My detailing/repainting projects

Hi Lee,

Firstly, congratulations on your wedding. Mrs Lee is obviously already aware of your modelling tendencies, which bodes well for your future together!

Secondly, love the job on the 37. Really beautiful work. I'm looking forward to seeing it weathered.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Lee, I've only just found this thread, and enjoyed the read very much... congrats on the nuptials by the way.... very impressed that the modelling work continues so soon afterwards. All very nicely described and illustrated. You had much better skill with your painting than I mine... but I got there in the end. This is, for me, my favourite livery for these locos and despite it being slightly out of period for my focus... one day I'll have to get one done. Lovely work... and well done!

Jon

I know what you mean about the colours. However, it's probably not too important to get them all the same; the real colour faded so much in service that variation was the order of the day. I used Railmatch as I had some difficulty with the precision paint I used (my fault I know) and the colour does vary, but I'm happy with what I achieved. Your 37 looks splendid... I will be attempting a good finish on my 47 when I get to that stage. The yellow looks good too... I used some white primer over the grey before applying the yellow and this seemed to work ok, giving a good base to the yellow and giving better saturation to the final colour; but I'd be happy with what you achieved.

• Like 1

Very nice finish on that 37 Lee. Absolutely cracking job, knock spots off the factory finish IMO and a great ambassadorial tribute to why we should all have a go at repainting!!

I'm not one for buts, but, I would be braver with the weathering. Using only an airbrush when weathering doesnt do it for me I'm affraid, the airbrush is just one of the weathering tools at your disposal and is best applied for the airborne stuff such as exhaust and traffic film, there are many other ways that the dirt gets on there in real life rather than whistfully blown on by the wind. By using an airbrush for it all you miss so many chances to set the dirt onto the model and imply to the observer how the dirt got there that doesnt come across if its just blown on with an airbrush, it always looks like a bit of sleeper grime/trackdirt blown on with an airbrush.

Saying that please, please don't let that take anything away from the great job you have done though, its a cracker.

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

I certainly think that toning down the Bachmann finish is a good way to go, as Jon has said the variation in blue from fading makes two different shades perfectly acceptable. A matt coat and weather show certainly see 417 fitting in much better with the finish you have acheived on 035.

Looking forward to seeing 250 progress.

Cav

You know Lee you have every reason to be proud of what you have acheived and I meant absolutely no critism of your work, just pointing out the next step on this great journey of ours. There are many, many things to learn and anyone who says they know everything about anything is a fool. I find new ways of doing things every day and different ways to model, paint or weather just as often and I've been modelling one thing or another for nigh on 30 years now cutting my teeth on military, fantasy and sci-fi as well as the railway stuff. Theres a lot to be learnt from other genres so if you really want to push yourself get flicking through a few books and websites aimed at say warhammer figures and military dioramas. The effects that can be acheived are very much relevant to the railway as much as anything else.

Cav

• Like 1

Not always but mostly more due to necessesity as I usually buy the cheapest loco I can use and then make it what I want. I do prefer a repainted finish however over a factory one given the choice. You can build the weathering into the paint job that way.

Cav

I dont have many locos really but all of them have been loveingly built from something else. The 85 being the exception although I did add extra detail to that one. I have to be selective as I have a microscopic modelling budget. I have done quite a few 20s in the past yes. Nice locos to batter up those.

Cav

I dont have many locos really but all of them have been loveingly built from something else. The 85 being the exception although I did add extra detail to that one. I have to be selective as I have a microscopic modelling budget. I have done quite a few 20s in the past yes. Nice locos to batter up those.

Cav

Cav

Guest jim s-w

You too Lee

Yes round Oleo's are shiny others tend to be rust or greased (a spot of gunmetal on yours will sort you out.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

Looks good Lee. I like the windscreens, it looks like someone's attacked the loco with post-it notes :D . I use Maskol fluid when needing to mask transparencies - just paint it on, leave it to cure (a few mins) and peel it off afterwards.

The ploughs look good... well done.

Jon

Looking good Lee. Another thing that I do with bachmannn 37s is to gently open out the face of the airhorns with a drill bit. One about the same size as the face of the horn. Just take it enough in to use the point of the drill. Makes a huge difference!

Cav

• Like 1