Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Freight Car Bodgeology

modelmaker87

Looking good Tony B) There's nothing like taking a saw to a nice new model, is there? :D

I agree entirely, in fact if there's no saw cuts it 'aint real prototype modelling. :D :D :D :D :D But Martin, there's more sawing to do.

Tony, looking good as always. You are really an insperation to allgood_mini.gif

Andrew, thanks bud, I hope that you find an odd thing I do on here that you can adapt to your own modelling style. So on with the clinic AND the saw.

Because the shell has been shortened the underframe needs the same treatment,

RMWeb_3369_frame_cut.jpg

After cutting the frame in two both ends need to be filed so that when the two sections are re-inserted back into their location the hole for the trucks matches

the location stud in the body shell whilst at the same time the ends join neatly somewhere close to the center. Note also the internal lugs for the side supports

must also be relocated, again to match the side support locations.

RMWeb_3374_lug_relocation.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Hi Guys,

The tub underside on the BLMA model look like this:

4034_RMWeb_BLMA_underside_tub_ribs.jpg

Solid...!! The prototype underside looks like this:

3136_NS27239_19.jpg

Not solid but channels. So in keeping with the concept of prototype modelling I decided to represent them as accurately as I could and

removed the BLMA moldings and added brass channel section, thus:

RMWeb_3408_tub_channels.jpg

I annotated the image with the note about removing the sharp corner with a chamfer. Initially I didn't do this and when I first came

to fit the actual side tub strap it broke when I bent it around the 90 degree corner. This will become apparant in my next posting.

Cheers, Tony

Tony,

Your accuracy to detail is amazing. Can't wait to see more sir smile.gif

Thanks Branchie, I enjoy doing it and since I'm building only a small US layout then it provides time to do all these stinky details.

They also provide me with complete clinic presentations (lectures in UK parlance) for the RPM meets I go to. If I were to build one

of those huge basements layouts, then no, not enough time to detail in the way I derive my enjoyment out of the hobby.

These images show the stages of fitting the tub strap brackets and the reason why I remove the sharp corners of the channels I

have added. I first CA glue styrene strips and leave them for 24 hours for the CA to get good and hard, then bend them at 90 deg

and glue that portion of the strip to the brass channel. Soon as they get a bite on the channels I pressure cut to length with a

sharp scalpel blade.

Second image shows a piece of styrene angle and pass a rivet thru and the detail is done. Surely BLMA could have done similar.

RMWeb_3410_underside_tub_changes.jpg

RMWeb_3417_strap_angle_brkt.jpg

Cheers, Tony

• 2 months later...

Haven't been in this section for quite a while, so maybe time to do a really easy Athearn Blue Box Bash. Just how many US modellers

have got a few unfinished blue boxes in their cupboard...? A guess...a lot. :rolleyes:

For the Southern Railway Historical Assoc I was asked to put together a presentation for their 'Gathering' earlier this month. The 'Gathering'

focuses on Southern Rly modelling. Being an NS modeller I had to come up with something to show. So I decided to do a Southern

box car, specifically for beginners rather than experts. The SRHA happens to have a huge number of beginners. :D :D :D

First off this is a fantasy car. Fantasy in this context means that the end result will not be accurate but somewhat closer to the prototype and

hopefully a darn sight better than when the new blue box car was lifted out of its r-t-r box packaging. Image that follows was my starting point.

post-6847-037864500 1287848830_thumb.jpg

The areas here work for all four sides.

post-6847-028373900 1287849178_thumb.jpg

The B end.

post-6847-025691600 1287849216_thumb.jpg

A end similar.

post-6847-080823100 1287849239_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Hi Guys,

Onto the actual butchering. Image shows where I have prepped the underside of the lower sill. It also shows where I have made a start

on the sill slope angle instead of the square ends.

post-6847-095625200 1287922698_thumb.jpg

This image shows the added styrene strip which will later be filled and smoothed so as to end up with an increased height sill.

You can also see in this image where I have bashed the ends.

post-6847-094845400 1287922778_thumb.jpg

Here I'm showing a close up of some of the butchery going on. Note that I have already busted off one of the stirrups. They will all get snapped

off with finger and thumb, quicker than using pliers. :P

post-6847-027803900 1287922862_thumb.jpg

I fill the join with Bondo. Works the best, far superior to Squadron putty and Milliput.

post-6847-021766000 1287923110_thumb.jpg

The final product all close and cosy. Note the molded on hand grabs have also been chiseled off.

post-6847-066974600 1287923173_thumb.jpg

The final product - From a distance. Until...????

post-6847-007107000 1287922957_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Typically I make screw ups. Annoying..? not really, they help me to improve in a variety of aspects. To pay attention, measure twice cut

once..that sort of thing.

