The Last Weekend

'CHARD

31st December 1968, the 4.12 EDN - HWK makes its scheduled stop at Tynehead.   D5311 is the favoured identity.

Photo reproduced here by kind permission of Graham Johnston via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2761331060559413&set=p.2761331060559413&type=3&theater

42787662_2761331067226079_86046376780984

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 19/02/2016 at 19:49, 27016 said:

My query is regarding D5131 working a service at 18.07 from Hawick to Edinburgh service vice DMU on the final Saturday evening. According to both the May 1968-69 Public Timetable and Working Timetable there was no 18.07 from Hawick to Edinburgh on a winter Saturday. The only likely explanation I can think of is that 1S65 09.55 St. Pancras to Edinburgh (booked to depart Hawick at 18.07) was running late and therefore the resources off the 16.12 from Edinburgh to Hawick (D5131 and coaches) were used to form an additional service back from Hawick to Edinburgh in lieu of the late running 1S65?

The last booked northbound DMU service from Hawick on a winter Saturday shown in both the May1968-69 WTT and Public Timetables was the 17.04 Hawick to Edinburgh.

Regards

Mark

Sorry it has taken four years to clarify why 5131 worked the 18:07 Hawick to Edinburgh on 4/1/69 but the explanation only came to me recently when I was redoing my spreadsheet of workings through Hawick over the final weekend (the original got lost when my hard drive packed up a couple of years ago).

The first thing to say is that the WR winter timetable for 1968/69 (effective from 30 September) was amended before what is shown in the 6 May 1968 public TT came into force - I don't have a copy of the public amendment but Andrew Boyd does. 1S68 St Pancras - Glasgow was retimed by about an hour earlier requiring 1S65 to be retimed by a similar amount, departing Carlisle at 15:58 rather than 17:00. The dmu worked Hawick to Edinburgh local service shown in the public TT as departing at 18:04 during summer 1968 therefore continued to run with just a slight tweaking of departure time to 18:07.

Regarding 5131 on 4th January, on a normal Saturday the loco off the 16:12 from Edinburgh would have returned light engine to Edinburgh, leaving the coaches at Hawick to form the Monday morning 06:58 Down service (worked by the loco off the 03:15 Millerhill to Hawick class 6 freight). With there being no service to run on the Monday, the loco and coaches were utilised to form the 18:07, leaving the dmu which had arrived in Hawick earlier that afternoon as the 12:55 from Edinburgh to form the 08:30 SuO to the capital.

That begs the question as to how the dmu for that Sunday morning train usually reached Hawick - I think the explanation is that although the 18:13 Carlisle - Hawick only ran SX, there appears to have been a Saturday evening ecs working from Carlisle (on Saturday 28/12/68 it arrived in Hawick at 21:30) which would have done the normal two Sunday return trips to Edinburgh before working the  06:41 to Carlisle on the Monday morning. With no service to run on Monday 6th January there was no point in sending a unit up from Carlisle on the Saturday evening.

One last point, on weekdays the loco which had worked the 16:12 Edinburgh - Hawick returned north with the 19:40 SX class 6 freight to Millerhill (usually much earlier than booked), again leaving the stock at Hawick to form the next day's 06:58 to Edinburgh.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

About the ECS DMU working on a Saturday, I believe it originated from Appleby.  

Bill's studies shows that it worked into Waverley on the Sunday which answers the question: could you travel the length of the Waverley Route on the same DMU?  

If you travelled from Waverley on the Sunday using this DMU to Hawick, spent the night in Hawick, and then caught the DMU from Hawick to Carlisle on the Monday morning, this would do the trick!

Or ... https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/55/921/  (I think that ran because of some dispute).

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 30/03/2020 at 15:06, 62440 said:

About the ECS DMU working on a Saturday, I believe it originated from Appleby.  

Bruce

The 1968-69 LMR public TT shows an 18:10 Carlisle to Appleby stopping train (arr. 19:08) and I think it most likely that the dmu involved would work back empty to Carlisle (rather than stabling over the Sunday at Appleby to form the 07:30 Down service on the Monday) - on the assumption that the dmu set off back north quite quickly that would be consistent with a 21:30 arrival at Hawick.

Bill

• 3 years later...

No idea how I had missed the latter posts from 2020, but I've now read and absorbed them. This is fascinating in many ways, and in terms of the types of Upperby-allocated DMU that worked into Edinburgh. Notably Derby lightweight units, as 12B didn't have any units in common with Leith Central (Gloucester,  Metro-Cammell and occasional Crivvens).

• Like 1