Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Rev Peter Denny

Stubby47

R.I.P Peter Denny,

he was an inspiration to me, not just in the modelling world, but in the interest of real life railways, it was thanks to this man that i picked up modelling books with good references to his layouts and the RM articles which followed. i owe this man many thanks, as he helped me to develop a deep love and interest in the Great Central Railway and the LNER and hwat happened to the GCR in future years. Had i not found those articles then i would have never taken an interest in the GCR.

Many thanks go to what this modelling Legend gave us.

my thoughts are with his family and friends during this very difficult time.

This is very sad news. I understand that Peter Denny had held operating sessions for Buckingham until very recently and, though long retired, still occasionally conducted services as an Anglican priest.

Though I never actually met him his articles and books have always been an inspiration- the original folding version of Leighton Buzzard which was the subject of a short series of articles in RM- is in my article folder and still useful even now.

His seems to have been an excellent example of a life very well spent and it's clear that those who did know him have lost a very good friend.

My condolences to Peter's family and friends and I hope at least some part of the Buckingham Branch can be preserved as a memorial to a great man.

David

When one thinks of Buckingham, his name instantly comes to mind. Indeed it's hard to believe that the Great Central didn't actually run there. But of course in his model world, and all those of us who followed his writings in the model press, it really did.

Rest easy PD.

How sad. Rev. Denny was truly one of the finest modelers and, from all that I've garnered over the years, a true gentleman.

Very sad news indeed as we were only talking about this lovely man at Wigan a few weeks ago when t-b-g was talking about his visits and how it was so enthralling that the journey down there from South Yorkshire passed in a flash,such was his anticipation of what lay ahead.Condolences to his family. R.I.P.

Very sad news indeed, just yesterday I was re-reading his 1972 Buckingham book and the RM retrospective articles over a post xmas mice pie and thinking what an inspiration. Indeed I was turning to his work to give me ideas/inspiration to how to proceed with my own work, something I have done many times over the years.

Perhaps a case could be made for Buckingham itself to go to Pendon or some such place as a permanent and fitting legacy of his work for current and future modellers to enjoy..

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the saddest thing, reading all of these wonderful comments, is that we did not get the chance to pass them on Rev Denny before he passed away.

I will make sure, however, that these messages are passed to his family.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

An unfortunate end to a remarkable life. I have an early 60s Railway Modeller which has several articles by Rev Denny, I am amazed at the standards he achieved 40 odd years ago. He raised the bar in modelling terms and in the way his layouts portrayed the overall picture - not just some tracks & a few buildings as so many were back then, but a true system in a landscape. Most people could only dream of acheiving the same standards even now.

My condolences to his family. I wonder if any scheme is in place to preserve the Buckingham layouts for the future?

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps the saddest thing, reading all of these wonderful comments, is that we did not get the chance to pass them on Rev Denny before he passed away.

I will make sure, however, that these messages are passed to his family.

Stu

I was lucky enough to be able to tell the great man just how much his modelling and his writing had inspired me, fairly recently. He certainly wasn't the type to seek any sort of glory or fame from his work. He only wrote articles because he hoped that it might help others to build models and I don't think that he really grasped what an impact he made on the hobby. At least I had the chance to tell him and to thank him and I did so! When I visited I told him how I had read most of his articles and books and that I hoped that he didn't mind that I had brought something along and would he mind signing it for me. His reply (with a wonderful twinkle in his eye) was that he would be delighted to but he hoped I hadn't brought them all as signing them would have taken all afternoon!

Like many others, I am very saddened by the news of Peter's passing. In future years this will I am sure be seen as the end of an era in our wonderful hobby. Peter summed up all that was good and great about railway modelling and we are all that much richer for him having walked amongst us. As the years passed a generation of modellers had grown up never having read of Buckingham or at least thinking of it as an almost legendary creation, and then the Railway Modeller last year prompted a last wave of prominence for the layout and the man.