After doing what I had with the sill I then started to review some images to use as a guide to continue this fantasy box car. Once I had

selected what I felt would do the trick I saw something that I had to change, the sloped angle of the sill.

You can see here that I have removed the styrene I had originally added on the sloped area and rebuilt the horizontal area. Plus a small

piece of styrene stuck onto the corner where I had damaged that corner.

post-6847-002824600 1288012774_thumb.jpg

The other end with some similar damage fill plus the replacement hand grabs bent and fitted.

post-6847-009245200 1288012967_thumb.jpg

image below shows the very rough butchery removal of the B end detail parts, the A end looks almost the same. :lol: :lol:

post-6847-087005300 1288013057_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Typically I make screw ups.

Heh, that makes me feel better. ;) :lol:

I like to include my screw-ups in my posts - I don't want people to think I'm some kind of brilliant modeller, just 'cos they only get to see the good bits. I'd better go and post something on the protoweathering forum now, before I get chopped by 'Jerry the Axe' ;)

Fascinating stuff, as always, Tony.

Hi Tony,

Funny that you should be doing this, I just stumbled across a Athearn boxcar in my desk that has been waiting for me to get a round tuit :rolleyes: . This should help. BTW what diameter wire are you using for the hand grabs?

Cheers,

David

Hi Tony,

Funny that you should be doing this, I just stumbled across a Athearn boxcar in my desk that has been waiting for me to get a round tuit :rolleyes: . This should help. BTW what diameter wire are you using for the hand grabs?

Cheers,

David

David, always 0.012" dimeter. Likewise same for engine hand rails. Thinking about it Dave, all handrail/hand grabs. Period.

Good you have a blue box in your cupboard. Hope you enjoy following along. Tell you what, be neat if you post a few images of your efforts. Nothing like encouragement to those lurkers out there. :secret_mini:

Cheers, Tony

Heh, that makes me feel better. ;) :lol:

I like to include my screw-ups in my posts - I don't want people to think I'm some kind of brilliant modeller, just 'cos they only get to see the good bits. I'd better go and post something on the protoweathering forum now, before I get chopped by 'Jerry the Axe' ;)

Fascinating stuff, as always, Tony.

You and me both Pugsley dude.

Axe from PW..?? not part of the plan, your contributions are so top drawer and show many a novice so much. Period.

Cheers, Tony

I go about replacing the original hunky chunky tack boards by making new from styrene strip. Not exactly a skill job. :unsure:

I don't take too much care with these as they look better when they are a bit tatty like the prototype when they get old.

post-6847-046066100 1288090770_thumb.jpg

Attached to the B end.

post-6847-025942800 1288090965_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Hi Guys,

You will see in this image that I decided to go a step or two further with this fantasy blue box bash. The hand grabs I fitted I removed. This

is because I wanted to add the vertical posts to the inside of the corner posts. An item I forgot to do earlier. The image shows the car

getting undressed.

post-6847-098910800 1288362069_thumb.jpg

And here you see the car with no clothes on... :unsure:

post-6847-059860800 1288362183_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Axe from PW..?? not part of the plan, your contributions are so top drawer and show many a novice so much. Period.

Very kind of you to say so. I was only kidding, I didn't think Jerry was going to axe me really. :) :)

Tony

Why don't you strip the model before you start to add things?

Pete

Pete,

Couple of reasons. 1. I use the existing paint for scribing lines and marking drill centres without digging into the base plastic. And 2. by the time I have done a bunch of changes a good deal of the paint I have filed and scraped off and that makes it easy for the alcohol to get under what remains and the paint lifts off in a New Your minute.

In this case I wasn't too concerned how this car looked as it was a fantasy car. i.e. not a prototype car and I used it as a practice of my weathering and a few ideas I had for other cars that will become as close to prototype as I possibly can make it/them. Athearn blue box cars are basically junk to me but make great demo cars for weathering linics and such and as I said, to practice on.

