New Hornby computer based DCC system - eLink

• RMweb Gold

I have no idea what they are using, I do seem to remember it wasn't railcom, although could have changed.

In the loco detection box in the software there is a default message so they have been testing something, you have a drop down box and can select the Hornby ELX96 or the Velleman P8055 which after Googling came up with

EXTENDED USB INTERFACE BOARD

I don't think it means too much though.

Although at Hattons price of £68 it's a no brainer just buy it, even with the extra for the 4amp power supply it will still be a cheap good system.

Cheers

Ian

I would also hope that they use Railcom ... and also that all the decoder manufacturers would support a common system. Do the Hornby DCC fitted locos support Railcom? I suspect not, in which case having to fit a second module for which there is no socket doesn't really line up with the off-the-shelf plug and play approach. That's partly why I think other types of occupancy detection would also be a valuable addition to the system.

....Do the Hornby DCC fitted locos support Railcom? I suspect not,......

AFAIA Hornby's DCC Fitted locos come fitted with their own brand basic decoder, the R8249.

Previous "fitted" models came with the old rubbish R8215. These were still being used in "fitted" models long after the R8249 replaced it in the range.

Neither is RailCom fitted or enabled.

However, Hornby's R8245 Sapphire does support RailCom, but I'm not aware of this decoder ever being used in their DCC Fitted models.

As for a detection and feedback system; I now have a faint recollection of a suggestion that they may be using a barcode system !

Printed barcodes being stuck under locos or trains.

I've no idea where I remember that from and have no idea how true that is?

Just sticking Barcodes under trains would fit in with a user friendly plug and play approach, bearing in mind the wide target audience.

p.s. RailCom transmitters for fitting to non-RailCom decoders, are connected to the pickup wires (Red and Black), track side of the decoder or decoder socket and therefore require soldering.

......I'm more interested in seeing that you can, in the drop down menu for setting up, choose the Elite or the Select! .......

.......Although at Hattons price of £68 it's a no brainer just buy it, even with the extra for the 4amp power supply it will still be a cheap good system.

I'm sure developments will be of interest to existing Hornby Select and Elite users, but for anyone else they can forget those systems when looking at this new offering.

As you say, at £68 it is a complete no-brainer as a standalone DCC system.

Of course we'll have to wait and see if it works properly and see if the apps are up to scratch.

One reservation I have, trivial as it may seem, is Hornby's house style and graphics. Far too garish and retro toy like, for my liking.

Anyone familiar with the inside of a Ryanair plane will be aware of the garish bright yellow seat backs, that are literally right in your face. Plus the advertising stickers all down the cabin on the overhead lockers.

Ever so tacky and an overpowering and unwelcome visual assault.

I can only describe Hornby's graphics as Ryanair cabin with added sick. Yuck !

Hi

Im Running Big Bear Dcc for my layout does most of he things hornbys new one does, but the price is less, perfect for route setting even has a drag on a route and save it function

then assign it to a function button on your layout mimic on the pc, click the button route set pretty easy to set up too

theres a free down load trial version on the web site

im nothing to do with the company just a happy customer.

JOHN.

Just sticking Barcodes under trains would fit in with a user friendly plug and play approach, bearing in mind the wide target audience.

Potentially very cheap and user friendly, although where you stick one on a nicely detailed wagon I'm not sure! I do get the mental image however of having to back your train up past the 'checkout' occasionally for a misread. ;)

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

I think this product has great potential, i'd share your reservations on the look, and agree with the 'we'll have to wait and see' ref quality, reliability, compatibility etc, but 'packaging' all the components of this into a user-friendly starter product is a great idea and deserves to do very well indeed.

I can only describe Hornby's graphics as Ryanair cabin with added sick. Yuck !

With the image that conjures up, I think I won't bother with lunch after all...

Seriously though, I do agree they are doing themselves a disservice in the presentation of what could be a very valuable product for quite a wide range of users.