Thank you Peter, Rest in Peace

Articles

1948 - MRC 10 - North Bucks (Great Central) Branch - Pt 1 (cont 11)

1951 - RM 01 - A Great Central Signal Box in 4mm Scale (cont 02)

1952 - RM 01 - Portability Pt 1 (cont 02*,03*,04,05*)

1952 - MRN 05 - The Buckingham Branch Line

1953 - RM 11 - At Home with the Buckingham Branch (also Cover Photo)

1954 - MRN 03 - Train Turntables for Point to Point Layouts

1955 - RM 08 - How to Make '0' Gauge Flat-Bottom Track

1955 - MRN 10 - The Tamar Valley Light Railway

1955 - RM 03 - Building Coach Bodies in 00 Gauge

1956 - RM 07 - Building the Tamar Valley Light Railway

1956 - RM 08 - Build a Viaduct in the Garden

1957 - RM 04 - Open Wagons

1957 - RM 07 - Garden Railway Buildings & Personality Parade

1958 - RM 07 - Progress at Buckingham

1958 - RM 08 - Buckingham Branch Developments

1958 - RM 12 - It Started at Christmas (TT Layout)

1959 - RM 04 - Paint your own Backscene

1959 - RM 06 - A Simple Folding Baseboard

1959 - RM 07 - Making the Grass Grow

1959 - RM 09 - Controlling the Points

1960 - RM 02 - A Small Loco Depot

1960 - RM 05 - Building Leighton Buzzard Part 1 (cont 06, 07)

1960 - RM 09 - Proposed Gas Works at Buckingham

1961 - RM 06 - Two Tracks to Buckingham

1961 - RM 06 - A Kitchen Table Workshop

1961 - RM 06 - A G.C. Signal Box

1961 - RM 06 - Covering Up

1961 - RM 06 - Making Trees

1961 - RM 06 - Building a Small Gasworks

1963 - RM 06 - Buckingham Great Central : All Change

1963 - RM 08 - Great Western - Great Central

1963 - RM 10 - Springing Triang bogies

1963 - RM 12 - Developing a Triang TT Layout

1964 - RM 02 - Making Semaphore Signals

1964 - RM 04 - Small Loco Depot (Grandborough Jcn.)

1964 - RM 10 - Grandborough Junction

1964 - RM 12 - On the Right Lines (TT Layout)

1965 - RM 06 - Operating Buckingham

1967 - RM 08 - Trepolpen Valley Light Railway

1969 - RM 09 - Buckingham Revised

1970 - RM 07 - Station awnings

1970 - RM 11 - Automatic Turntable for Buckingham

1971 - RM 02 - Developments at Buckingham

1972 - RM 04 - Leighton Buzzard (Linslade) Renewed

1972 - RM 06 - The Denny Fiddle Yard

1972 - RM 09 - Buckingham goes AC - The "Computer"

1975 - RM 04 - Buckingham Miscellany 1 - A Country Seat

1975 - RM 05 - Buckingham Miscellany 2 - Carrying Coals to Buckingham

1975 - RM 06 - Buckingham Miscellany 3 - A Great Central Goods Warehouse

1975 - RM 07 - Buckingham Miscellany 4 - More Motive Power

1975 - RM 08 - Trepolpen Valley Light Railway - A New Look at the Garden

1977 - RM 08 - Buckingham Saga - Operating Inside and Out

1978 - RM 09 - Modelling Old-Time Coach

1978 - RM 10 - Axle Guards from Plastic Sheet

1978 - RM 11 - Special Goods Facilities at Buckingham

1978 - RM 12 - Embellishments at Buckingham

1979 - MRN 05 - Buckingham

1980 - MRN 01 - Grandborough Jcn Yard - large Brian Monaghan Colour Photo

1980 - MRN 10 - Buckingham in Operation ??“ incl. 1952 Operating Schedule

1981 - MRN 06 - Trepolpen Valley Light Railway

1982 - MRN 09 - Signalling at Buckingham (cont 10, 12)

1984 - MRN 01 - The Manual Control of Points and Signals

1985 - RM 08 - Buckingham on the Move - Transfer to Retirement Village

1987 - RM 08 - Buckingham - A New Survey. Conducted tour of the Rlwy.

