thumb.jpg

I must admit, I was unaware of Andrew's (Headstock) observation that the Hornby A3 tender rides too high. Then, I looked again at this picture. It is, by at least 2mm. Look how the lining at the base of the tender is so much higher than that at the base of the cab. When I modified/altered/renumbered/renamed/weathered this example, I was blissfully unaware (and lacking in perception) of the discrepancy. Not only that, it does tower over the cab roof and the adjacent carriage. Yes, the big Gresley tenders were tall, but not this tall. I hope the chap I sold it to is still happy. 

Its replacement, in the form of another SE Finecast A3, awaits. 

• Like 5

Have you an opinion on where exactly the height error lies (or errors lie) in the Hornby tender underframe? I don't have the time or urge to measure my examples at present but the buffer heights don't appear grossly excessive compared to the leading carriage in that last picture. Is the rear of the loco at the correct height?

This morning's job has seen the completion of the SE Finec0ast A3.

attachicon.gifA3 07.jpg

It'll be very much a layout loco, and has already whirled 14 kit-built bogies round LB with no fuss. 

I haven't done any washing/cleaning as yet (best left to the painter, Geoff Haynes), but yet again, it looks like I've made a relief model of the Moon! My naked eye tells me that my soldered joints are neat and tidy, that the number of blobs have been kept to a minimum, and the surfaces are super-smooth. Then, I take a picture, like this, and my eye tells lies! Who was it who said 'a coat of paint hides a multitude of sins'? I hope he/she was right. 

attachicon.gifA3 60111 Hornby.jpg

I must admit, I was unaware of Andrew's (Headstock) observation that the Hornby A3 tender rides too high. Then, I looked again at this picture. It is, by at least 2mm. Look how the lining at the base of the tender is so much higher than that at the base of the cab. When I modified/altered/renumbered/renamed/weathered this example, I was blissfully unaware (and lacking in perception) of the discrepancy. Not only that, it does tower over the cab roof and the adjacent carriage. Yes, the big Gresley tenders were tall, but not this tall. I hope the chap I sold it to is still happy. 

Its replacement, in the form of another SE Finecast A3, awaits.

A friend of mine lowers his tenders by throwing away the chassis and building a brass one. It transforms the overall look of the Hornby Gresley pacifics. He has also recently started binning the loco chassis as well having had too many fail.

Have you an opinion on where exactly the height error lies (or errors lie) in the Hornby tender underframe? I don't have the time or urge to measure my examples at present but the buffer heights don't appear grossly excessive compared to the leading carriage in that last picture. Is the rear of the loco at the correct height?

Afternoon Graham,

the centre of the wheels sit too low in relation to the axel boxes.

My own model of 60111 Enterprise, a formally damaged Hornby body on a Comet chassis and Crownline tender. The second A3 is 60102 Sir Fredrick Banbury, a DJH kit built buy Derek Shore.

Photo curtesy of Derek Shore.

post-26757-0-27037500-1525013296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 15

I don't really have an opinion, Graeme (in this case, at least). As I mentioned, I was in blissful ignorance of the too-tall tender fact before Andrew pointed it out. 

It would seem it is an issue, if the following pictures are anything to go by..............

post-18225-0-97989900-1525012839_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-69509000-1525012859_thumb.jpg

I don't know if any of these Gratham A1s/A3s below are yours, but the tenders do appear to ride a bit high, though by differing amounts. 

post-18225-0-00343900-1525012931_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-74530100-1525012971_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-18318200-1525012993_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-95717700-1525013015_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-93206100-1525013034.jpg

The too-high tender problem is not confined to just Hornby's A1s and A3s............

post-18225-0-82966000-1525013100_thumb.jpg

Bachmann's Peppercorn Pacifics suffer too.

post-18225-0-82345800-1525013139_thumb.jpg

Though not, it would seem, Hornby's A4s. 

If I needed convincing any more (not that I need to) that my 'chosen path' of making my own A3s (and 99% of Bytham's other locos) is right for me, this sort of thing confirms it. I'm not deriding RTR locos by this observation, but if my tenders don't ride at the right height, I only have myself to blame. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

...and it has the important (but often missed) tie rods between the axleboxes.  Nice job!!

As someone who has built a chassis for a horse drawn 4 wheel tram I fully understand the function of that tie bar.   It's main function, is I believe to stop the two axleboxes either being pushed apart or pulled together by the brakes when they are applied, depending on whether the brake shoes are on the inside or the outside. 

Jamie