Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium

Like most modellers i have numerous ( well far to many :nono: ) projects on the go mostly 1/2 finished for one reason or another. After a quick discussion with Steve aka PIxie this thread has been created to showcase whats on your 2mm workbench those small projects which do not require a full thread or blog entry, Which hopefully will help give you the impetus to finish that project

Ultima D48 3d printed body with chassis wheels turned down just need to squeeze some more weight and squeeze a DCX76z chip in... :senile:

Ford railcar Worsley etch, Mikroantriebe 4mm 1:144 motor gearbox.motor, this may be a step to ambitious with my limited skills :O

So people whats on your work bench ? :paint:

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

WOW Nick!

You are not making it easy for yourself! There are some seriously small models there and I look forward to seeing more of them in the future.

I will try to post some of my stuff soon...

Missy :)

Most of my current projects are not very photogenic assemblies of brass in the very early stages of being put together, but I do have some reasonably well progressed scratchbuilds (actually the first scratchbuilding I've done in quite a while) that might be of interest to somebody somewhere, viz:

a Furness Railway two plank wagon (plasticard body on a shortened Association underframe) - rivet detail and couplings yet to be added and the body and the underframe have yet to be joined in matrimony ...

IMG_0187_zpsd8d4220d.jpg

a Furness Railway four wheel coach - body only so far

IMG_0186_zps843d922b.jpg

IMG_0185_zps991eb781.jpg

and finally for now, Coniston signalbox - still a kit of parts so may look a bit wonky and still got a lot of work to do before I'm happy with it.

IMG_0188_zps3b6053bb.jpg

IMG_0189_zps30a860f6.jpg

David V

• Like 10

Looking very nice, David. Can I ask how you've done the carriage body? I'm just resizing the Furness GBV drawing from the CRA website with a view to trying a model - after all, a loco and brake is a train!

Thanks Steve, and good luck with the brake van - I'll be interested to see how you get on with it, particularly as I'm going to have to build one or two in the not too distant future. What are you going to be hauling yours with?

The carriage is a 25' All Third (Furness Diagram Eight). Sides and ends are 1mm plasticard with microstrip for the detail, brass wire for the grab handles and N-Brass Loco door handles. Windows were done by drilling out the corners and then sawing and filing to shape. I've still got to decide how I'm going to do the underframe as the 13'6" wheelbase doesn't match anything available from the Association - at the moment I'm leaning towards using a 15' wheelbase underframe behind plasticard solebars, but I need to make one up and see how it looks - and then there's the roof. Very undecided about that. Maybe brass, possibly plasticard - watch this space!

Next time round, I may well go down a different route and build the sides in layers as I'm not totally happy with the way the panels look, but I'm hoping I'll be able to do something about that when the time comes to apply the livery.

Edited by Branwell

Thanks Steve, and good luck with the brake van - I'll be interested to see how you get on with it, particularly as I'm going to have to build one or two in the not too distant future. What are you going to be hauling yours with?

I've got the Mike Peascod drawing of one of the 1910 0-6-0Ts that was in BRM a surprisingly long time ago (2009 I think) and I was thinking of possibly having a stab at that. My interest in the Furness was revived by staying in a cottage just above the Coniston station site this September. However my modelling pace tends to the glacial and so progress will be slow!

• RMweb Premium

Nick - how do you find the running of the MikroAntreibe gearmotor? I'm guessing its one of the 4V models?

Pix

Indeed it is I have tried the motor in the chassis against a 3v button cell and it managed to run along the work bench, my present thinking is to use a 220 ohm/1w resistor but im concerned about the drag the pick ups will induce. :nono:

Most of my current projects are not very photogenic assemblies of brass in the very early stages of being put together, but I do have some reasonably well progressed scratchbuilds (actually the first scratchbuilding I've done in quite a while) that might be of interest to somebody somewhere, viz:

fantastic work there David makes me think I should take up knitting instead of 2mm :fool:

Come on people cameras out and post your latest effort

• RMweb Gold

Not currently on the bench at the moment but due to make a comeback soon in my "get part finished projects finished before starting another one" new years resolution. I have the same resolution every year and it usualy results in a few things being finished before I'm tempted to start something new!

