class 507, 508, 313..

• RMweb Premium

sometime I did ask about these, but just wondering if there is any planned kits of these in the pipeline anywhere?

looked at the old MTK one and dont want to go down that route.

Quite a few years ago at DEMU Showcase I suggested to Dapol these would be ideal units to make. Apart from the early 313s with the large vents many body shells would be interchangeable between types of unit, greatly cutting down the cost of the moulds. They guys I talked to done an on the spot costing and said no.

All share the same driving cars. The trailer centre cars are the same. There is a slight difference in the windows at the pantograph end (from memory) between a 313 and 315 in the pantograph car, not too sure if the 314 is like a 313 or a 315. Bogies 313, 507 and 508 need pick up gear on the leading bogie the others do not. The power bogies for all the unit types are the same design. The under gubbins differs between classes. Liveries, all were in BR blue grey from new and have been in a multitude since. They have been in service longer than some pre-nationalisation express locos were, let alone BR standards. Locations London and the South East, Merseyside and lowland Scotland.

I still cannot understand why they have not been produced either in kit form or RTR. Especially as they are quite neat looking trains.

• Like 8

I have wondered for a while about the viability of this family of EMUs as an RTR subject. It does appear to tick all the boxes especially in the light of more recent releases. Could it be one of those items that misses the boat, as it were, as it may be seen as neither old enough to be a heritage type or new enough to have the wow factor for contemporary modellers. In modelling terms, I have no particular interest in these things but the real things have been part of my life for many years. My son, on the other hand, would surely require a frighteningly large number of them! He always figured it was something for Bratchell Models to consider.

RP

• RMweb Premium

There was talk of someone doing a kit for the 313 some time back (years probably) but it has gone very quiet on that front, before that there was the MTK kit about which the less said the better...

As someone who regularly works 19 of them on an almost daily basis I have been thinking about scratchbuilding one possibly using the Bachmann Class 150 for the chassis and the a plasticard body shell. Those cab ends are a right bleeder to work out though.

Step into my office.... :sungum:

post-6910-0-12813800-1353546640_thumb.jpg

The bodyside vents mentioned earlier in this thread are all technically present on the Southern ones (313201 to 217, 219 and 220 - there is no 218, that is still 018 with FCC) but have been randomly plated over on some of them. Also the 313's have a unique centre car, unlike the rest of the PEP derived family where the centre car windows are equally spaced, the ones at the pantograph well end are narrower and shoved towards the end of the car leaving a blank panel adjacent to the nearest bodyside doorway.

This is the place where the disabled/cycle/scooter/pram/bathtub* storage area is now and also where the Conductor's dispatch panels are, also the Southern ones have had the pantograph removed and presumably dumped in a skip many years ago.

If you would like any detail pictures of a 313, I may be able to share some as I am planning when the opportunity arises to give one a through photograhic going over at some point.

* - Yes, a bathtub. Took a train along the Coastway West once and found two University students on board carrying a full size bathtub with an inflatable crocodile sitting in it!!! :jester:

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2

They used to be a staple of the Electra Railway Graphics website (in N gauge). The 313 was in development for a long time, with other types to follow. I was looking forward to a couple of the Merseyrail units (in tiger stripe and the bleagh yellow schemes) but they dropped off the radar. I'm certain that they got as far as producing a clear resin bodyshell but I just looked and there's nothing at all about it on their site, so I assume that they've dropped it.

Jim

N-train has an N gauge kit in the works. Mind you I think it has been WIP for a while.

http://www.n-train.c...&id=17&Itemid=8

Given the smooth profile of the bodies, I wonder if 3D printing could produce something decent?

looked at the old MTK one and dont want to go down that route.

It wasn't such a bad kit as MTK goes. Here is one I hammered put together. I could probably do a better job now. I never got around to glazing the cab though.

DSCF2042.jpg

DSCF2043.jpg :sarcastichand:

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Alan Cox (Etched Pixels/Ultima Models) has done some white metal ends for a 313 (and 317s) in N: http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogue/comp-ends.html

Now I need to tidy them up and put them together with my MTK etches for an N gauge 313 (found in a bits box at an exhibition). Or at least decide whether the MTK etches are worth saving!