1989 - RM 07 - Building a Model Gasworks

1989 - RM 10 - Peco 40th Anniv. Supplement ??“ Letter from Peter Denny & Photo

1990 - MRJ 43 - (Photo) John Charman at MRJ Exhib. with Peter Denny

1990 - RM 11 - Preview of MRJ Central Hall Exhibition

1991 - MBT 01 - Buckingham in Retrospect. Complete article incl. colour

1992 - MRN 09 - A New Signal Box for Buckingham

1997 - MRE12 - Narrow Gauge Vanguard in the Garden (Garden Railway)

2001 - RM 11 - Buckingham : Retrospect & Up-date (50 Years of Peco)

2009 - RM 01 - Buckingham Great Central ??“ 60th Anniversary of the RM

Special Articles & Books

1961 : June 1961 Railway Modeller - Index of Early Denny Articles

1961 : The Denny Special - June 1961 issue of "Railway Modeller"

1972 : Buckingham Great Central - 25 Years of Railway Modelling - Peco

1979 : Encyclopedia of Model Railways - Article and Colour Photos - Octopus 1993 : Peter Denny's Buckingham Branch Lines Part 1 1945-1967 - Wild Swan

1994 : Peter Denny's Buckingham Branch Lines Part 2 1967-1993 - Wild Swan

1995 : Article in "Model Railways and their Builders" by Jack Ray ??“ Atlantic

2001 : BRM Spring Special 2001 - Classic Layouts ??“ Pages 48 & 49

2009 : Peco DVD xtra No5 : Visit to Buckingham and Interview with Peter Denny

1963 - RM 06 - Buckingham Great Central : All Change

1962??

In future years this will I am sure be seen as the end of an era in our wonderful hobby.

I know what you mean by that, but there is a sense in which we should celebrate his passing as well. He remains an inspiration.

I too was saddened to learn of the passing of Rev Peter Denny, in the early '60's I well remember reading his many articles in the model press, mainly in the "Railway Modeller". Along with Edward Beal, Frank Dyer, Mac Pryke, Ken Norwood, Cyril Freezer, Alex Bowie and Mike Bryant and possibly one or two others who's names I forget he was a great insperation, and alas all now gone. Another name from the past is P.D.Hancock with his neat combination of narrow gauge and the North British Railway. I wonder if he his still modelling? Mick Nicholson.

• RMweb Premium

A very sad loss - he was one of the most inspirational modellers for those of us who started out in the hobby back in the '60s. His modelling achievements (given what was available then) were just staggering, and his magazine articles were always interesting and informative.

RIP and sincere thanks Peter. Condolences to his family.

• RMweb Gold

I am very sorry to hear of Rev Peter Denny's death. His modelling was an inspiration to many and I fondly remember reading and re-reading his articles in Railway Modeller many years ago. I hope Buckingham et al is preserved in some way.

I never had the pleasure of meeting the man but I have a handwritten letter from him in which he enclosed a sample of the old Merko brick paper. One day we will have a running session on that great layout in the sky.

Rest in Peace Peter.

• RMweb Premium

A sad day indeed - the articles about his modelling start before I was born, as a mere lad in the early 60's I was in awe of his skill. The results were aspired to and still are - I doubt that there are very many to match his skills and inspiration.

I don't think it's possible to exaggerate the contribution the Rev Peter Denny made to the hobby. He was one of a generation that was willing to make almost everything from scratch as there were no kits - or certainly very few that were of use to him. (There were also, when he started, few relevant published drawings or historical prototype information.) He tackled every aspect head on, and rebuilt many times because his first efforts didn't quite satisfy him.

He was the undoubted doyen of Great Central modelling. Many (including myself) have followed in his tracks, some humbly (like me) others soaring to new heights of accuracy. However he laid the foundations and inspired many to pick the GC as 'their' railway.

However, he also had a much wider impact in the modelling world, particularly in the field of realism. If you go back to his articles in the late 50s/early 60s and compare photos of Buckingham with the 'average' layout of that time you will see what I mean.

I was lucky enough to see Leighton Buzzard at the MRJ London exhibition, but never saw Buckingham in the flesh, nor met its creator. That was my loss - on the other hand I was an avid reader of his published works.

My condolences to his family and friends - he was a great man.

Archived