Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Knottingley WRD

Richard_S

Tony will build the middle structure; the wagon repair shop and then start adding embossed brick sheet to the fronts. He may well have one of the smaller items on the WFRM stand at this weekend's Wigan Exhibition so you can have a look and ask any questions.

In the meantime I'd like to thank Tony for his assistance.

Tony will build the middle structure; the wagon repair shop and then start adding embossed brick sheet to the fronts. He may well have one of the smaller items on the WFRM stand at this weekend's Wigan Exhibition so you can have a look and ask any questions.

In the meantime I'd like to thank Tony for his assistance.

Richard,

This is probably about as far as I will get. Did only the front face of the large shop but it does provide a pattern to follow for the other two buildings. Hope you like the rendering above the brickwork, it took a good bit of the day to get that accomplished in that specific pattern but I was well pleased with it and it looks very close to the prototype. Tim airbrush painted it for you.

You will need to buy a pack of Evergreen 1mm x 1mm or 1.5mm x 1.5mm angle when at Wigan.

post-6847-007509100 1291903408_thumb.jpg

post-6847-035789700 1291903383_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Richard/Tony looking good. Although I am a big fan of the Bachmann shed in my opinion I think that you have made the right decision to scratch build the shed. By the looks of progress so far it is going to be very impressive. I can just imagine all the Grids parked and idling away!

As mentioned before I always used to love a visit to Knottingley especially in the late 80s, BR Blue, Large logo, Original and Red-stripe Railfreight and Coal sector, quality!

Really looking forward to seeing photos of the shed progressing!

We are planning another session this coming weekend; maybe just maybe I will remember to take a camera along. Thereafter I am not back in college until 6th Jan so ought to be more to show you all.

Picked up a Green Scenes ballast spreader at Wigan gauged for P4; details here;

My link

And this turned up from Ebay which will help renumbering the array of HAAs we will need;

%21BzNvUMg%21mk%7E$%28KGrHqF,%21jMEw5DMd7Z%29BMVE4%29tRCQ%7E%7E_12.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The Arctic conditions drove me indoors from the garage and also made travelling to N Wales more tricky.

So here's what I have spent my time doing; working on a series of old release Hornby HMAs;

post-816-0-00263400-1293552746_thumb.gif

This was done by putting on a wash of runny oil paint, wiping most of it off and then applying the superb pigments from MIG Productions. There are 6 of these so far and they await re-wheeling. W irons are all made up and require painting prior to fitting. My tube of thick cyano-acrylate went off and I'm awaiting a replacement.

The Arctic conditions drove me indoors from the garage and also made travelling to N Wales more tricky.

So here's what I have spent my time doing; working on a series of old release Hornby HMAs;

This was done by putting on a wash of runny oil paint, wiping most of it off and then applying the superb pigments from MIG Productions.

Not a bad looking job so far, Richard. What thinning medium are you using with the oil paint...?

Later, Tony

Tone

I picked up an artists set at Aldi some time ago. It has watercolours, acrylics and oils. The oils are accompanied by a bottle of linseed oil which seems to be the major component (42%) of the actual paint. After a few attempts I decided less was more, made it more runny, applied as little as I could and wiped off surplus with a tissue. Seems to work well for the pigments to key into.

The holiday period has been a productive one. This Breakdown Train Tool Van arrived yesterday and has been converted to P4 operation. As there was insufficient room in the supplied bogies for the new wheelsets I made up 2 MJT CCUs and fitted cosmetic white metal bogie sideframes from the same source together with working scre couplings. It is not an exact match for the vehicle at Knottingley though it does allow something to sit on the appropriate road.

post-816-0-85155600-1293909814_thumb.gif

The bogies require painting and then the whole vehicle will be weathered.

• 1 month later...

A very productive weekend was had at Rochdale, my stint on the S4 demo stand lead to the reworking of 7 HAA wagons. The earlier release version is far more straightforward and for now will form the basis for the fleet.

David Furmage was kind enough to let me run them with my sound equipped 56 on his Longcarse West layout and this image is on his fotopic site;

Longcarse West

As reviewed in the Books section I picked up a copy of Nigel Burkin's new volume on Fine Tuning and Maintaining 00 Models and this will be of enormous value to assist in completing the stock for this project.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the continuing interest.

I lost my modelling mojo for a while, so all work halted. The layout is currently erected in my garage and thorough testing has been the order of the day for a few sessions. The next task is to fit 4 Lenz LA152 front panels allowing operators to plug handsets in front and back and at both ends of the layout, which has grown to 14 feet.

Details (and pictures) to follow.

This afternoon I braved the sub zero temperatures and cut out the 4 holes that will accommodate the Lenz LA152 panels. These require screwing in and then can be daisy chained together with 6 core telecom cable. Aiming to do some of this tomorrow.

This afternoon I braved the sub zero temperatures and cut out the 4 holes that will accommodate the Lenz LA152 panels. These require screwing in and then can be daisy chained together with 6 core telecom cable. Aiming to do some of this tomorrow.

I too have 4 LA152's daisy chained.......but I dont seem to be able to get my pals to unplug and move to another, they seem to prefer to still stretch the cable. :no: They need a bit of "training". Am looking forward to developments with Knottingley, a place I visited regularly during my working life, as I used to visit the big Rockware Glass factory there at least once a month.

Regards............Bob

post-21-0-81510600-1328453516_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello and thanks for the continued interest.

The scenic section is 8' x 2' with a 3' fiddle yard at either end. In the last week I have restarted work and some more locos have turned their wheels on the layout, OMWB this week is a Hornby Railfreight 09 that has swapped motors with a sound equipped EWS 08, now needs re-wheeling with an Ultrascale set so we can have the first sound shunter in action.

Being part of the Vine Yard operating team at the excellent Hornby Live event in Hartlepool last weekend has stimulated the modelling bug once again.

More updates as and when.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

After another long hiatus I spent an entire day working out what to do next to advance this project once more. 2 sheets of 2mm MDF have been cut down to size for a curved backscene and I will go and collect some more timber tomorrow to reinforce the structure with 6mm birch plywood.This is exactly the same construction methods used on Widnes Vine Yard and Charlotte Rd and I have Mike Turner to thank for reminding me of how he built the other 2.

In the meantime I have filled in some of the back part of the board to fit the backscene to. Also ordered 3 lots of Woodland Scenic ballast.

Some pictures of the progress made in the last couple of days. In view of the dust created when woodworking I decided to work on the drive;post-816-0-63934000-1355069720_thumb.jpg

The two end sections of ply are seen reinforced with softwood batonspost-816-0-67586300-1355069748_thumb.jpg

The thin MDF sheets have recesses to allow them to bend in around to the front as on our other layouts.post-816-0-13156700-1355069784_thumb.jpg

The ply support for the backscene is shown clamped to the rear of the layout.

post-816-0-47229300-1355069815_thumb.jpg

Everything needs painting before assembly and I need to choose a pale blue for the sky.

• 2 weeks later...

More progress over the last few days including;

fitting edge connectors to the ends of the scenic section to allow the side pieces to be fitted

M6 inserts and bolts fitted to the rear of the scenic section to fit the backscene

backscene undercoated

short length of damaged track on road 2 replaced

PCB sleepers fitted to each track at fiddle yard ends

Decided that the sheds ought to have inspection pits so the first of three recessed holes was started in the TMD building. One advantage of using plywood for a board top is the laminations provide a depth guide for the pits.

Archived