Hornby 2 BIL

Colin parks

I think the point about running 2 x 2-BIL is that you can ape the prototype and split and join en-route. Ascot, Gatwick, Redhill etc all saw regular such activity, adding to the operational breadth of the layout. Yes, it's easier with DCC, but clever sectioning in the platform can make it effective on DC, too.

Not forgetting Woking where, if one were absent minded, one would wind up in Alton rather than Guildford... However to make a prototype of the Waterloo Portsmouth/Alton working one would need 4 models of a 2Bil/2Hal - lets root for a 2Hal too now that Hornby have weaken'd with the impending realease of a 2 Bil - (At Woking the 4.10pm also had a 4Sub attached to the rear of the Portsmouth bound unit as a bonus) - So we shall also need a 4Sub - maybe Bachmann would be interested???

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium

I'm been keeping tabs on news on this model, but I've seen very few photos of the prototype working solo.

A search on Flickr Hive Mind just now, produced only one image of a 2-car unit working on its own:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63255278@N08/6264977892 on a Guildford-Ascot working.

Were there any other instances that 2 BILs worked solo - I'm curious to know as I may be interested buying a BR green version when released.

Edited by gc4946

• RMweb Gold

I'm been keeping tabs on news on this model, but I've seen very few photos of the prototype working solo.

A search on Flickr Hive Mind just now, produced only one image of a 2-car unit working on its own:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63255278@N08/6264977892 on a Guildford-Ascot working.

Were there any other instances that 2 BILs worked solo - I'm curious to know as I may be interested buying a BR green version when released.

I wouldn't worry. Redhill-Reigate was a regular 2-car formation, and there were plenty of instances of 2-car workings from Horsted Keynes to Seaford. You've already identified Guildford - Ascot (reversing at Aldershot, don't forget) and there were others on the Mid-Sussex (Three Bridges-Horsham-Littlehampton-Bognor. It was normal! 

It's very hard to gain an accurate idea from old colour photos, going from memmory it's true that the Hornby colour as it stands is not correct. If you look at the unit to the left of the BIL in this photo what is blue has come out dark grey !  http://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/6262178156/in/photostream/

Edited by Tigermoth
  • Like 1

Just discovered another image of a solo unit, this time at Gatwick sidings in 1968:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45127721@N05/6499111981

Also a rare shot of preserved 2090 whilst still running on BR, but without its partner 4732:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39707683@N04/8221481274

I notice how dull and grey the roof is in that first flickr pic - repainting the roof of the model will make no end of difference to the overall appearance, an easy job which works on other stock such as Bachmann Mk1s etc. Same goes for the chassis area too, but I think the shade of BR green Hornby have gone for (so far) is a little on the pale side. I wonder how many folk who buy a 2-BIL will weather them...

I think Hornby have got the shade of green about right for 1950s condition, to me it looks pretty spot-on for BR Multiple Unit Green as first applied. Later repaints would have been in the deeper, more olive shades that followed, these would also have been more hard-wearing and less prone to staining. So by the 1960s, you would expect to see a mixture of shades, with or without yellow panels.

Happy New Year to all,

Brian.

I have to add, that people are comparing Hornby's 2-BIl model in 1950s livery, with mid-to-late 1960s photographs, this is not fair to Hornby, as the shades of green would have been different when freshly applied. Of course there are far fewer 1950s colour pics of 2-BILs and they are much harder to find. The 1950s shade was a colder, lighter and more bluey shade of green.

There's another rule about colour shades on models, if in doubt, always steer to a slightly lighter shade of any colour on models, because their small size can never absorb as much light as the full size vehicle. If you paint the full size version and the model with the same pot of paint, the model will always look darker ( when they are both dry! ). BK

Edited by Brian Kirby
  • Like 4

I have to add, that people are comparing Hornby's 2-BIl model in 1950s livery, with mid-to-late 1960s photographs, this is not fair to Hornby, as the shades of green would have been different when freshly applied. Of course there are far fewer 1950s colour pics of 2-BILs and they are much harder to find. The 1950s shade was a colder, lighter and more bluey shade of green.

There's another rule about colour shades on models, if in doubt, always steer to a slightly lighter shade of any colour on models, because their small size can never absorb as much light as the full size vehicle. If you paint the full size version and the model with the same pot of paint, the model will always look darker ( when they are both dry! ). BK

I agree it is very true that the 1950s livery was different to that of the sixties so this does need to be taken into account when discussing the Hornby model.

• Like 2

Regarding any colour photograph as accurate is very wide of the mark. Photos simply cannot be relied upon at all. Different films produced markedly different results, not to mention the quality of the light at the time the photo was taken. They can at best be seen as a very general guide.

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't worry. Redhill-Reigate was a regular 2-car formation, and there were plenty of instances of 2-car workings from Horsted Keynes to Seaford. You've already identified Guildford - Ascot (reversing at Aldershot, don't forget) and there were others on the Mid-Sussex (Three Bridges-Horsham-Littlehampton-Bognor. It was normal! 

In addition to which Brighton - West Worthing / Littlehampton / Lewes locals were often 2Bil alone until later years and so were some quieter trips through to Portsmouth and Eastbourne or Hastings.  Waterloo - Portsmouth & Southsea stoppers were sometimes 2Bil solo south of Woking or Guildford.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

For many years there was a shuttle service operated by a single 2Bil unit (or occasionally a 2Hal) which worked Arundel - Littlehampton - Ford - Arundel - Ford - Littlehampton - Arundel on an hourly pattern.  It must have been tedious for the crews with the driver changing ends at every stop and every 5 minutes or so.  The reason for its existence was to offer good connections to and from Littlehampton into and out of the fast Mid-Sussex line trains at Arundel, and towards destinations on the western part of the coastal line since at the time there was no direct service beyond Barnham to or from Littlehampton.

The service was lightly used and the opportunity of withdrawing it and later removing the bay platforms and associated signalling at Ford and Arundel as part of the general rationalisation of the early 1970s was eagerly taken.

Officially the head code was 1 between Arundel and Littlehampton direct or 3 between Littlehampton, Ford and Arundel.  This ensured there was no confusion on the Littlehampton branch between inbound and outbound trains.  In reality most drivers simply couldn't be bothered with changing the stencil plate as well as changing ends at every stop so the shuttle operated with blank white plates at both ends and the red oil lamp taken by the poor guard from end to end of the unit every stop which was rather more laborious than the changing of a stencil head code by leaning out of the front window!  On only one occasion I saw a unit with stencil plates loaded at both ends showing 1 and 3; as a headcode display was commonly regarded as a front-of-train marker by all staff this practice would have been frowned upon.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And the correct headcode is ......... ?    ;)

Got to agree - that does look good.  One BR unit coming here and now I can say it will appear in a newly-authorised diorama which SWMBO has not only consented to but has requested for installation in the hallway along the top of a low bookshelf.

• Like 1

An early use of a 2-BIL on an excursion to the S&D with their magical invisible electricity.

They filled the Guard's compartment and luggage space with batteries ... the Guard just had to be very careful where he sat with all those bare terminals around!   ;)

It does look good. Was this a pre-production/review model?

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

They filled the Guard's compartment and luggage space with batteries ... the Guard just had to be very careful where he sat with all those bare terminals around!   ;)

It does look good. Was this a pre-production/review model?

And buried the stencil headcodes in the process ...

A pre-production final livery check version as I understand.