My detailing/repainting projects

How warm has it been today? Absolutely glorious. I'm glad I didn't have a whole lot to do indoors on the old workbench.

The power car has been primed, and the 1st white stripe is on.

8990716130_e45354afa0_b.jpg

8990716684_de43457514_b.jpg

The others have had that good old traditional HST livery element added, the splattered pigeon. I really need to get out more   :no:

8989520419_07758f9326_b.jpg

Edited by blueeighties
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

Hi Lee,

Forgive me for asking another question, but how have you applied the white stripe on that power car.  Is it done with a bow pen or by clever masking and spraying?  Whichever way, it looks very neatly done.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin. Ask away mate! The joy of the forum. The picture is deceiving, I think you think the complete bottom half is masked off and painted white? What I have actually done is left the original painting reference line on that Hornby provide, as I will be painting along that line anyway. So my new white stripe has just been roughly painted along the middle of this line, white over grey is very difficult to see on a photograph. Sorry if that's a poor explanation. All should become clear as the other colours go on.

Hi Lee,

Liking your work mate. Splattered pigeon! great! :good:

Just picking up on the varnish debate. I've got an Iwata dual action and mainly use Railmatch enamels mixed with Precision quick drying, airbrushing thinners.

I agree, it is getting expensive, but I've had consistent results with it and don't seem to have had any issues. I have in the past, when I got my new compressor, sprayed at too high a PSI which resulted in a very strange finish indeed - similar to the blooming which you described.

What sort of mixing ratios do you use between the paint and thinners? I personally, don't take a particularly scientific appoach to it, as different colours and varnishes, have different consistencies, so whichever colour or varnish I want to spray, I thin it to something akin to milk - thin enough to get it through the airbrush, but not too thin so that whilst in the airborn stage between the end of the brush and the side of the model, the thinners has virtually evaporated so that it's near enough neat paint hitting the model, but not quite - as the thinners then lets the paint spread evenly on the flat surface.

Its a bit of a conjuring act really and as you say, it can all depend on how far away you hold your brush from the target surface, how you actually hold the brush whilst spraying, what PSI you're using and how thin the varnish/paint is.

I am quite fortunate though, in that my shed is fully insulated and has aircon, so I manage to achieve a steady temperature most of the year round.

cheers

Andy

Edited by BigAndy

Hi Lee,

Liking your work mate. Splattered pigeon! great! :good:

Just picking up on the varnish debate. I've got an Iwata dual action and mainly use Railmatch enamels mixed with Precision quick drying, airbrushing thinners.

I agree, it is getting expensive, but I've had consistent results with it and don't seem to have had any issues. I have in the past, when I got my new compressor, sprayed at too high a PSI which resulted in a very strange finish indeed - similar to the blooming which you described.

What sort of mixing ratios do you use between the paint and thinners? I personally, don't take a particularly scientific appoach to it, as different colours and varnishes, have different consistencies, so whichever colour or varnish I want to spray, I thin it to something akin to milk - thin enough to get it through the airbrush, but not too thin so that whilst in the airborn stage between the end of the brush and the side of the model, the thinners has virtually evaporated so that it's near enough neat paint hitting the model, but not quite - as the thinners then lets the paint spread evenly on the flat surface.

Its a bit of a conjuring act really and as you say, it can all depend on how far away you hold your brush from the target surface, how you actually hold the brush whilst spraying, what PSI you're using and how thin the varnish/paint is.

I am quite fortunate though, in that my shed is fully insulated and has aircon, so I manage to achieve a steady temperature most of the year round.

cheers

Andy

Just be careful with those thinners; Precision recommends the slow drying thinners for varnish rather than the quick drying ones. I use Railmatch for both and have had no issues, apart from my cack-handed ineptitude it getting it wrong; but with practice it's getting better. Iwata Revolution and an old PremiAir G35.

Jon

Morning Jon,

Yep, totally agree about the thinners. I've chopped and changed over the years, with mixed results and settled myself for the afore mentioned method. It's just that mixing in the way I described, using the quick drying thinners, suits my spraying style, brush and compressor.

Like everyone has agreed, it's all about practice.

I'm just finishing off a Rail blue, Eastfield based 47 and I will be posting some images on my Gallery in the next few days, so if anyone wants to take a look at how my spraying method works on a fairly large area of Rail Blue, feel free to have a peek.

Cheers

Andy

Andy.., I've one of these to do too... yellow on ends sorted and now trying to find out when I'll have time (work/life/parenting/weather) to get around to doing it... but yes, the spraying large areas in one colour take practice. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out too.

Jon

Hi Lee.

I'm being a bit picky here and for that, I sincerely apologise. The top Biege diagonal doesn't seem to line up with the bottom Biege on the left side to me. It might be my eyes or the angle of the picture, but please check it. I can't think how many times I've overlooked something like this only for it to become apparent when the transfers are on.

Please don't think I'm being critical, it's probably my naff eysight.

On the plus side, the paint application looks top notch.

Cheers.

Sean.

Edited by the penguin of doom

Hi Mr Penguin. I think you could be right....when masking for these colours I did them separately, not actually realising I could have done then with one strip of tape correctly lined up, if you know what I mean. Thanks for that, airbrush back at the ready!

• Like 1

Lee whats your thoughts on matt varnish on the hst? I matt coated my n gauge one but Im not sure whether the matt finish looks right on them. I keep looking at mine and thinking should I whiz it over with a coat of satin instead?

Cav

That's interesting, I wonder if that's because you are working in a smaller scale? I matt coated the last 2 I weathered, and I think they look right. I may well be tempted to try satin on this one as they always had quite shiny bodysides.

Hi Mr Penguin. I think you could be right....when masking for these colours I did them separately, not actually realising I could have done then with one strip of tape correctly lined up, if you know what I mean. Thanks for that, airbrush back at the ready!

Thanks Lee.

I hoped you didn't think there was any malice in my comment, apart from this, the work is smashing and I didn't want to put you off. I only ever did one of these, years ago and even though it was Blue/Yellow, I still found it difficult to get those angles right. Actually, I say Blue/Yellow, if memory serves, I did it Black/Yellow as per the livery priorof the first two prior to entering service.

Cheers.

Sean.

Edited by the penguin of doom