Wow very tasty Sandy, looking forward to getting it from the build shop and taking out onto the rails.

A fantastic job done.

Thanks

Best

EDIT    Did the redo of the chip set up clear the jerkiness at slow speeds Sandy?

I've emailed you ref collecting the finished model.

Edited by Barnaby

Hi Sandy,

I've  watched your build of the JLTRT Class 20 with interest as I've finally got around to building my Tower Collection kit purchased many years ago. My brother PAD - you know him, the drawing/lining instrument "enthusiast" started the thread on this site in 2014 so I thought I better continue it to conclusion to preserve his "street cred" on this site! It has been very useful to watch your progress with the construction of the same prototype but with resin rather than pewter castings. I bet it was easier to move around the workbench too! The end product has turned out very nice, and sound will really bring it to life. As my layout runs on DC I don't intend to go DCC/Sound at present but it's under consideration for a future small layout and my Class 20 (assuming it runs) will be one of the contenders for conversion.

I also liked the look of the Walsworth Y1 Sentinel that you built. These little locos are a particular favourite of mine. The first O Gauge loco that I built was a Highfield Models vacuum mouldings model of a YI - with a lot of extra detail (and weight) added. The chassis is powered by a Mashima motor with drive shafts at both ends and it will pull! I thought about buying the Walsworth kit as well but with the imminent release of the Dapol version, I may buy one of those instead. My justification for that is that I realty fancy building a Clayton Class 17 from JLTRT. I am not really a diesel fanatic (I have six others - two built by PAD) but this loco hits a spot, and as I'm a slow builder (its only taken me 12 years to start this one!) I can enjoy watching the Dapol version running whilst building the Clayton!

mICK

• Like 2

Hi Sandy,

I've  watched your build of the JLTRT Class 20 with interest as I've finally got around to building my Tower Collection kit purchased many years ago. My brother PAD - you know him, the drawing/lining instrument "enthusiast" started the thread on this site in 2014 so I thought I better continue it to conclusion to preserve his "street cred" on this site! It has been very useful to watch your progress with the construction of the same prototype but with resin rather than pewter castings. I bet it was easier to move around the workbench too! The end product has turned out very nice, and sound will really bring it to life. As my layout runs on DC I don't intend to go DCC/Sound at present but it's under consideration for a future small layout and my Class 20 (assuming it runs) will be one of the contenders for conversion.

I also liked the look of the Walsworth Y1 Sentinel that you built. These little locos are a particular favourite of mine. The first O Gauge loco that I built was a Highfield Models vacuum mouldings model of a YI - with a lot of extra detail (and weight) added. The chassis is powered by a Mashima motor with drive shafts at both ends and it will pull! I thought about buying the Walsworth kit as well but with the imminent release of the Dapol version, I may buy one of those instead. My justification for that is that I realty fancy building a Clayton Class 17 from JLTRT. I am not really a diesel fanatic (I have six others - two built by PAD) but this loco hits a spot, and as I'm a slow builder (its only taken me 12 years to start this one!) I can enjoy watching the Dapol version running whilst building the Clayton!

mICK

Sounds like a reasonable plan Mick. I am not a modern era fan either but I always liked the class 20's which is why I agreed to  build one as a distraction from my usual fare. Back now to a Stanier 2-6-2, with no instructions!! Good to get the soldering iron out!

Regards

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

Having got the BR Class 20 diesel build out of my system, I have returned to my more usual stomping ground.
This Stanier Class 3 was acquired without any instructions and I agreed to write them as I built it.
It did have one or two issues with it but nothing insurmountable and with a couple of minor modifications to the master etching tool it could be issued as a kit.

It's still not quite finished as I have the wheel balance weights to fit and to sort out the cab roof which won't sit down squarely!!

post-7733-0-15569700-1519924782_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-30679700-1519924797_thumb.jpg

Regards

Sandy

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

That looks excellent Sandy.

Picking up on a couple of the comments I have seen. You mentioned the cab floor fouling the wheels. From my research and as it my drawings there were small splashers in the cab. The other thing from the photos on here and Western Thunder are that the rivet detail on the fireman's side of the bunker needs (if it can be done an additional set of rivets diagonally up the bunker side as here https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/14943955083/ and here https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/23195748640/ (this is a detail all the 3P's I have seen are missing)

Also is the strengthening strip on the bunker rear an add on, as these appear to have appeared in the 40s from photographic evidence and not on all engines.

Best wishes

Duncan

Fabo-tastic Sandy that looks very smart and overflowing with detail.

To follow on from Paul M's question and as you wrote up the build instructions that must be for future builds, whose kit is it?. 

Looking forward to it having it's paintwork added.

Best

That looks excellent Sandy.

Picking up on a couple of the comments I have seen. You mentioned the cab floor fouling the wheels. From my research and as it my drawings there were small splashers in the cab. The other thing from the photos on here and Western Thunder are that the rivet detail on the fireman's side of the bunker needs (if it can be done an additional set of rivets diagonally up the bunker side as here https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/14943955083/ and here https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/23195748640/ (this is a detail all the 3P's I have seen are missing)

Also is the strengthening strip on the bunker rear an add on, as these appear to have appeared in the 40s from photographic evidence and not on all engines.

