Windsor Swallow.

BR_Blue_1986

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

edd,

Have sent you a PM...

but

181ydi.jpg

the Bachmann windsor body is basically correct AKAIK the only mistake they made on the pre-production shell is the lower bodyside band should be white and they have it as "off white off white was "old" intercity livery

the roof and body are the same shade, the black plates are as 47835 in swallow AFAIK it only carried red plates when it was in "old" intercity livery happy to be corrected though.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I managed to purchase an 835 bodyshell again its in the off white that to my knowledge it never carried hopefully with careful masking I can repaint the bottom to the correct colour of white and see what happens!! I'll post a picture before and after to see.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

It is interesting (perhaps) to note that Lima also had a 'Swallow' liveried 47 (838) with the grey/beige lower band.

Is Bachmann guilty of copying another model rather than copying the prototype?

"Prototype" Swallow liveried Class 47's had Falcon Grey on the roof and upper body side, with the lower body side in Silver White. 

Are you talking about the prototype or Lima? If the former then I think we all already know that and that was not what I was referring to. If the latter then I can tell you that I have several Lima bodyshells that had beige at the bottom and Intercity in silver italic with the Swallow logo. I am well aware that this is incorrect.

The point I was making (clearly I thought) was that Lima had made a mistake with the livery and I was wondering whether Bachmann might well have conducted their 'research' by looking at another model rather than photographs of the prototype.

Swallow liveried Class 47's had Falcon Grey on the roof and upper body side, with the lower body side in Silver White. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I wouldnt have thought Bachmann would have referenced a lima model, the printing process for IC and mainline will be similar, and also IIRC Windsor castle was one of the several cancelled class 47 ltd editions, so I suspect Bachmann disposed of some pre-production shells, as there a number of shells of Windsor castle around that have the correct shade white, (I now own one of them).

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Lima 47838 bought new which has a white lower body side. Were there different batches?

I bought 47835 from Bachmann upon release and it has a white lower body side. Some months later I picked up a second 835 bodyshell from Bach stand for £10 which had beige lower body side (planned respray into something else). This would seem to suggest Bach made an error and realised before release, but had a pile of wrong body shells to dispose of.

Vi made same error on their 47/8 and on their twin pack 37/5s. I've heard it said that the colours didn't come out right due to undercoat affecting but my 37/5 lower body side looks exactly the same colour as my vi 37/4s in ic mainline...

M

• 2 weeks later...

Archived