So, not being at all familiar with these beasts, what type of sounds come out of it?  I'm assuming that there's a multi-cylinder engine in there which is geared down, so it'll sound a bit like a shay/climax while running?  Lots of chuffs but not much distance traveled...

Yup! Sounds about right.

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

What's the photo all about? You may well ask??

It all started with an innocent enough question from a fellow modeller "How do you fancy finishing a Ballast Wagon kit, already part built. All the bits are here but it needs wheels?"

After the Stanier Class 3 there was a small gap in my building schedule so I agreed to the request. Why, oh why, oh why?

When I got it home, and had a look in the box, I discovered there was another complete fret there, but missing the sides and castings. Ok, no probs, NMRS do a similar kit and Grahame is bound to have the castings needed. Indeed he did and, after a quick phone call and the exchange of cash, they arrived the next morning. Great service.

Scratchbuilding the sides was straight forward using some .10thou N/S.

Then I get a phone call from my friend " I have found another one, complete with castings"

And then there were three!!

post-7733-0-84605300-1522855145_thumb.jpg

Sandy

• Like 7

Looking good Sandy, but check the height of your chimney. The top of the chimney should be in line with the top of the cab roof, or to put it another way:- 

If the smokebox dart is 58.8mm above rail level, the chimney top should be 87.5mm above rail level.

Looking good Sandy, but check the height of your chimney. The top of the chimney should be in line with the top of the cab roof, or to put it another way:- 

If the smokebox dart is 58.8mm above rail level, the chimney top should be 87.5mm above rail level.

It'd dead level! Must be the crappy cheap camera producing strange effects.

Sandy

• 1 month later...

Who's kit is the the bogie hoppers. I would like a couple at some stage so looking for the best value ones.

Love the HR wagons look really good.

Thanks Peter,

The hoppers were a College Models kit. No longer available but Northampton Model Railway Supplies http://www.nmrs-models.co.uk/ do a kit.

Regards

Sandy

PS next on the bench is a LSWR B4  from Zero Zephyr that had been abandoned by its previous owner.

Sandy you do like a challenge don't you, from part built kits, kits with parts missing, un-touched kits through to plastic locos all in steam or diesel.  Then there is painting and lining too.

Keep up the great work I say.

Best

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This will appeal to Southern fans. Well outside my comfort Zone but a request for a copy of the original instructions was fruitful and I was able to start work on it.

It arrived in a box of part built assemblies, reasonably put together, and then had mysteriously been disassembled again for some reason. Quite a few bits were missing so some scratch building was needed. Included in the box was a DVD with a couple of dozen photographs taken in the shed at the Bluebell so that was a great help.

The main superstructure was complete and square so it was a matter of working out what was missing, scratch building it from N/S sheet, and adding detail items from my scrap box.

post-7733-0-87791500-1526978201_thumb.jpg

The chassis is next but it only had three wheels. Argh!

post-7733-0-12820300-1526978222_thumb.jpg

Regards

Sandy

• Like 8

Sandy you do like a challenge don't you, from part built kits, kits with parts missing, un-touched kits through to plastic locos all in steam or diesel.  Then there is painting and lining too.

Keep up the great work I say.

Best

....and he's at it again!!

Looks like a nice little project, Sandy.

Regards, Deano.

Busy day in the paint shop yesterday.

A coat of varnish on the 2-6-2T

post-7733-0-39730800-1527244042_thumb.jpg

A coat of red oxide on the HR Goods Brake that will be darkened down to represent HR brown.

post-7733-0-92982300-1527244252_thumb.jpg

and a coat of Satin Black on the B4

post-7733-0-93002100-1527244332_thumb.jpg

Sandy

• Like 9

Guest Isambarduk

"A coat of red oxide on the HR Goods Brake ..."

At first sight, I wondered if you built this from the erstwhile range of Highfield Models vacuum formed 'kits' (just the sides and ends, usually) but I can see that it looks far superior!  As an early foray into 0 gauge finescale from 0 gauge coursescale, over forty years ago, I built one and made up the missing bits (ie most of them) from Three Aitch, Hornby tinplate and from scratch.

HR20TBrake-s.jpg

David

Sandy.

I am trying to fight my way through the Bradley book containing details of the B4. It seems they where all built with a closed cab. But the ones with names for Southampton docs had there cabs cut away for better visibility circa 1893. From 1899 they had the front sheet replaced but some only on drivers side. 86 and 176 did not get the front sheet sorted until 1926/7 there was a variety of extra windows either side of the central ones small and large square and possibly round.

