New Hornby computer based DCC system - eLink

• RMweb Gold

I was looking at purchasing a Sprog 3, but having seen the E-link this looks like a better option for me. 

Especially now that I have notice a certain dealer local to me is advertising it at £63.75!   

It would be nice if the Hornby supported Apple Mac's natively as lack of this would put me off and force me to stay with JMRI and WiThrottle.

I think you will find that Apple's lack of openness and money required to get compatability is why minority users like model railways don't generally get a look in Applewise

Keith

Keith, you will find there's quite a lot of model railway software that's written for Mac OSX.

Some of which is also available in Windows versions and others which are for OSX alone.

A couple of those, JMRI and RocRail, are well known to members of this forum, but there must be around a dozen products available for Mac OSX based systems.

As you mentioned Apple rather than OSX specifically, don't forget all the model railway apps that are available for Apple iOS devices (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad), including those associated with programmes that run on both OSX and Windows, as well as iOS only products such as TouchCab.

.......If Uhlenbrock do sell their own version, that is good, but surprising, at least to me, given that I thought they were in the Digitrax LocoNet camp where I thought Digitrax proprietary Trainsponding system was used, not Railcom. 

Uhlenbrock are firmly into LocoNet.......

Uhlenbrock have moved into RailCom in a significant way, their Marco range of products looks impressive with automation from the Marco trackside units (by sending messages over LocoNet into the command station).......

Further to Nigel's reply.

A&H Models had a demonstration layout at Warley last month, that was operated by Uhlenbrock DCC equipment.

It was running fully automated train sequences using Marco modules and RailCom.

Coincidently, with this topic in mind (e-Link + RailMaster), A&H were also demonstrating Roco's Z21 system next to the Uhlenbrock set-up.

• RMweb Premium

I'm at the early stages of planning my next stage of DCC/digital control. Currently using a Lenz100 to control the trains and "normal" manual control of points and signals via pushbuttons and switches.

But for the next layout, I would like to seperate the control of the layout (points/signals) from the trains, effectively having a signalman to set the route/signals and a driver to drive the trains. I've been looking at the likes of the MERG Cbus system to control the points/signals - a mix of Peco solenoids in the fiddle yards and Tortoise or Cobalt on the scenic sections and LED signals - maybe even thinking about servos for the points with the upcoming servo control from MERG. With MRCCC software as the user interface.

However - the e-link interests me.

Am I right in thinking it's as simple as buying the e-link with a decent booster, hooking it up to various accessory decoders such as Lenz 150's and NCE switch-its and/or DCC fitted Cobalts, controlled via Railmaster software? Loco control is via Android phones and point/signalcontrol with a tablet/laptop/netbook or two?

Is it that easy?

Cheers,

Mick

I'm at the early stages of planning my next stage of DCC/digital control. Currently using a Lenz100 to control the trains and "normal" manual control of points and signals via pushbuttons and switches.

But for the next layout, I would like to seperate the control of the layout (points/signals) from the trains, effectively having a signalman to set the route/signals and a driver to drive the trains. I've been looking at the likes of the MERG Cbus system to control the points/signals - a mix of Peco solenoids in the fiddle yards and Tortoise or Cobalt on the scenic sections and LED signals - maybe even thinking about servos for the points with the upcoming servo control from MERG. With MRCCC software as the user interface.

Do you have the ability to update MRCCC to work with Cbus ? 

As I understand it, MRCCC was written for the RPC system provided by MERG, and development of MRCCC stopped a long while ago when one of its main authors died.

You may find it easier to use one of the software packages which directly supports Cbus; JMRI, RocRail and SSI are the main ones I know about.

Am I right in thinking it's as simple as buying the e-link with a decent booster, hooking it up to various accessory decoders such as Lenz 150's and NCE switch-its and/or DCC fitted Cobalts, controlled via Railmaster software? Loco control is via Android phones and point/signalcontrol with a tablet/laptop/netbook or two?

Is it that easy?

That's the theory.    But it is theory until a product is available for someone to test and prove.

However, I think an important question is whether the control offered by Railmaster satisfies your operating requirements.   Railmaster has struck me as being designed for controlling model train sets, and isn't an attempt at replicating accurate prototype control of track and signals.   Some other software products come closer to replicating the signalling system of the prototype.

Even with the current announcements, Railmaster/ELink cannot report track occupancy, so any track diagram cannot show where trains are located, and control the signals based on the occupancy of the track ahead of the set route.   A system based around MERG Cbus and different software can do this (as can numerous other hardware options).