Cheers, Tony

Tony

You have said that you use alcohol to remove the paint could you be more detailed in what you mean buy the term alcohol please or do you mean some Yanky type of Moon Shine :blink::D

Pete

Medicinal alcohol from the pharmacy, Pete, the stuff they rub on your arm before sticking you with the needle. I get either 71% or 90%, whatever is available on the shelf. Obviously the 90% is the stronger solution and works bit faster on the models. Comes in a bottle. I have been 100% successful in removing paint from original models for all my projects so far. Depending on the model - an Athearn needs about an hour's soak versus a Kato which takes about a month plus soak. Other manufacturers paint jobs vary. I always time my projects such that paint is removed way before I'm ready to get the blade out and start cutting a shell to pieces. Right now I have a models soaking for close on a year, maybe longer. When I lift them out of the alcohol I'll be able to blow the paint off with my air nozzle in about 2 or 3 minutes. There will usually be a few odd corners that I have to get the tooth brush to, is all.

One container I made was using a 15 inch length of 4 or 5 inch diameter plastic pipe, used in the house construction industry - plumbing and all of that. I buy it at the equivalent of D&Q or is it P&Q..? Anyhow any decent DIY store will have plastic pipe of various dias. I glue a piece of flat plastic to the bottom and stand it vertically. Pour alcohol into it plus the model and cover the top with an old plastic grocery bag and an elastic band. I check it now and again and top off any alcohol that has evaporated, which eventually it does.

The nice thing is that there is no oily mess to remove from the model as the alcohol simply evaporates and the shell surface is immediately ready for paint. I tip the used alcohol back into the bottle using a funnel and a coffee filter to capture all the paint flakes and debris in the mix. During the soak the container must have an air tight lid otherwise the alcohol will evaporate.

I've also found alcohol is good for airbrush cleaning in the old ultrasonic cleaner. I used petroleum product before that and still do depending on the paint base. Alcohol is pretty good for dissolving acrylics. But I'm still experimenting and learning different techniques on how to clean up efficiently with minimum time and mess. :D

I use alcohol as a medium for some weathering processes as well. Useful product to keep in the tool kit. Helps to clean hands and pour on the scalpel blade cuts to boot. :D :D And when you're thirsty......hehehehhe

Cheers, Tony

Thanks Tony

That explains it I will have to see if I can get hold of some to try out.

Being the Nanny State the UK is now the god that is "Health and Safety" may have stopped that type of alcohol from being sold in large volumes for our own safety of course.

Thank you for going in to such detail.

Pete

Thanks Tony

That explains it I will have to see if I can get hold of some to try out.

Being the Nanny State the UK is now the god that is "Health and Safety" may have stopped that type of alcohol from being sold in large volumes for our own safety of course.

Thank you for going in to such detail.

Pete

Pete, try http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/surgical-spirit_1_11475.html

This is Isopropyl Alcohol and I'm guessing it is tantamount to the same thing. US parlance a little different methinks. I'd certainly give this a try and test it out and report back here. be interesting little project.

I typed in Google - Surgical Spirit - and a bunch came up. Amazon.UK has got some in stock too.

HTH

Cheers, Tony

Hi Guys,

Next job I did to make a visual improvement was to modify the door slide. An easy job to do which takes not much more than 10 to 15

minutes all told. The image shows the starting point.

post-6847-007292800 1288441588_thumb.jpg

I file gaps in the solid slide according to a 'typical' prototype I have. In this case it was spaced closely to the Exactrail Waffle side box car.

post-6847-075517200 1288441725_thumb.jpg

Add a plate covering the gaps and after some minor adjustments you're good to go.

post-6847-085297100 1288441809_thumb.jpg

Small changes like this to that old blue box makes quite a big difference to the look of the car.

Cheers, Tony

This image shows some remedial work completed on the corner where I dropped it plus a set of hand grabs (for the 2nd time :angry: ) and a glimpse

of a few bits of brake gear.

post-6847-087504500 1288791259_thumb.jpg

Brake gear under the car is much like modelling steam engine inside motion you can't really see it that well. A fun folly but good practice for the

purpose of understanding how brake gear is laid out and functions. A view of the whole enchilada.

post-6847-021025700 1288791224_thumb.jpg

The B end looking a lot closer to a prototype, whatever it may be. Don't forget this is a fantasy car not an actual prototype model.

post-6847-047774100 1288791621_thumb.jpg

Later, Cheers, Tony

Archived