The back sheets where not done until mid thirties. 86 was the last in 1948. So not a lot to do with wartime blackout.

It looks like you could have 86 and possibly 176, but they would need to be named Havre and Guernsey respectively no numbers visible.  The numbers were etch onto the motion. It looks like both of these and their named sister engines for the docks had the vacuum brakes removed.

The only way to have Southern and a number is to have a full cab. It seems that the ones that had the names and plated in cabs retained their names until BR took them over.

Sorry I can't be any more help. Maybe someone else knows more than me. If you want Southern and a number it will have to be under rule one.

Edited by N15class

Sandy

I did forget to say it could also possible be lined in green. Think you are ok with chimney. The stove pipes did get changed to Drummond types. I forgot to look that one up.

The loco looks good must do one for myself one day.

• RMweb Premium

Peter has covered most of the general variations, mainly between the locos that went to Southampton Docks, and those that didn't.   As I understand it, the Dock style cutaway cab (as per your model) had the cabs sheeted in as a response to complaints from the crews about lack of protection.  The sheeting was home-made and (I think) removable, which would explain the variations. 

This was further complicated by later engines being transferred to the docks and NOT having the cabs converted.  An even further complication was five more locos built by Drummond  with his own style cab.  These were numbers 83, 83, 84, 101 and 147. (some were given "spare" numbers, from older withdrawn engines).  Two of these, 101 and 147 went to the docks but were not converted.

All this is academic, as what you have there is a docks engine, with a docks cab.  Names and numbering sequence are all listed on the Southern online website here:  http://www.semgonline.com/steam/b4class.html   The namers were docks engines, and all had the cutout cab EXCEPT 89 Trouville and 90 Caen, and the two Drummond locos 101 Dinan and 147 Dinard.

When I built a B4 a few years ago I wasn't building a docks engine, but I still found infinite variations.  This book is very useful:  "The B4 Dock Tanks" by Peter Cooper, (Kingfisher Railway Publications, ISBN 0 946184 38 0) 

There is one listed on Amazon here:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/B4-Dock-Tanks-Peter-Cooper/dp/0946184380/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527360433&sr=8-1&keywords=the+b4+dock+tanks  but I wouldnt recomend paying £118.06 for it!

Hope this helps!

All the best, Dave.

Peter has covered most of the general variations, mainly between the locos that went to Southampton Docks, and those that didn't.   As I understand it, the Dock style cutaway cab (as per your model) had the cabs sheeted in as a response to complaints from the crews about lack of protection.  The sheeting was home-made and (I think) removable, which would explain the variations. 

This was further complicated by later engines being transferred to the docks and NOT having the cabs converted.  An even further complication was five more locos built by Drummond  with his own style cab.  These were numbers 83, 83, 84, 101 and 147. (some were given "spare" numbers, from older withdrawn engines).  Two of these, 101 and 147 went to the docks but were not converted.

All this is academic, as what you have there is a docks engine, with a docks cab.  Names and numbering sequence are all listed on the Southern online website here:  http://www.semgonline.com/steam/b4class.html   The namers were docks engines, and all had the cutout cab EXCEPT 89 Trouville and 90 Caen, and the two Drummond locos 101 Dinan and 147 Dinard.

When I built a B4 a few years ago I wasn't building a docks engine, but I still found infinite variations.  This book is very useful:  "The B4 Dock Tanks" by Peter Cooper, (Kingfisher Railway Publications, ISBN 0 946184 38 0) 

There is one listed on Amazon here:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/B4-Dock-Tanks-Peter-Cooper/dp/0946184380/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527360433&sr=8-1&keywords=the+b4+dock+tanks  but I wouldnt recomend paying £118.06 for it!

Hope this helps!

All the best, Dave.

Dave

As I understand it the company fitted panels in the cab fronts, as you say they are nearly all different. The crew fitted wooden panels and canvas sheets in  the sides until the company decided proper plating was needed, If you can say there plating was proper. To illustrate the plating the same thing was done to the front.This is a large window plating.

post-13601-0-89595800-1527366004.jpg

Yes they did complicate things by not modifying some of the transfers. But at the end of the day it's a case that if it has or had cut down cab they carried a name.