Given your existing hardware, and an interest in "building your own" (MERG kits), then you could hook your existing Lenz up to RocRail or JMRI for modest expenditure, and achieve computer control of signalling,  and either computer, Lenz handset, or smartphone control of your trains.   I'd suggest looking at the XnTCP interface parts to link Lenz to ethernet, and hence computer.    Such a setup can have Cbus added later, working alongside the Lenz hardware, if Cbus is cost-effective for some of the things you want to achieve. 

- Nigel

Is it that easy?

Cheers,

Mick

As Nigel says, until the product is released and assessed we won't know, but on the face of it, it should be as easy as it sounds.

However it's important not to confuse this product with other current layout control software.

More valid comparisons should be with DCC systems, with the added bonus of glass screen control of points and routes.

e.g. the NCE PowerCab with its accessory/point control and macros for route setting; the ECoS with its graphical layout diagrams; or the Roco Z21.

That's not to say Hornby won't develop the RailMaster software to become a fully featured layout control package (train reporting etc) at a later date.

But even if they don't, the eLink + RailMaster package appears to offer a very credible option as a DCC system, with the bonus of the graphical layout control facilities and wireless control via "smart" devices.

If all you want is a DCC system and an electronic version of a "traditional" hardware Mimic panel, with lots of added features, then this product may be worth considering.

We just have to wait and see how it turns out (no pun intended) when it's released in a few months time.

Sample Trackplan 1

Sample Trackplan 2

Layout control from a Tablet device.

Loco control from a Smartphone (inc. iPod Touch)

Layout control from a Smartphone (inc. iPod Touch)

No wireless router or network connections required after set-up.

• RMweb Premium

Keith, you will find there's quite a lot of model railway software that's written for Mac OSX.

Some of which is also available in Windows versions and others which are for OSX alone.

A couple of those, JMRI and RocRail, are well known to members of this forum, but there must be around a dozen products available for Mac OSX based systems.

As you mentioned Apple rather than OSX specifically, don't forget all the model railway apps that are available for Apple iOS devices (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad), including those associated with programmes that run on both OSX and Windows, as well as iOS only products such as TouchCab.

I was thinking more of computers rather than network devices. However there do seem to be more than I realised.

Running Windows on a Mac (for Windows only software - e.g. TrainContrioller) doesn't seem to much of a problem these days considering they are now almost the same hardware wise. (I've even notice you can get Mac OS running on a PC!)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

However, I think an important question is whether the control offered by Railmaster satisfies your operating requirements.   Railmaster has struck me as being designed for controlling model train sets, and isn't an attempt at replicating accurate prototype control of track and signals.   Some other software products come closer to replicating the signalling system of the prototype.

Even with the current announcements, Railmaster/ELink cannot report track occupancy, so any track diagram cannot show where trains are located, and control the signals based on the occupancy of the track ahead of the set route.   A system based around MERG Cbus and different software can do this (as can numerous other hardware options).

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply - I may have confused myself with RPC/MRCCC, rather than using the CBUS with JMRI.

As much as train detection would be good, the plan is to visually see the  layout and trains. All I'm really after is limited interlocking in that the signals can't be set until the route is set. If it's occupied, then that's down to the driver to look out for - after all, we are only dealing with models and not lives and full size machinery, so I don't really see the need for added equipment/cost.

As Ron describes it - all I want is an electronic version of a traditional mimic panel. For £60-odd - it may be worth a punt.

Cheers,

Mick

Mick,

Given your Lenz kit (unless you plan to sell it), I would suggest trying to setup JMRI to do what you want.  JMRI can be run in simulator mode.  An interface for Lenz using the XnTCP is about £50-60 to build, and very simple as DIY electronics goes.   

I wrote a tutorial/clinic covering UK signalling inside JMRI last year (see JMRI Clinics webpage), there have been a lot of improvements since that clinic, notable in setting routes over track controlled by signal mast logic (the topic of the clinic). The process does need a little bit of effort to learn some basics, but once you've got the hang of it, the software is very powerful; it will automatically work out the signalling rules for most situations; no need to write rules as to which signals are controlled by which route. The use of occupancy information is optional; you can do without, the operator indicates the train position, or use real hardware, or any combination of these.  

I would be cautious about JMRI support of new Hornby kit until its been tested. The Elite doesn't interface well, it has some bugs which make it difficult to use to its full extent.  If the new hardware is the same, the same problems will arise again.

- Nigel

With the Hornby loco and other announcements - to be honest I missed this, until now.

I've a pair of Lenz Compact 's and was considering replacing them with a set 90. Having seen this -pending a demo, this may be a better option!

I couldn't find anything on minimum spec lap top  requirements. Is that listed anywhere?

