The Last Weekend

'CHARD

Hi Matt,

Many thanks for your prompt reply, which nicely fills a few gaps.

Other than D6851 on the 08.30 Kingmoor-Millerhill and D43 working 3M45 09.55 Bathgate-Kings Norton on the Saturday morning, are there any other known freight workings which traversed the Waverley Line during the final Saturday and Sunday?

Regards

Mark

There are, including D6903 on 4M46 then 4S41, D6846 on 4S40, D6857 on 4M49 then 4S43 .... The full list will be in the book "Border Diesels", that has up to now taken in excess of five years to write and may yet take another five at this rate!

It was apparent how Control at last, by the final season, had access to appropriate, adequate traction, dialling EE Type 3 into the proceedings on the Class 4s.  Great to see D6903 was active on the last weekend.

I wonder when the only blue 37 to ply the route, D6845, last worked?  As we know, she had been teasingly put out previously on the Teri dawn commute in blue, after working in the 04xx Millerhill sundries.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From Special Traffic Notice Sc1  Sat 4 Jan to Fri 17 January 1969.

I always wondered what had happened to the north-bound passengers on the last early morning "Pullman".

Bruce.

post-5524-0-24210300-1460665280_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

From Special Traffic Notice Sc1  Sat 4 Jan to Fri 17 January 1969.

I always wondered what had happened to the north-bound passengers on the last early morning "Pullman".

Bruce.

attachicon.gif240.jpg

Cold, cruel, ignominious and unnecessary.  How horrible.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got to confess-I was on Scottish Grand Tour no6 which also is remembered for looping the loop around the Northern half of what is now the Tyne and Wear Metro.I remember the bomb scare stop at Miller hill and also the BBC film crew detraining in the middle of Carlisle Marshalling yard!

The train took the Carlisle goods avoiding lines to reach Petterill Bridge Junction so a fair bit of rare trackage.

I travelled up from St Pancras at the beginning of October 1968 on my way home from my first visit to London.The booking clerk at St Pancras must have thought I was daft when I asked for a single to Edinburgh!

• Like 2

I've got to confess-I was on Scottish Grand Tour no6 which also is remembered for looping the loop around the Northern half of what is now the Tyne and Wear Metro.I remember the bomb scare stop at Miller hill and also the BBC film crew detraining in the middle of Carlisle Marshalling yard!

The train took the Carlisle goods avoiding lines to reach Petterill Bridge Junction so a fair bit of rare trackage.

I travelled up from St Pancras at the beginning of October 1968 on my way home from my first visit to London.The booking clerk at St Pancras must have thought I was daft when I asked for a single to Edinburgh!

Possibly the Border TV film crew? In the Border fil archive there's a shot of Mk1 stock moving away from the camera within the yard. Perhaps they de-bussed here from your train to film that clip. Might be wrong but your comments made me think of that image.

D.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This isn't the last weekend but particularly of what led to it.

A few years back the BBC did a news item on the National news-it may have been about the reopening work.One of those who had put an objection to the closure was a schoolboy called Ralph Coleman and he appeared on the item.

The same Ralph Coleman was for a time my boss at British telecom in Edinburgh in the early 1980s.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some picture reminiscences of the final Railtour over the Waverley Route from my files. Grand Scottish Railtour No.6 on 4 January 1969.(AM)

A very youthful Andrew Boyd at the extreme right of the third shot and I think that's Madge Elliot holding the placard with 'Progress' at the bottom. Perhaps Bruce can identify a few more.

Bill

A very youthful Andrew Boyd at the extreme right of the third shot and I think that's Madge Elliot holding the placard with 'Progress' at the bottom. Perhaps Bruce can identify a few more.

Bill

Definitely Madge and Andrew.  Apart from the BBC reporter (under the "c" of the execution poster) I don't recognise any faces.

Bruce.

Bill

Yes it is Andrew Boyd.  Think he was involved with the SRPS at Boness or when it was at Falkirk.