• RMweb Premium

With the image that conjures up, I think I won't bother with lunch after all...

Seriously though, I do agree they are doing themselves a disservice in the presentation of what could be a very valuable product for quite a wide range of users.

As the screen is only a graphical representation of the track layout and accessories maybe other (less puke inducing!) displays may be available. This could be as a third party option as with PC music players etc.(skins)

Keith

Potentially very cheap and user friendly, although where you stick one on a nicely detailed wagon I'm not sure! I do get the mental image however of having to back your train up past the 'checkout' occasionally for a misread. ;)

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

I think this product has great potential, i'd share your reservations on the look, and agree with the 'we'll have to wait and see' ref quality, reliability, compatibility etc, but 'packaging' all the components of this into a user-friendly starter product is a great idea and deserves to do very well indeed.

"Unexpected wagon in the siding!"

I was pleased to see this in their 2013 range, younger users and those like me who just want to run trains without having to learn a whole new language will hopefully buy it in droves. With almost every household having a smartphone or computer it should sell well. I also like the amazing products from Zimo, Roco, ErCos etc but the prices are eye watering, this system has the simplicity of the best systems, albeit with definite limits at a steal of a price. Agreed about the graphics, but the beauty of a software based system is that you can change that relatively easily!

Hi

Im Running Big Bear Dcc for my layout does most of he things hornbys new one does, but the price is less, perfect for route setting even has a drag on a route and save it function

then assign it to a function button on your layout mimic on the pc, click the button route set pretty easy to set up too

theres a free down load trial version on the web site

im nothing to do with the company just a happy customer.

JOHN.

Hi John

Big Bear is one of those products I meant to go back and have a look at, but just didn't get round to it.

On the face of it, it seems worthy of investigation, so thanks for reminding me about it..

However, Big Bear is just a software package and needs a DCC system or a Sprog for it to operate.

The new Hornby product being discussed here, eLink + RailMaster, is a complete DCC system on its own. You do not need another DCC system for it to operate.

Unlike Big Bear and some other packages, it has app support for smartphones and tablets (both iOS and Android) and has voice activated control capability (add on package just announced).

Also Big Bear will not be cheaper unless you opt for the very limited 7 loco maximum Brown Bear starter version (£19.95), combined with a Sprog 2.

The limited 27 loco maximum Polar Bear version is listed at £44.95 and the 101 loco max Grizzly Bear is £69.95.

In each case you would have to add in the cost of a suitable DCC system (or Sprog).

There is no real practical limitation of the number of locos with the Hornby package. The blurb states....

1600 locos listed

unlimited locos in the database

192 locos held on the screen.

Regardless of how this actually pans out in practise, it clearly has a high enough capacity for all but a small number of people or groups.

p.s. For anyone interested, here's a Link to Big Bear. (Note: theres a drop down menu on the options bar, titled "Big Bear DCC Rail Controller" leading to several other pages, in addition to following "next page" on the intoduction page).

• RMweb Premium

I believe Hornby have hit upon a winner, on the face of it the Hornby e link system does virtually everything that my Z21 does at 1/4 the price, anyone want to buy my Z21?

The Hornby Sapphire decoder is Railcom compliant. You can even use the old R8215 decoders if you fit the Lenz LRC100 Railcom Sender Unit to locos using the R8215 or R8249 non-Railcom decoders.

Hornby have seen the way that the market is moving, first TouchCab with the ECoS, then with Lenz, the the Maerklin CS2 with the Maerklin smartphone/tablet app, then the Fleischmann/Roco Z21.

It is only a matter of time before everyone goes touch screen tablet/smartphone app, or at least offers that option.

But the new Zimo Central Station at over EUR1,200 (GBP1,000?) looks like a move in the wrong direction even if it is all singing and all dancing. As Ron says how many folks actually want that or would use it al lot even if they did want it.