Hi All

I have only just seen this eLink news

One the face of things it looks like a good move

BUT

I have some worrys about Hornbys comitment to users

They seem to move the goal post all the time

I made the disision to go the Hornby way with DCC

I brought the Elite, and ass.decoders + reverse modual and started to construct my new layout

we were promised the detection system soon,    ( still waiting)  so my layoutis almost at a stand still

since then they have been pussy footing around with other bits and bobs on the system and nothing gets finished

so now they come out with eLink  ,  good i like it in princible,    but it means my Elite is redundant

and the system is still not completed , still waiting the detection system,

after 3 years following the Hornby camp i am seriously thinking about scrapping the lot and going the Digi Track  way

it maybe expencive  but its all there and works,

Mike

Mike,

"vapourware" and "broucherware" is not unique to Hornby, but common over the entire model train industry.   For lots of reasons, makers announce a plan to develop something, and it never appears, or if it does appear it is years late and different to the originally announced product.    I think I could list a significant piece of years late "broucherware" for every DCC maker. 

The lesson is to buy based on what is actually available, not what is promised for the future.  

If thinking of a swap to Digitrax, then watch the four videos by the McKinley Railway team on automation, it will explain a lot of topics, even if they are not exactly what you want to achieve, or if they are using different hardware/software to what you want.  Also, note that there are a vast number of third-party makers of LocoNet devices (Digitrax' communications network), so you are not tied to having to use Digitrax equipment.

- Nigel

Hi All

I have only just seen this eLink news

One the face of things it looks like a good move

BUT

I have some worrys about Hornbys comitment to users

They seem to move the goal post all the time

I made the disision to go the Hornby way with DCC

I brought the Elite, and ass.decoders + reverse modual and started to construct my new layout

we were promised the detection system soon,    ( still waiting)  so my layoutis almost at a stand still

since then they have been pussy footing around with other bits and bobs on the system and nothing gets finished

so now they come out with eLink  ,  good i like it in princible,    but it means my Elite is redundant

and the system is still not completed , still waiting the detection system,

after 3 years following the Hornby camp i am seriously thinking about scrapping the lot and going the Digi Track  way

it maybe expencive  but its all there and works,

Mike

Does anyone know if the iPad/iPhone/iPod App will work with an existing Elite/Railmaster configuration, or do I now have to invest in this E-Link box?  I would hate to have to trash my investment in the Elite just to gain the next level of functionality.

Paul.

Does anyone know if the iPad/iPhone/iPod App will work with an existing Elite/Railmaster configuration, or do I now have to invest in this E-Link box?  I would hate to have to trash my investment in the Elite just to gain the next level of functionality.

Paul.

No need to worry Paul.

The Apps for mobile "smart" devices and the speech control program, are both designed to work with and through RailMaster.

The DCC system used, whether it is the Elite or the eLink, is what operates the DCC side of things.

RailMaster and any mobile apps running with it, provide the command part of the package, i.e. they are like the handset or console throttles.

So you will be able to use these apps (and the speech control) with either an Elite + RailMaster set-up, or an eLink + RailMaster set-up.

No need to worry Paul.

The Apps for mobile "smart" devices and the speech control program, are both designed to work with and through RailMaster.

The DCC system used, whether it is the Elite or the eLink, is what operates the DCC side of things.

RailMaster and any mobile apps running with it, provide the command part of the package, i.e. they are like the handset or console throttles.

So you will be able to use these apps (and the speech control) with either an Elite + RailMaster set-up, or an eLink + RailMaster set-up.

Yes - Railmaster is the controller so if you want to find out what that can do, you can, (as I did),download the Railmaster manual and a trial version of Railmaster software to your PC from the Hornby website.

Ian

Phew, thats a relief... thanks! I have my Railmaster already controlling my entire layout, so I'm eagerly anticipating this new App on the iPhone...anyone know/guess when the App might appear?  Seems to be much speculation in the forums  :scratchhead:

Paul.

...anyone know/guess when the App might appear?  Seems to be much speculation in the forums  :scratchhead:

Apparently there has been a beta version available for download (I couldn't find it) and in Andy's Hornby 2013 press release, the final release version is said to be completed this month (January) .

If it's on time, that will only be a matter of days or weeks away.

The eLink + RailMaster package is slated for the 1st quarter 2013.

• RMweb Gold

If you download and install RM onto you PC/Laptop when you run the program there is a pop up window that says there is news about RM.

If you click on the read it now tick, it will give all of the latest news on whats available and give the links to where you can download the apps from for your device, be it phone ipad or Android system.

To get to it, if you didn't have the pop up window click on the question mar at the top of the screen and from this pop up window there are buttons one is for news.

