Kernow Model Rail Centre launch weathered Western samples

Andy Y

Yes.... very nice. Agree that some further colour variation might be worth applying but that's surely the perogative of the owner/modeller. for factory weathering I think that looks superb. Congrats to Kernow, Mercig and of course Dapol.

....too much grey....more rust shades required around bogies, skirts etc for authenticity.....otherwise excellent.

Dave

I hear what you say Dave, but having studied the 1976 weathering and recreated it for many locos - 1068 included - the weathering reminiscent of the last summer particularly was predominantly and unusually grey and dusty.

Can't wait for these to be on general release. Congratulations and thanks to all parties.

Aft'noon Chard,

It may be the case that the last days of the Westerns produced a more grey weathering but I'm hoping that the weathered maroon, green and earlier blue shades are also treated to weathering sympathetic to their period.

Likewise I think that this is easily the best 4mm RTR Western produced so far and I will be looking for 2 or 3 for Torr Giffard.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I hear what you say Dave, but having studied the 1976 weathering and recreated it for many locos - 1068 included - the weathering reminiscent of the last summer particularly was predominantly and unusually grey and dusty.

The Summer of 1976 was unusually dry and hot. I spent the early part of it in a new air-conditioned panel box - deeply grateful, too!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to pour cold water onto this Chris but you have the wrong size Inter City arrows affixed to D1030 in this livery, as all can see who refer to my books such as Looking back at Westerns pages 26 and 60, Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered II page 89.

Other than that sure they look very nice.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

....too much grey....more rust shades required around bogies, skirts etc for authenticity.....otherwise excellent.

Dave

I would agree that in a perfect world it probably should have more rust colour than grey around the underframe and bogies as in the photo of D1068 that Kernow has used on its website, but I certainly won't be cancelling my pre-order.

• RMweb Premium

If the biggest bone of contention is the exact colour of the dirt then we really must have the "definitive Western" about to arrive!

Dirt colour varied by date and location. Certainly some of it was rusty brown but taking a look at the close-up views of the wheels suggests the Kernow version isn't all black / grey. Those who saw the samples at Warley might be able to confirm how the actual thing looks but the photos might slightly misrepresent the colour if taken under harsh lighting or with flash.

I would agree that in a perfect world it probably should have more rust colour than grey around the underframe and bogies as in the photo of D1068 that Kernow has used on its website, but I certainly won't be cancelling my pre-order.

As a few people have commented the under frame to a Western is extremely variable and there is no 'correct' colour that can be used across time frames As part of doing this sample I spent many many hours and looked at hundreds of photos of what would make the most atypical colour variation for a mid 1970's Western. Added to this I also had to come up with something that would stand a chance of being easily replicated by the Chinese factory. This photo is typical of the ones I used as a basis for the weathering:

http://www.flickr.co...N07/7204566064/

If people want to add rust etc then that is up to the end user but is an unrealistic proposition to expect a factory to produce the type of subtle effects that would be required to make that look realistic.

M

As a few people have commented the under frame to a Western is extremely variable and there is no 'correct' colour that can be used across time frames As part of doing this sample I spent many many hours and looked at hundreds of photos of what would make the most atypical colour variation for a mid 1970's Western. Added to this I also had to come up with something that would stand a chance of being easily replicated by the Chinese factory. This photo is typical of the ones I used as a basis for the weathering:

http://www.flickr.co...N07/7204566064/

If people want to add rust etc then that is up to the end user but is an unrealistic proposition to expect a factory to produce the type of subtle effects that would be required to make that look realistic.

M

That's all a very fair comment. It's achieved a nice look and in retrospect it does reflect an overall grubby/worked appearance hiding all the brake dust and rust in a lovely freshly applied layer of grime. So yes, it suits well. Individuality can of course still be included by "the individual". Nice work!

Sorry to pour cold water onto this Chris but you have the wrong size Inter City arrows affixed to D1030 in this livery, as all can see who refer to my books such as Looking back at Westerns pages 26 and 60, Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered II page 89.

It also looks as though the model has the Talisman clips on the battery boxes which is wrong for this livery.

Geoff Endacott

Archived