Hornby 2 BIL

Colin parks

• RMweb Premium

Double blank was unheard of.  I hope Hornby can arrange something by way of a numeral or two on the final versions.  Most units only carried a single set of numerals 0-9 plus one blank in the cab.  The SR always tried to ensure that headcodes using "doubles" such as 11, 22, 33 etc., were never allocated to electrified routes in order to minimise the number of stencil plates required in each cab.  In later years you were lucky to even find a complete set of numbers and the blank was also missing.  It became the norm rather than the exception to see such trains as the Brighton - West Worthing "crawler" showing white glass 1  rather than black blank 1.  

Once withdrawn units were retired to places like Lancing and Ford sidings.  The dubious element among local train-spotting youth was always alert to new arrivals and made it their business to visit units thus retired and strip them of head code panels and any other goodies they found attractive.  While I can't condone those acts of trespass and theft it has resulted in us having perhaps a lot more stencil headcodes and SR network maps surviving today than might otherwise have been the case.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a set of self-adhesive numerals provided Rick (individual digits to make up any one- or two-digit code), just they hadn't been applied.

Would I be right in thinking that a little care will be required when adding stencil codes of your choice to the ends as I recall reading somewhere that each cab had only one of each digit 0 to 9 available?  If correct then 00, 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 77 and 88 are out.  66 and 99 could be done though but IIRC double digit number headcodes such as these did not appear until a lot later when later electrification schemes such as East Grinstead were engerised by which time the double numbers were amongest the few unused numbers left available and roller blinds were the norm.

• RMweb Premium

See my post above John.  Very very few doubles ever allocated to electrified routes while stencils were in use.  Once roller blinds were universal it ceased to matter.

See my post above John.  Very very few doubles ever allocated to electrified routes while stencils were in use.  Once roller blinds were universal it ceased to matter.

Doubles such as 22, 66 etc were in use from the late 1950s.  However they were confined to non-electrified routes and used by DEMUs, all of which had roller blinds from new.  Victoria-East Grinstead was 66 long before the line was electrified.  I think 22 was Charing Cross-Hastings from when the DEMUs were introduced.

Double blank was unheard of.

Once withdrawn units were retired to places like Lancing and Ford sidings.  The dubious element among local train-spotting youth was always alert to new arrivals and made it their business to visit units thus retired and strip them of head code panels and any other goodies they found attractive.  While I can't condone those acts of trespass and theft it has resulted in us having perhaps a lot more stencil headcodes and SR network maps surviving today than might otherwise have been the case.

Technically shouldn't it be "single opal" rather than double blank :jester:

Spent many a happy hour at Selhurst stripping door parts etc (all sanctioned) from withdrawn SUB's & De-icers for re-use on the Bluebell !

A box of them stencils weighed a ton !!

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Premium

As it appears we may need to update all the published works on SR 2-character headcodes in the light of recently-discovered images of electric trains on the S&D may I offer the following with respect to SR tradition?

1 : Bournemouth West - Bournemouth Central or Hamworthy Junction - Broadstone Junction

2 : Bournemouth West - Broadstone Junction

3 : Bournemouth Central - Broadstone Junction

23: Bournemouth West - Bath Green Park (or limit of electrification)

24 : Bournemouth Central - Bath Green Park (or limit of electrification)

29 : Weymouth or intermediate points to Hamworthy Junction to Bath Green Park (or limit of electrification)

23, 24 and 29 were spare numbers on the South Western for many years during which the 2Bils saw service.

;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

For many years there was a shuttle service operated by a single 2Bil unit (or occasionally a 2Hal) which worked Arundel - Littlehampton - Ford - Arundel - Ford - Littlehampton - Arundel on an hourly pattern.  It must have been tedious for the crews with the driver changing ends at every stop and every 5 minutes or so.  The reason for its existence was to offer good connections to and from Littlehampton into and out of the fast Mid-Sussex line trains at Arundel, and towards destinations on the western part of the coastal line since at the time there was no direct service beyond Barnham to or from Littlehampton.

The service was lightly used and the opportunity of withdrawing it and later removing the bay platforms and associated signalling at Ford and Arundel as part of the general rationalisation of the early 1970s was eagerly taken.

Officially the head code was 1 between Arundel and Littlehampton direct or 3 between Littlehampton, Ford and Arundel.  This ensured there was no confusion on the Littlehampton branch between inbound and outbound trains.  In reality most drivers simply couldn't be bothered with changing the stencil plate as well as changing ends at every stop so the shuttle operated with blank white plates at both ends and the red oil lamp taken by the poor guard from end to end of the unit every stop which was rather more laborious than the changing of a stencil head code by leaning out of the front window!  On only one occasion I saw a unit with stencil plates loaded at both ends showing 1 and 3; as a headcode display was commonly regarded as a front-of-train marker by all staff this practice would have been frowned upon.

It became the norm rather than the exception to see such trains as the Brighton - West Worthing "crawler" showing white glass 1  rather than black blank 1.  

Thanks Rick. I will want to use headcode 1 to show an Arundel - Littlehampton shuttle. Do you or does anyone else know how it should have been shown - officially that is? Blank to left or right of the 1 and was the "blank" white or black in the 60s?

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

Officially - and almost always in practice - the 1 was a "unit" and the blank covers the "tens" side.  Put another way a single digit should always be displayed nearer to the driver's position and the blank farther away.

The same applied to roller blind headcodes.

The blank was black.  When stencil plates were in use as was always the case with 2Bil stock if you saw a white "blank" you were looking at the glass pane and not a white-painted stencil plate blank.  If no blank was found in the cab the driver often used a single digit with the "tens" side left displaying the white rather than walk to another cab and hope to find what he needed.

For the record roller blinds on SR EMU / DEMU stock had red, white and black blanks mid-way through the numbers so 0 - 4, then the blanks, then 5 - 9 which minimised the amount of winding required.  Loco blinds which also contained letters differed.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2

The latest edition of British Railway Modelling ( February 2013 ) HAS A small picture of the Hornby 2-BIL ( unit number 2134 ) which shows at the front quite a good representation of a "04" stencil - the other unit is shown at an angle and I cannot see what is represented there.  It doesn't say how this effect was acheived.

The latest edition of British Railway Modelling ( February 2013 ) HAS A small picture of the Hornby 2-BIL ( unit number 2134 ) which shows at the front quite a good representation of a "04" stencil - the other unit is shown at an angle and I cannot see what is represented there.  It doesn't say how this effect was acheived.

As posted further up the model is supplied with self-adhesive stencil numbers.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

No details of the "NRM" version ?

Having read the relevant sections more closely (the mag only arrived yesterday!), the large pictures in the 'Reviews' section are of BR liveried unit 2090, which it appears is the 'NRM' version.  The 'News' section contains smaller pictures of 2114 (SR livery), with part of a BR liveried unit also visible (unit number not visible, but car number looks like S12167S) - most obvious difference visible in the picture between this one and 2090 being that the shoebeams are wood coloured - on 2090 they are black.