Peco launch RTR 009 range

Andy Y

This is really great news. As a OO gauge modeller myself, I do appreciate the more flamboyant locomotives which are being released by more outgoing companies. However I do believe that ,even if there was only one or two RTR 009 locos on the market, that people would start modelling in 009 gauge. Dapol's O gauge announcements have really gone down well with modellers in O gauge or not. If a company got into that market now, they could really have the monopoly in that market. A market which is bound to grow after these releases and even more after a RTR loco is released

Which is the only way to have british outline locos in 009. However, as there are plenty of whitemetal kits and chassis to run them on it is not as daunting as it might be, especially if like me you have no skills in soldering brass.

And therein lies the problem, the only L&B offerings in terms of a body kit are circa 30 year offerings from Five79 (ex Chivers Finelines) and Langley which require the MInitrix Ivatt 2-6-2 and Farish 4-4-0 chassis repectively, neither of which is exactly commonly found today or particularly up to modern standards

The L&B Baldwin was talked about as appealing to the North American market as well as the UK, but Peco didn't seem at all keen on doing a RTR loco themselves, hinting that it wasn't their normal line (rolling stock and track) and is a nightmare to make for a manufacturer that isn't set up to do it! They did hint that they would be happy to liaise with any loco manufacturer that takes an interest... I can certainly see their logic, stick to something you know, and the stock chosen is small enough to be used on other lines suitably re-liveried...

I did get the impression that they may well be looking at extending the 009 Mainline track range... Perhaps similar to the HOm range...

And therein lies the problem, the only L&B offerings in terms of a body kit are circa 30 year offerings from Five79 (ex Chivers Finelines) and Langley which require the MInitrix Ivatt 2-6-2 and Farish 4-4-0 chassis repectively, neither of which is exactly commonly found today or particularly up to modern standards

There's the Stenning kit too, but this also requires a Minitrix chassis - don't forget that Backwoods make some lovely etched kits too.

Rather hoping that Peco will follow Accucraft's 16mm/ft range, which started with these same two wagons and has since covered a rather nice cross section of W&L and L&B rolling stock- and the motive power to go with it.

Have Peco mentioned where the stock will be manufactured...? They obviously have the in-house capabilities, but if they're coming from the same manufacturer as the Accucraft 16mm/ft range in China then we might be seeing some W&L stock next...

• RMweb Gold

I think Accucraft's UK operation is headed up by Ian Pearse, formerly part of Pearse Locomotives, who make/made 16mm live steam models. He is also a former Bachmann rep, I think. Whether Peco do deals with other people to this extent I do not know, but as a Shropshire resident, Ian certainly knows the W&L rather well.

• RMweb Premium

Have Peco mentioned where the stock will be manufactured...? They obviously have the in-house capabilities, but if they're coming from the same manufacturer as the Accucraft 16mm/ft range in China then we might be seeing some W&L stock next...

Chap on the Peco stand confirmed to me today that the new announcements were all British made at their Beer premises,

Cheersm Richard

Here are some more close up shots cropped from some images I took on my DSLR:

8217755263_d41217b348_c.jpg

8218838574_fa7fbdcaf4_c.jpg

8218838856_b0081a1a1a_c.jpg

8218839126_951ca07857_c.jpg

And the locos that are DEFINITELY not pre-production L&B samples! Peco already produce these in kit form! James (rear) Jeanette (middle) Glyn Valley Tramway (front).

8217754965_66b98b2a4d_c.jpg

A future RTR L&B loco seems possible too from what I heard.

I think it is good news that they are producing these wagons and coaches even though they are on the larger side of 009 stock.

I think they are actually a happy medium. The coaches might be a little long for smaller layouts, but don't forget there is an ex L&B coach on the Ffestiniog. They may be L&B based but have a nice generic Victorian NG style that would look at home on many NG lines - including the many freelance ones...

As you suggest the market for a loco will depend on the collectors market, and I think the L&B will be an ideal prototype for that, even though it may not be at the top of many 009 modeller's list. Personally I think the 2-6-2 would have widest appeal, and have more options (Manning Wardle and Southern versions, "Lew"), plus it could later spurn other locos using the same chassis parts - or at least be a donor for modellers - such as the VoR tanks and Russell. Smaller locos are feasible, Minitrains do 4-wheeled locos and Roco do 6-wheelers. I think something like a Kerr Stuart Skylark would be a good prototype (used on the Corris, Talyllyn, and West Lancs). But something more recognisable and collectable - plus harder to kit-build realistically - would probably be a better seller.

and the sales of the 2-6-2 would be more than you think as many would buy them to reuse the chassis for other 6 coupled prototypes. I sincerely hope we see a RTR Manning wardle. This is great news from peco - it's time for narrow gauge and 009 to thrive.

There is of course already one supplier of ready-to-run 009 British outline locos: Paul Windle... Admittedly his hand-built models are a different league to the mass production of the big manufacturers - his annual production is about the same as Bachmans hourly output!

In the past his experience has been that locos unique to one line (such as the L&B types) have been poor sellers, and more generic manufacturers' "standard types" appeal to a much wider audience.

I can see the logic of suggesting an L&B loco to go with the Peco rolling stock, but it would be a big risk for any manufacturer. Thinking pragmatically we've just had one weekend when the L&B has been hyped up, but in the longer term other still extant lines such as the Talyllyn and Ffestiniog are more likely to have the mass appeal needed for a model to be viable than a remote, short-lived and atypical line...

