Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

Take it No.8 is in a suitable livery for post-war? 

Yes, there is a picture of it in that livery in the late 40s in one of the Railcar books (possibly the Noodle one).

Here is a shot of it in 1948 at Snow Hill, about to depart for Dudley.

railcar8.jpg

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 3

Yes, there is a picture of it in that livery in the late 40s in one of the Railcar books (possibly the Noodle one).

Here is a shot of it in 1948 at Snow Hill, about to depart for Dudley.

railcar8.jpg

Can you expand a bit more on those Railcar books K..? I think we may have a copy of one of the Wild Swan books somewhere in the house, no idea where it is as everything's packed away due to building work! Interested to hear more of the Noodles one... ;) . I have no 'need' for the model but ​really want one!

• Like 1

Sure. My go-to references for the GWR railcars are:

The History of Great Western A.E.C. Diesel Railcars by Colin Judge Published by Noodle Books in 2008 (ISBN 10: 1906419116 ISBN 13: 9781906419110)

and the Wild Swan book by Russel.

• 1 month later...

Just been advised that my order has been processed and being picked for dispatch.

Hopefully in 2 or 3 days my No 8 will arrive.......

Chip, passengers and crew waiting - I will be putting a driver in each end working on the assumption that you only see one end at a time.....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my crimson and cream version at Alton Model Centre this afternoon. It runs beautifully up and down my little module and looks, to my inexpert eye, beautiful. I think Dapol will do well with this and many of us will be trying to buy different versions, finances permitting!

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 2

As my old GWR country terminus station layout is P4, I will have to look into conversion of the wheelsets to scale sizes, I hope the bogie inner sides are not too tight to just change the wheelsets. It all depends on how the bogies are made, plastic outer, metal inner, and if the plastic parts are glue-able if alterations are made. It may be possible to use the Dapol wheels with new rims of stainless steel, turned in the lathe and pressed on to the Dapol centre after their 00 rim is machined off.

If the rear unpowered bogie picks up as well as the powered, then pickups can be dispensed with, by returning the power to the opposite side.

Anybody know if the interior lights work?

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

As my old GWR country terminus station layout is P4, I will have to look into conversion of the wheelsets to scale sizes, I hope the bogie inner sides are not too tight to just change the wheelsets. It all depends on how the bogies are made, plastic outer, metal inner, and if the plastic parts are glue-able if alterations are made. It may be possible to use the Dapol wheels with new rims of stainless steel, turned in the lathe and pressed on to the Dapol centre after their 00 rim is machined off.

If the rear unpowered bogie picks up as well as the powered, then pickups can be dispensed with, by returning the power to the opposite side.

Anybody know if the interior lights work?

Stephen

So, doesn't it have the underfloor centrally mounted motor driving all wheels like the BR Bubble Cars, then?

John

Picked up my crimson and cream version at Alton Model Centre this afternoon. It runs beautifully up and down my little module and looks, to my inexpert eye, beautiful. I think Dapol will do well with this and many of us will be trying to buy different versions, finances permitting!

all the best

Godfrey

I've always had a soft spot for these GWR railcars, but my experience with Dapol's products has been very disheartening.

I loved Misha Black's styling of the Western so, even though I have no interest in modelling BR(WR), I occasionally toy with the idea of getting one - most recently with Hattons current bargain prices. But one look at the photo showed the appalling paint job where the yellow end meets the blue, and that was enough to stop me in my tracks.

I do hope the railcars are not similarly affected; but caution means I've only ordered one, to test the waters, rather than also getting a crimson and cream. Fingers crossed.

I wonder if a successful Dapol product will encourage Hornby to retool the more angular later versions?

Paul

Edited by Fenman

Absolutely. And I take it be Angular you meant Anglia?

Sorry. 

Though yes, the 19-33 series railcars would be very much welcomed as a retool. No doubt Rails/Locomotion etc would do a ltd ed one as Didcot's No.22.

Ah! I now vaguely remember some thick tv "sleb" thought it was "East Angular" but, you are right, that joke went way over my head.

Whoosh.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My uncle had a Ford Angular.  My Dad had a Perfect, the 4 door version.

I'm going to be very tempted by this model, and hope it is overpriced enough to deter me from buying one.  I have seen a photo of a BR c/c liveried one at Tondu on a railtour, and the same livery on the Cowbridge branch, which is getting into Rule 1 territory in my case!  But I really don't need one and as I have never seen any evidence of one in service on any of the Tondu Valleys branches (I imagine the gradients might have been a bit much for them), I must be strong and resist!

I think we all know how this is going to end, don't we, children...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've always had a soft spot for these GWR railcars, but my experience with Dapol's products has been very disheartening.

I loved Misha Black's styling of the Western so, even though I have no interest in modelling BR(WR), I occasionally toy with the idea of getting one - most recently with Hattons current bargain prices. But one look at the photo showed the appalling paint job where the yellow end meets the blue, and that was enough to stop me in my tracks.

I do hope the railcars are not similarly affected; but caution means I've only ordered one, to test the waters, rather than also getting a crimson and cream. Fingers crossed.

I wonder if a successful Dapol product will encourage Hornby to retool the more angular later versions?

Paul

Like you I was very wary of ordering Dapol having heard some scare stories . However I did get their Western in BR blue and I have to say I’m very impressed. I’m hoping to get a DRS 68 when they come back into stock. These Railcars look superb , if you need one, don’t let the fact they come from Dapol put you off. What with their 68(diesel model of the year?) , 122 and now GWR railcar Dapol are really delivering this year. Have they come of age at last? Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

My uncle had a Ford Angular.  My Dad had a Perfect, the 4 door version.

I'm going to be very tempted by this model, and hope it is overpriced enough to deter me from buying one.  I have seen a photo of a BR c/c liveried one at Tondu on a railtour, and the same livery on the Cowbridge branch, which is getting into Rule 1 territory in my case!  But I really don't need one and as I have never seen any evidence of one in service on any of the Tondu Valleys branches (I imagine the gradients might have been a bit much for them), I must be strong and resist!

I think we all know how this is going to end, don't we, children...

W4W was a frequent performer in South Wales in the fifties.Tondu might be pushing it a bit though.Have to say I am smitten....to the extent that I have ordered a No.8 Twin Cities from Rails.A crimson and cream varietal will follow eventually but this is an attractive model which will run well with Hornby's Bristolian.I too believe Dapol are on the rise.