• 2 weeks later...

Locomotive ready for the paint shop, actually, the grit blaster first! Quite a bit of the detail you see was not included in the 'kit'  so either it  has to be sourced or harvested from your spares box, or scratch built. 

post-7733-0-59067400-1507732676_thumb.jpg

And so, on to the tender. Again from the ACE stable and it is the GN 8 wheeled version.

First thing of note is that the chassis is in thin brass. Not ideal. Second thing is that the axle bearing holes in the chassis are oversize for the top hat brass bearings supplied. No surprises there. The 'brief' instructions make reference to some form of compensation and special bearings for the front axle. No such etchings, are  supplied for the compensation, nor are there 'special' bearings supplied!! Come on, you should not be surprised by now! I cobbled up my own version from a couple of lengths of tube and some wire. Fortunately my spares box has a collection of top hat brass bearings and I managed to find enough that were over size and fitted. The middle axles will be sprung and the springs can be seen in the photo.

post-7733-0-59781800-1507732695_thumb.jpg

Regards

Sandy

• Like 8

Hi Sandy,

Stop it. You're tempting me to buy one!

It puts me in mind of the Monty Python song "Eric the half a bee". Does it say kit on the box, or half a kit?

Clearly a fantastic build of a very poor kit. Do you also walk on water?

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Sandy,

Stop it. You're tempting me to buy one!

It puts me in mind of the Monty Python song "Eric the half a bee". Does it say kit on the box, or half a kit?

Clearly a fantastic build of a very poor kit. Do you also walk on water?

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter

A few layers of paint will hide a multitude of sins!!!

Avoid at all costs!

Sandy

• 3 weeks later...

The top of the mountain is insight! A final burst of activity, mostly scratch building, has seen the completion of the GN tender. Very basic instructions and the usual bits missing, tabs not lining up, parts not fitting correctly etc along with a number of parts that are nothing to do with the kit!!

I'm taking her off to my friend with the grit blaster this morning to prepare the surface for painting. Meantime I will paint the chassis and reassemble the motion ready for testing.

post-7733-0-46910800-1509441878_thumb.jpg

Regards

Sandy

• Like 8

Thank you Gents. I'll try not to mess up the painting!!

Regards

Sandy

PS As a bit of light relief I have started on a Sentinel Y1 kit from the Walsworth stable. I built the chassis in about 2 hours this evening. Everything fits. A delight. Photos to follow later.

Walsworth Y1 Sentinel. This is what you get in the box. Everything you need except solder, flux and paint!

post-7733-0-94675500-1510226919_thumb.jpg

Two hours yesterday evening and the chassis was almost complete.

post-7733-0-62090700-1510226929_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-24567500-1510226958_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-58114900-1510226978_thumb.jpg

....and two hours this morning saw the chassis completed with the addition of the brake gear  and  guard irons. The footplate, a fold up one piece etch,  was also completed.

post-7733-0-65593200-1510227007_thumb.jpg

Regards

Sandy

• Like 7

I'm finding your build most interesting Sandy as I've been considering doing one for a while and this has encouraged me to go ahead with the idea.  Just a question - did you change the front axle from the Slater's lowmac one supplied?  In your photos the axle end looks thicker where it appears through the wheel boss.

Cheers,

Ray.

I'm finding your build most interesting Sandy as I've been considering doing one for a while and this has encouraged me to go ahead with the idea.  Just a question - did you change the front axle from the Slater's lowmac one supplied?  In your photos the axle end looks thicker where it appears through the wheel boss.

Cheers,

Ray.

No Ray, I think it must be a trick of the light that makes it look that way. Attempting to use any other size of axle has a knock on effect on the size of the gear wheel etc etc and in such a small prototype it is not needed to try and fit larger items.

Regards

Sandy

One thing about these JLTRT kits is that they go together quite quickly, but you still need to 'fettle' them to get a good fit of the cast parts.

This particular build has taken a bit more thought as the motor supplied was not what the kit was designed for and I needed to make provision, within the inner bogie casting, to accommodate the Slaters motor/gearbox unit as well as squeeze in a Delrin chain drive. It eventually fitted, just, without compromising the integrity of the inner chassis. The photos show where I had to cut a hole in the bogie chassis to accommodate the gear box. The hole in the footplate also need to be extended slightly to allow the gearbox to swing.

post-7733-0-13325900-1511605877_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-62948000-1511605860_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-13795300-1511605751_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-41158400-1511605731_thumb.jpg

Regards

Sandy

• Like 2