The train is the eight coach mid-week 'Manchester Diner', better known after 1927 as the 'Pines Express'. I will post more details on my Bath thread when they make it back to the bench in the New Year.

post-1074-0-30918800-1355928646_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-73902800-1355928676_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

That looks superb Tom, beutifully crisp and clean,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! It almost went in the bin last night after I managed to distort the ladder, but I think i've got it just about straight again! Anyway, a couple of hours spent this afternoon and it has spectacle plates!

post-1467-0-77435000-1355941311.jpg

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Are those your own etches Jerry?

No, the eight wheel stock is a combination of shot down PC kits and some that Chris Higgs did a few years ago. The two twelve wheelers that make up the Dining section of the train are Bill Bedford sides.

All will ride on 2mm Association bogies.

Jerry

I have some more of the 3D printed wagons to complete. The ones that are closest to any sort of finishing are another GWR W1 Cattle Wagon, and A GWR AA16 Brake Van. Hopefully by the New Year both of these will be complete, the cattle wagon will be the easiest as all it needs is a pair of RCH W Irons (and wheels), some brake gear robbed from an old etch, buffers and of course a roof. The Brake has all of the handrails to fit and the foot boards too. The 3D print included 0.3mm holes for the handrail supports (which I have opened out a little to take some split pin "knobs").

Once these are complete I really must get on with the 57xx chassis that I bought at the AGM to fit under a saddle tank, and also part built on the bench is one of Richard Brummits delightful low siphons.

Sdc15204

Ian

No, the eight wheel stock is a combination of shot down PC kits and some that Chris Higgs did a few years ago. The two twelve wheelers that make up the Dining section of the train are Bill Bedford sides.

All will ride on 2mm Association bogies.

Jerry

The MR coaches I did originated from Alistair Wright (5522 Models). They are the same diagrams as done by Worsley Works.

On my virtual workbench are two new kits of Lowmacs.

My real workbench will trump anyone elses for clutter.

Chris

They sound interesting Chris - what diagrams are they?

Pix

2-240 and 2-241. The first was a BR specific diagram, although it is a lengthened version of an LMS design (P52A/B). The second is more interesting. It is a Swindondesign which traces its origin back to Loriot diagrams G1 and G2 from the 1890s. I am hoping the kit will build all the various permutations. I even found a photo on the Bartlett site of an original G2 still in service in 1984.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I have had a Bill Bedford etch for a Jinty chassis for many years, and having just acquired a GF Jinty body, decided to have a go at building the chassis. The frames do not cater for any particular gear set up so I was on my own there. I decided that a straight 30:1 worm wheel on the centre axle was the most straight-forward arrangement, as can be seen in the photos. Arranging the spacers to take the motor was a real bodge job, but I got something sorted in the end. Simpson springing is used on the outer axles but I decided to experiment with larger than 1.6mm diameter axle holes, so they are a 'bit bigger'than for for the usual method. The chassis performed well in a trial run, pick up seeming to be very good, apart from a slight sideways waddle.

The photos show the chassis after adding the brake gear. This was a fiddly operation, the pull rods being mainly half etched, so very flimsy. The holes for the brake hangers are too close to the wheel rim, so I had to enlarge them to about 0.7mm diameter and solder the 0.3mm n/s rod to the side of the hole away from the rims - just about cleared them.

The motor used is a Nigel Lawton 8mm diameter 10V can, glued to a motor cradle I had spare. It will be interesting to me to see how the loco performs when complete. Under test with the body attached, performance seemed to improve, compared with the chassis on its own.

Nigel H

post-12813-0-20468300-1356015652_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-41931900-1356015700_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The day after the 2mm chassis workshop in Oxford. Ready to jump in at the deep end for my very first 2mm build:

post-1489-0-47314600-1356017907.jpg

It's not quite so tidy now!

Testing the chassis

post-1489-0-68681100-1356018141.jpg

Tender chassis

post-1489-0-61761500-1356018177.jpg

And body

post-1489-0-60276900-1356018213.jpg

Unfortunately progress has been stalled for quite a while. I hope to get going again over the Christmaas break.

Andrew

• Like 7