I have tried it with my Chinese clone Tablet and it sort of works, but the screen resolution is still a bit out so the loco controls over lap each other, as shown below.

RM support are on the case though and have even said if I send them my tablet clone they will look at trying to get it to work, excellent, it's almost there now and works just the resolution to fix.

post-6745-0-80187300-1357474160.jpg

It does work though, I have operated the points and locos from the tablet and you can see the controls changing on the Net-Book running RM.

The app is limited to two locos and 4 points though.

You will be able to purchase the license key for the tablet copy when it is fully released in Feb, this will cost £9.99

Cheers

Ian

RM supports 2 controllers so I presume you can have e-Link as one and your 'redundant' Elite as the other.

My understanding of the 'other TBA features such as detection' is that they will plug into your PC via usb. I trust hey will work with a hub as my pc usb portage is currently at full stretch.

I wait with baited breath for my e-Link to arrive.

I wonder if e-Link module will be available separately or at a discount for existing licenced RM users.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I have just tried the link on an iPhone and it is not a native iPhone App, it is not available from the Apple App Store, but relies on using a web browser such as Safari to link to the Railmaster software. I could be wrong but I would imagine it will sluggish compared to a true native App such as TouchCab. That is why it is able to run on so many different mobile devices such as a Palm and Windows Mobile (pre 7).

Peter

No need to worry Paul.

Hi All,

I am new to the hobby and to this site.

I am very interested in this topic because I already have a Hornby Elite + Railmaster + Touch screen + 5 x R8247 accessory decoders, but all of these have still to be set up.

However, I note the new Hornby eLink system is considerably cheaper, and seems to offer much - ( a bit annoying considering how much the Elite & RMstr combo cost me).

Questions :

Should I consider selling the elite + railmaster and replace with the eLink when available ?

What would I lose in terms of functionality ?

My current set up (I think) will allow control of trains via the Elite ( 2 dials) and from the 2 Railmaster throttles on the screen, therefore three people could operate trains at the same time. I have never used an iPad or phone to control trains, but am not ruling this out for the future, though I would like to have the option to use control knobs as well....

Your thoughts would be most welcome ..

Peter...

I am very interested in this topic because I already have a Hornby Elite + Railmaster + Touch screen.....

However, I note the new Hornby eLink system is considerably cheaper, and seems to offer much - ( a bit annoying considering how much the Elite & RMstr combo cost me).

The eLink is cheaper because it does away with the control console provided on the Elite.

Should I consider selling the elite + railmaster and replace with the eLink when available ?

What would I loose in terms of functionality ?

You would lose the control console facility on the Elite. The control interface would then be through the computers touch screen, mouse and keyboard, or through any connected touch devices (iPhone, iPad, android phones or tablets etc,).

Even if you would prefer to only use these interfaces and completely ignore the Elite's console, it would make more sense to keep the Elite rather than sell it and then buy the eLink.

However, if you can get a good price for the Elite, you might save some money by selling it and buying the eLink + RailMaster instead.

......I would like to have the option to use control knobs as well....

I think you have answered your own question Peter?

If you want to retain the control knobs, there's nothing to be gained from changing to the eLink.

I have just tried the link on an iPhone and it is not a native iPhone App, it is not available from the Apple App Store, but relies on using a web browser such as Safari to link to the Railmaster software. I could be wrong but I would imagine it will sluggish compared to a true native App such as TouchCab. That is why it is able to run on so many different mobile devices such as a Palm and Windows Mobile (pre 7).

Peter

That sounds appalling !

Hopefully that arrangement is for the trail or beta version and proper apps will be made available when the product is released, otherwise it will be a huge wasted opportunity.

The eLink is cheaper because it does away with the control console provided on the Elite.

You would lose the control console facility on the Elite. The control interface would then be through the computers touch screen, mouse and keyboard, or through any connected touch devices (iPhone, iPad, android phones or tablets etc,).

Even if you would prefer to only use these interfaces and completely ignore the Elite's console, it would make more sense to keep the Elite rather than sell it and then buy the eLink.

However, if you can get a good price for the Elite, you might save some money by selling it and buying the eLink + RailMaster instead.

I think you have answered your own question Peter?

If you want to retain the control knobs, there's nothing to be gained from changing to the eLink.

Many thanks for your thoughts on this.

My hunch was to keep my Elite at present, and wait to hear how successfully the eLink works using iPhones etc. At least I would have a usable system even if the phone batteries go flat during a session !

At present, can an iPhone or similar be used via wireless with my current set up Elite+ Railmaster+PC ????

Peter...

Archived