Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

What's a beast blundering ?

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

Others have modelling workbenches but I intend to do something slighty different, although with modelling from time to time, I intend to explore the signalling and operational side of the (UK) prototype railway, looking at specific signals and explaining their purpose, looking at track plans and how they might have developed over the years, giving ideas for modelling hopefully, or at least ideas on how to look at a chosen station and "age" it, fitting it in your space is your problem though, I won't be doing planning as such.

I will also mention my software utilities and generally anything else that might be of interest.

If you have something vaguley connected to any of my musing, that I might be able to assist with, then by all means get in touch by PM and we can get a thread going to discuss it if you so wish.

Andy has allowed us to try out the "club scene" and we are grateful for this opportunity so feedback is also useful - but constructive please (doesn't have to be good though, I don't crave praise, just reasoned discussion).

Please, please, please feel free to interact, I am doing this to try and inspire YOU ! - I could do all this on paper or in my head if it was for my benefit.

To blundering .. let see where this journey takes us ...

• RMweb Gold

This is almost certain to lead somewhere good. A great number of modellers are imperfect in their knowledge of signalling matters - and don't properly sited/sighted signals make a difference on a layout? I ought to know more than some, having been passed out in a box once a long time ago (Sandwich box - there has to be a joke there somewhere) but am certain that the years have robbed me of most of what I knew then.

Best of luck beast - this is very worthwhile for those who bother.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Ian.

I would like to try and show a specific signal and keep the discussion to it, the aim being to provide building blocks (groan) of signals which may help people with their own - we have tried this previously but it wandered off topic (which is fine!) and it ended up with a jumble of information, keeping things related to the signal in the shot, should, I hope, make things easier to understand - time will be a telling and I'm open to suggestions from anyone - PM though please

Time for a starter (don't worry the signalling puns will switch out eventually) :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Now where did you get that term 'building blocks' from :P

Looks like it could be a good idea Dave and I await your ideas on and info about the software, in particular, with great interest.

cheers,

PS would you like to borrow my draft book - only about 85,000 words

About time you made that "production" I reckon ...

Regarding software, I am always open to writing **simple** utilities for people (time permitting) so if anyone has any simple needs again drop me a pm and I will try to help ...

A great number of modellers are imperfect in their knowledge of signalling matters - and don't properly sited/sighted signals make a difference on a layout?

Best of luck beast - this is very worthwhile for those who bother.

Yep, that's one of the reasons why I have all the Peter Kay reprints, as well as having been part of the S&T team at Swanage Railway (1988-98)biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a simple guide to signalling terminology might not be out of place, for a starter. Like what is a "home repeater" (apart from a tin of baked beans)?

Dennis

Terminology isn't too difficult, perhaps Beast could incorporate (or I could use some of my drafts and old training notes (mostly buried in my noddle, it's long time since I was last training Signalmen).

• RMweb Gold

How about ...

I will start a simple terminology thread - and link to photos where I can - any corrections / suggestions can be added to the thread and then I will delete these postings once the main post has been updated ? - should leave a single post with enough detail to start people off ?

• RMweb Gold

How about ...

I will start a simple terminology thread - and link to photos where I can - any corrections / suggestions can be added to the thread and then I will delete these postings once the main post has been updated ? - should leave a single post with enough detail to start people off ?

As an alternative Dave could you do a list and gradually fill it in? The way terms can be put in and any omissions filled in as you/replies go - or would it be too cumbersome that way?

• RMweb Gold

As an alternative Dave could you do a list and gradually fill it in? The way terms can be put in and any omissions filled in as you/replies go - or would it be too cumbersome that way?

I will start with a few terms and see what people think about it ! - before I/We go too far ..

• RMweb Gold

I will start with a few terms and see what people think about it ! - before I/We go too far ..

Happy New Year Dave

Save only RR&Co your blunderings are fast becoming my favourite topic......took me a while to find it through all the layersrolleyes.gif

Kind Regards from a very wet Vancouver

ps I 've almost finished my Signal Plan.....I will PM you when its completed

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year Dave

Save only RR&Co your blunderings are fast becoming my favourite topic......took me a while to find it through all the layersrolleyes.gif

Kind Regards from a very wet Vancouver

ps I 've almost finished my Signal Plan.....I will PM you when its completed

Happy New Year to you to John - I'm going to do a bit more about interlocking with RR&Co but skipping the basics .. (then if anyone wants to know they can ask !)

Happy to help with signalling :)

• AY Mod unpinned this topic

Archived