I have just started in DCC running and after much reading on all that was on offer re control systems and WARNED on no circumstances get `Select` or `Elite`  I  managed to get a `Select` unit 4amp transformer and leads secondhand to get me on the so called first rung of the DCC ladder.  I find it very easy to use and instruction Manuel clear and precise directions on all that is required to get up and running. The control unit as stated does look rather toy like but it does what is required  address loco, speed, directional lights, cab lights, horn, ect  using Hornby/ Bachmann decoders and will probably just upgrade to `Elite` and laptop next. I just wondered why these two systems get slated so much when so user friendly for those new to DCC running.

IMAG1802.jpg

IMAG1804.jpg

cheers rab.

Merry Christmas to you all.

.....and will probably just upgrade to `Elite` and laptop next.

Now you can upgrade significantly for far less money, to the eLink + RailMaster option, bypassing the Elite in the process.

In fact you won't need either a Select or an Elite.

This depends on having at least a computer handy and if you have an appropriate smart device, you will have access to wireless handsets too.

I just wondered why these two systems get slated so much when so user friendly for those new to DCC running.

Well for a start, as released they were/are not very user friendly.

Apart from being very limited, as Edwin says, the Select is not properly DCC compatible. It is said that they have improved it, but it's still fundamentally flawed.

The Elite was blighted by very poor and clunky design when it comes to function control. Probably the worst designed system out there.

Hornby have since made firmware changes to significantly improve matters; however there are still other "issues", such as the XpressNet link not working properly.

The RailMaster software package elevates the Elite somewhat, but by linking that software with the new eLink module and forgetting the Elite altogether, it creates a much more interesting proposition.

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the early problems which I agree with, it is also a fact that some people knock Hornby products for the sake of it which is so childish. I have Hornby Elite, Lenz and Roco Z21 which I use for different situations. Quite franky I wish I had waited another couple of months and looked at the Hornby E link in comparison to the Z21 because it looks like the Hornby system will perform the same as the Z21 at one third the price. The secret of any system is if it works for your needs then it is fine.

Other manufacturers are starting to offer RailCom transmitters too.

Uhlenbrock have them and like Lenz, sell them individually or in packs of 5..

I have, and use, LRC100s and know they work. I'd be reluctant to suggest using something that I didn't know or use. The Lenz LRC100s have been available for quite some time now. I wasn't aware that anyone else made anything similar. If Uhlenbrock do sell their own version, that is good, but surprising, at least to me, given that I thought they were in the Digitrax LocoNet camp where I thought Digitrax proprietary Trainsponding system was used, not Railcom. 

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice if the Hornby supported Apple Mac's natively as lack of this would put me off and force me to stay with JMRI and WiThrottle.

I think you will find that Apple's lack of openness and money required to get compatability is why minority users like model railways don't generally get a look in Applewise

Keith

I have, and use, LRC100s and know they work. I'd be reluctant to suggest using something that I didn't know or use. The Lenz LRC100s have been available for quite some time now. I wasn't aware that anyone else made anything similar. If Uhlenbrock do sell their own version, that is good, but surprising, at least to me, given that I thought they were in the Digitrax LocoNet camp where I thought Digitrax proprietary Trainsponding system was used, not Railcom. 

Uhlenbrock are firmly into LocoNet (Digitrax' communications network), but they were never using Transponding.  The earlier Uhlenbrock identification mechanism was Lissy, the Lissy detector would send messages over LocoNet.   

Uhlenbrock have moved into RailCom in a significant way, their Marco range of products looks impressive with automation from the Marco trackside units (by sending messages over LocoNet into the command station).  It just needs a cost-effective railcom signal generator (see another recent thread about DCC4PC's almost ready product) and opens up a lot of options.

I hope to be able to test one of DCC4PC's RailCom cutout devices on my Digitrax command station sometime in the new year.  I'm tempted to see what I can do combining it with a Uhlenbrock Marco unit, and see what LocoNet (and JMRI responding to messages over LocoNet) can do with it.

- Nigel

Archived