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

Been pottering around on 313's most of the day including the excitement(!) of Hove shuttles... 313219 was my trusty steed for most of the morning:

post-6910-0-05215200-1353606552_thumb.jpg

Took an opportunity between shuttles to take a couple of shots of the centre cars showing the unique Class 313 window arrangement at the (former) pantograph end:

These two shots show the PTOS of 313201. Note that on this one the corner vent grille has been plated over:

post-6910-0-41969200-1353606624_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-04466600-1353606631_thumb.jpg

This shows the PTOS of 313208 which still retains the vent grille unplated showing the randomness of this modification:

post-6910-0-30955000-1353606637_thumb.jpg

If I recall there was a time when the 313's in NSE days had some sort of Tupperware sandwich boxes or simliar over the roof vents, presumably to keep the rain out (or at least try) but I can tell you from personal experience, these are known to be a bit leaky at times...

• Like 3

On reflection, this is actually the same as the ERG kit, isn't it? I think that N-Model was developing the bodies, which would be skinned with ERG vinyls.

Hmm, could be. I am actually quite taken with the idea of combining the ERG body and Vinyls with Etched Pixels cast ends. Vinyls are fine for the sides which are nice and smooth, but they don't like quite right to me on the cabs where I feel some releif would really improve the look.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw a pair of 315s heading down from Chelmsford yesterday, so it looks like they are getting further afield in to the countryside giving more modellers a need to have some. (anyone know where they were going? Presumably Colchester, but Witham or Braintree could be a possibility. Its the first time I have seen them get beyond Shenfield on the main line).

If I recall there was a time when the 313's in NSE days had some sort of Tupperware sandwich boxes or simliar over the roof vents, presumably to keep the rain out (or at least try) but I can tell you from personal experience, these are known to be a bit leaky at times...

They were like this from new and just the first few units; not sure if they are still like that.

XF

Amsie's models was working on a kit for the 313 etc, but as far as I'm aware, that is no more. Charlie at DC kits was looking at the possibility of doing a 507/508 a year or two ago, but I don't know what became of that, possibly on the back burner now. I'd like someone to bring one out, as I've got a 455 here that I'd like to build as a 455/7.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Spotted yesterday at the Crawley Club Show in Horsham...

AyJay models are set to produce a 4mm 508 kit sometime soon in cast resin.

What caught my eye and prompted some discussions was that the box sitting on the display shelf stated that the contents was 2 body shells etc, etc. When questioned, the stand holder said that in reality the kit will be available in both 3 and 4 car versions, and that the box label had simply not been updated yet (probably one of their existing 2HAL boxes with a 508 picture added temporarily).

The castings were not actually present for inspection on this occasion.

The spare coaches from the 3 car kits are likely to be made available for use with Bratchell parts to make up 455/7 sets - I specifically asked about that option!

• Like 2

Spotted yesterday at the Crawley Club Show in Horsham...

AyJay models are set to produce a 4mm 508 kit sometime soon in cast resin.

What caught my eye and prompted some discussions was that the box sitting on the display shelf stated that the contents was 2 body shells etc, etc. When questioned, the stand holder said that in reality the kit will be available in both 3 and 4 car versions, and that the box label had simply not been updated yet (probably one of their existing 2HAL boxes with a 508 picture added temporarily).

The castings were not actually present for inspection on this occasion.

The spare coaches from the 3 car kits are likely to be made available for use with Bratchell parts to make up 455/7 sets - I specifically asked about that option!

Some more information here - http://www.southernregionmodels.co.uk/2013/04/next-4mm-kit-planned-is-the-class-508-and-the-507-313-etc-these-kits-will-be-to-our-same-high-standard-as-our-4mm-range-designed-to-take-the-spud-motor-bogies-one-piece-body-shells-interio/

Price is to be around £130-140 for the kit

Andy 8)

• Like 3

• 1 year later...