Given the 150th anniversary of Ffestinog steam operation is coming up in 2013 something like an England and Bug Boxes might have been a good choice. No valve gear, just connecting rods, inside frames and picking up from loco and tender for smooth running. That big saddle tank would also allow for a fair chunk of weight in an otherwise small loco too (or room for DCC & speaker?).

Given the 150th anniversary of Ffestinog steam operation is coming up in 2013 something like an England and Bug Boxes might have been a good choice. No valve gear, just connecting rods, inside frames and picking up from loco and tender for smooth running. That big saddle tank would also allow for a fair chunk of weight in an otherwise small loco too (or room for DCC & speaker?).

good call that man. must be DCC ready too.

• RMweb Gold

It really great to see the L & B rolling stock coming in RTR. Just a shame i have already got the entire fleet of wagons made up from kits. However I have very few of the coaches so really looking forward to the coaches .

As to an RTR Manning and Wardle - it will probably be announced just as I finish the Backwoods kit!!

Well at last. I am a little late in posting this but what news! For years overseas modellers have been able to buy r-t-r HO9 stock "off the shelf" and enjoy modelling narrow gauge railways either as an adjunct to their HO layout or as a self contained system. Now Peco have opened up the possibility of British modellers doing the same. Well done Peco. I will watch developments with a keen interest and who knows I too may be tempted to "stray" from my 7mm Ramchester branch!!

railwayrod

Once you get an ocean between you and the UK it doesn't really matter, I find. At least in Australia you don't suffer from the "our insurance does not cover shipping to your country" syndrome, at least, yet...

Best, Pete.

Indeed. The ocean between the Channel Islands and the UK must be amongst the most expensive to cross costed per mile. Still, the internet narrows the gap somewhat.

• RMweb Premium

It will be interesting to see how this goes. I would make a plea to Peco to do some undecorated models as well for freelancers.

They will be available painted but unlettered, see post #62 above.

Thanks

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Indeed. The ocean between the Channel Islands and the UK must be amongst the most expensive to cross costed per mile. snip<.

No mate - try living on the Isle of Man.... :O Our wonderful Govt. have allowed the ferry operator sole use of the ramps so no competition.....

• RMweb Gold

They will be available painted but unlettered, see post #62 above.

Thanks

Paul

Sorry, I had not got through all the thread then. Very sensible move. I wish other manufacturers would do the same so that we could have trains of wagons/coaches not all showing the same number.

Very sensible move. I wish other manufacturers would do the same so that we could have trains of wagons/coaches not all showing the same number.

It has been tried before with only limited success. Heljan's unnumbered locos usually ended up in the bargain bin. Only a minority of modellers wish to renumber their stock. Of those, the majority are happy to remove factory-applied numbering. Un-numbered stock is really a bit of niche product, especially since it won't sell to those who just wish to take the model out of the box and run it. However I cann see 009 being a bit different.

They have no intentions on locos but are encouraging others by committing to this range.

I'm afraid I am greatly underwhelmed. A range of RTR wagons and coaches of very limited area appeal is far from what is required to give the OO9 market a boost. Wagons of this ilk are already available in pretty simple kit for from Parkside providing a few more is not going to be very inspirational.

By far the biggest problem in OO9 is the almost total lack of mechanisms at reasonable prices. Almost every kit loco that is available were designed for now unobtainable (or at least working) old mechanisms. Some new kits exist with corresponding mechanisms - but they are few. Long gone are the days when you could pick up a working Arnold or Minitrix for a tenner - now the best available tend to be 08/14 Grafar and there you compete with the N gauge enthusiasts who want it whole and seem prepared to pay OTT prices.

I'm not sure that they are of very limited area appeal, the reason I believe Peco chose them was because they are quite small and can be used in lots of the more common freelance type 009 layouts, the decision to introduce unlettered models alongside the prototype models shows that. I can see them doing quite well amongst the many 009-ers who don't want to be bothered building a kit and want decent running straight out of the box...

The mechanism problem is more one of the N gauge Manufacturer's making rather than that of the kit manufacturers, every time they release a kit the N gauge guy withdraws the loco from which it needs it's chassis or only does a limited run! As someone else said on another forum the use of chassis for NG modelling is a minute part of the sales of N gauge locos and the manufacturers just aren't interested... The other issue of much 009 modelling is something you hinted at, the wish for something for nothing, with the exception of the smaller Roco offerings which have been around for years HOe locos are not all that cheap... But many 009 modellers still think anything over 50 quid is expensive! You pay for what you get, quality-wise...

At least it's a step in the right direction, we shall just have to wait and see if any N gauge manufacturer will take the bait, some were supposed to be making the right noises, but the jump from talk to action is a big one!!

But 009 and RTR are really poles apart - the almost total lack of RTR locos means that almost everyone attempting 009 has got used to building kits and improvising mechanisms from N and HOe when they can obtain them. In trying to attract the buy the box and run a layout crowd the most important part of the jigsaw remains missing - the RTR loco. I still find the offering very limited in scope and if the suggestion is that many will take the offering and then bash them into something else, that I miss the point - why not build from the many good and more varied kits available? The whitemetal loco kits offered by Peco were a good start that I think they could have relaunched and added to - although they are also a bit limited in use producing one as RTR with a good chassis would have made available the train set market. OO9 has the advantage over larger gauges as a first layout interest can be done in a very small space. I still believe they have got this one all back-to-front. I presume the market research was done by someone, though don't think they asked enough current and potential modellers.

Archived