Best wishes

Duncan

Hi Duncan, the cab is one area where a significant re-design would be beneficial! The riveted strengthening strip on the bunker rear is a half etch that sits in a haf etch recess so it would appear that the model is intended to represent the engine in later life and not in original condition. If it is thought viable as a commercial product it may  eventually be available through Walsworth Models but some additional costs have yet to be incurred in the re-working of the cab area  and a couple of faults that I have found.

Regards

Sandy

• Like 2

Hi Duncan, the cab is one area where a significant re-design would be beneficial! The riveted strengthening strip on the bunker rear is a half etch that sits in a haf etch recess so it would appear that the model is intended to represent the engine in later life and not in original condition. If it is thought viable as a commercial product it may  eventually be available through Walsworth Models but some additional costs have yet to be incurred in the re-working of the cab area  and a couple of faults that I have found.

Regards

Sandy

Hi Sandy, lovely loco and build.

For me the other area that stands out for a re-work in any final kit though is the chimney casting. Compared to prototype photos, including those linked above, it is far too skinny and as a result the model loses a little of the real character of the loco.

Regards

Terry

Hi Sandy, lovely loco and build.

For me the other area that stands out for a re-work in any final kit though is the chimney casting. Compared to prototype photos, including those linked above, it is far too skinny and as a result the model loses a little of the real character of the loco.

Regards

Terry

I tend to agree.  Even for the 'narrow' chimney it does look a little "skinny".  Of course several locos e.g. 40072 were fitted with a larger diameter chimney in conjunction with the 'vortex' blastpipe. I presume this was an effort to improve the indifferent performance of these locos.  An ex fireman friend (from 26A) refers to the class as "breadvans".

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

I tend to agree.  Even for the 'narrow' chimney it does look a little "skinny".  Of course several locos e.g. 40072 were fitted with a larger diameter chimney in conjunction with the 'vortex' blastpipe. I presume this was an effort to improve the indifferent performance of these locos.  An ex fireman friend (from 26A) refers to the class as "breadvans".

Ray.

As I understand that's all they were reputed to have the strength to pull

Did the 82xxx also have small cab splashers?

From looking at 85's cab the other weekend as the wheelbase is shorter there are no splashers in the cab.

Edited by Blandford1969

Ray.

He was mistaken. I worked at 26F, a sub shed of Newton Heath and it was the Fowler Class 3 2-6-2T's that were referred to by enginemen as breadvans. They had left the shed three years before I started there. The men explained it was due to the heat in the Fowler design windowless cab. I doubt Newton Heath men were familiar with the Stanier 2-6-2T as they tended to work on the south side of the city out of Manchester Central (MR/GCR). 

Edited by coachmann

• 2 weeks later...

The Class 3 is languishing in the paint shop at the mo so rather than let the soldering iron get cold I had a go at this Sentinel Y3. The Y3 is the bigger brother to the Y1 I built a few weeks ago and from the same Walsworth Models stable. It comes as a 'Complete kit' only needing paint, solder and transfers to complete for a tad over £100. Good value for a kit that goes together over a long weekend I thought!

Now for a good wash and brush up and join the queue in the paint shop!

post-7733-0-08245000-1521020854_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-72504500-1521020883_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-24504700-1521020908_thumb.jpg

Sandy

• Like 7

...... and all built while the soldering iron was cooling down - - nearly.

Great work as usual Sandy, looking forward to its new paint work.

Never known much about them so a little bit of research on-line is called for today just incase.

Best

Edited by Barnaby

Nice one Sandy.

As I've mentioned previously on your post, this was the first loco I built when moved up to "O" Gauge in the 1990's. I've often thought about buying one of these kits and it is nice to see one built up.

My kit was a vacuum moulded re-release of a kit by Highfield Models re-released by my local model shop. It was originally designed to fit under a Lima motor bogie (well we all have to start somewhere!). I hope you don't mind me posting a picture of it below.

post-26770-0-65860000-1521057888_thumb.jpg

When I look at yours it reminds me that the height from the footplate upwards on mine is too low and has a squashed look - rather like the so called "mini" produced by you know who! Nevertheless it was carefully weighted and runs very smoothly. I've  ordered a ready to run one from Tower Models, the idea was to order a Clayton from JLTRT to make up instead - but that has hit the buffers!

Instead I've consoled myself with a Mercian Hudswell Clarke - D2510 - 2519. This is another long-time favourite of mine. I've written the date of purchase on the box so I don't let it go too long (as in the case of my Tower Class 20) before building it.

For anyone interested in Sentinels there were two very good articles in Railway Bylines:

Volume 10 Issue 12 November 2005

Volume 11 Issue 2 January 2006

This is a long time ago but they still do crop up on book sellers stands at exhibitions. Also anyone interested could try the Vintage Carriages Trust at the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. They have a vast collection of railway magazines and have been a very useful source of information to me over the years. I don't think they provide a mail order service though.

Regards

Mick

• Like 2

47181 resplendent in her early BR livery and fitted with a Loksound V.4 and twin speakers. Now in need of some dusty grime and glazing.

attachicon.gifDSCN3841.JPG

Sandy

So, not being at all familiar with these beasts, what type of sounds come out of it?  I'm assuming that there's a multi-cylinder engine in there which is geared down, so it'll sound a bit like a shay/climax while running?  Lots of chuffs but not much distance traveled...

• Like 1