Lineside Fire at Stalybridge

Guest 838rapid

Ggrrraah.....B*##*cks,....

.Another reminder of railway history is, now, ashes.

The list appears to be growing longer, both with rolling stock and buildings.

Never too old,...to appreciate.

Guest 838rapid

It may have been destined for demolition,but vandals torched it..

Thats vandalism.

If it was demolished in a controlled manner,the running of trains would not have been affected for hours,it would have been demolished under controlled conditions.

To say it was "due for Demolition this weekend" doesn't justify burning it down and making it a unsafe structure.

• RMweb Gold

Well, THAT didn't take the local baskets long did it?

Was it truly destined for demolition that quick? I suppose the “authorities” have this kind of experience elsewhere!

The truly amazing thing is that Stalybridge Fire Station is only yards away! (I guess 200 yards!) in a direct line of sight!

In the 80s, during a “Saver7 Bash”, I watched a 31 on tanks come into the loop on fire! It was ages, I mean an eternity – ok more than 5 minutes! - before the Fire brigade to responded!

I'm gutted,

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to see yet another piece of history go (whether or not byway of vandalism) but it begs a question - just how much disruption can we expect when NR has the entire country under eight signalling centres and one of those suffers some sort of major incident?

• RMweb Gold

I had "Glasgow" in my head but I just couldn't apply it to "Stalybridge"!

Thanks,

Kev - still gutted and now really missing the open day they held a while ago.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to see yet another piece of history go (whether or not byway of vandalism) but it begs a question - just how much disruption can we expect when NR has the entire country under eight signalling centres and one of those suffers some sort of major incident?

Quite considerable judging by the examples to date at Cardiff and York - and that, in both cases, was with only a bit of what they currently control or will control. Mind you people were saying/asking just the same when the wide control area powerboxes were coming in during the 1960s/'70s.

To say it was "due for Demolition this weekend" doesn't justify burning it down and making it a unsafe structure.

I never said it did, and I can imagine it must have caused a lot of disruption. But there's a big difference between a box being burned down that was otherwise going to be preserved, and one that would have been demolished within a couple of days in any case.

Archived