Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

You could have a full time job doing this !!

Just send me one of your unwanted locos when you feel ready, and I'll keep on doing it !  :jester:

Cheers

Grahame

p.s. Off topic, do you know of anyone that makes a tender kit for an Armstrong Goods ( O Gauge of course ) by any chance ?

Have you tried Scorpio??

Didn't realise they were still producing stuff, I'll contact them thank you.

( It's the Scorpio version Armstrong that I've managed to get as an unmade kit - locomotive only )

G

• Like 1

Scorpio are still going strong. Try a PM to Scorpio7uk on here.

Best

Simon

Yes they are still going, it’s a Scorpio tender behind Kelham Hall

Thank you fellas, I've sent an e-mail following Steve's suggestion and will await a reply.

Grahame

• Like 1

Brian,

In absence of someone better qualified than me... (perhaps one will be along in a moment!)

Co-acting means that both arms work together.

The lower one is perhaps sited so it can be seen from close up, after a bridge or other obstruction, whereas the upper arm can be sighted from a goodly distance.

HTH

Simon

You're quite right in the description of a co-acting signal but I've since discovered this is also a slipping distant! The lower arm indicates to the guard that the distant signal is indeed "off", the driver will be proceeding at line speed through the controlling signal box's area and he can release his slip coach from the back of the train and be able to stop it in the right place. If the distant was at caution, the train may be stopping so the slip can't take place as the coach may stop in the wrong place!

HTH

JF

• Like 1

I’ve been contacted by the Bristol O gauge show organisers and the first section of the Riviera line will be at the show next January

Good stuff Steve, it'll be nice to see it on display and always a good show.

You're quite right in the description of a co-acting signal but I've since discovered this is also a slipping distant! The lower arm indicates to the guard that the distant signal is indeed "off", the driver will be proceeding at line speed through the controlling signal box's area and he can release his slip coach from the back of the train and be able to stop it in the right place. If the distant was at caution, the train may be stopping so the slip can't take place as the coach may stop in the wrong place!

HTH

JF

Thanks Jon,

I saw the reference to “slipping distant” in another thread, perhaps in another place :). I’d forgotten about that.

But... the driver doesn’t slip, the slip guard does that. It is well described in, iirc, one of Harris’ books on GW coaches. I’ll have a dig & find the reference. He has to open the window in the front of the slip coach, and manually turn off the vacuum brake cocks, before pulling the slipping lever, and then braking the coach using the vacuum tank on the coach itself. I think the steam heat had a self sealing valve. Presumably, he also has to look out of the window at the right time to see that the distant is off, or he doesn’t go through the palaver! Must have been quite a responsibility, but rather than the routine responsibility of, for example, a signalman or driver, it was all on the one cue - miss that and it would be like missing your entrance in the theatre, or hitting the wrong note in the solo!

And if the train has to stop, the slip has to not hit it! Two trains in same section!!!

Best

Simon

Hi Jon, on reading it again, it was me!

I read "the driver will be proceeding at line speed through the controlling signal box's area and he can release his slip coach from the back of the train..."

you said "the guard that the distant signal is indeed "off", the driver will be proceeding at line speed through the controlling signal box's area and he can release his slip coach"

sorry!

cheers

Simon

Edited by Simond

• 2 weeks later...