Hornby 2 BIL

Colin parks

A few observations on the Hornby 2BIL,

i bought a 2BIL in Feb.2013 when they first came out, since then, until last month, it ran on it's own.Now I have the latest BIL

unit 2019 and a HAL and it is noticeable that the new units are faster and have a slightly different motor noise to the earlier unit.

Have Hornby used different motors in the later units?. However all units run very sweetly.

Hornby have used the heavy type buffers on unit 2019, surely this is wrong. Another point concerns the window frames

here Hornby have modelled lots of screw heads on them, they should not be there These frames had a flush surface.

I for one am glad that the manufacturers are now spoiling us Southern electric fans after so long!.

My moans are minor ones!!

Hi Trevor.

I have the early releases as 2134 with heavy buffers (x 2 - one renumbered as 2147) and 2090 with lighter, spindly buffers, plus new blue release 2086 with lighter buffers, and 2 HAL 2630.

All of these run and sound the same and required no speed matching to run in multiple (as a DCC consist) - see my earlier post #977. The difference you have observed may well be down to the one individual model and production variances.

Subsequently, I bought two of the early release SR liveried units as 2041 (with a third unit on the way) to provide their motor and chassis units for kit-built conversions of Ayjay Models kits of a 'Tin' 2 HAL, an SR-style 2 HAP and a Bulleid 4 SUB. The two I have already received also run identically to the others.

As two of my conversions require the heavier style of buffers, I'll do a swap with you if you want. The HAP will get white metal BR retracted buffers (non-sprung), to match the Bachmann 2 EPB and 4 CEP units. It may also run with a Hornby 4 VEP but I can't remember off hand what Hornby did with their buffers on those.

Edited by SRman

• 4 months later...

OK, so in my naivety, I bought a (reduced price) Blue 2 Bil thinking that I could convert it to a departmental unit - but seemingly not, unless anyone knows differently of course.....

Thanks,

Andy

Subsequently, I bought two of the early release SR liveried units as 2041 (with a third unit on the way) to provide their motor and chassis units for kit-built conversions of Ayjay Models kits of a 'Tin' 2 HAL, an SR-style 2 HAP and a Bulleid 4 SUB.

Now THAT's a good idea....................

• RMweb Premium

OK, so in my naivety, I bought a (reduced price) Blue 2 Bil thinking that I could convert it to a departmental unit - but seemingly not, unless anyone knows differently of course.....

Thanks,

Andy

As I recall the departmental units were converted from 1925 suburban 3-car set motor coaches not the slightly later 2Bil motors which were to a completely different design.

As I recall the departmental units were converted from 1925 suburban 3-car set motor coaches not the slightly later 2Bil motors which were to a completely different design.

The later ones were converted from 2HAL and all-steel 4SUB power cars...

If it is of any help, there were some 2-car departmental units converted from 2 HAL units, but even those used two motor coaches, so may be a little extravagant, even at the reduced prices Kernow Models are offering.

• RMweb Gold

If it is of any help, there were some 2-car departmental units converted from 2 HAL units, but even those used two motor coaches, so may be a little extravagant, even at the reduced prices Kernow Models are offering.

Pictures of all three variants here - http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/Southern-electric-traction/

The caption on the first picture of 005 wrongly calls it an EPB unit: these units were converted from 4SUBs but were given EPB front ends in the process.

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

Does anybody know which down graded older EMUs were in service as de-icing units in the 50s and 60s please?

Presumably old wooden 4-SUBs or maybe 2-WIMs...(just guessing!)

See Gwiwer's post (#1009) above. The 1925 '3' units were new builds as opposed to steam stock conversions thus had a few less miles on the clock, and were steel-clad. The units they were converted to (S92-S101, later 011-020) lasted from 1959 to 1980. Prior to that there were a few ex-'2' trailer set vehicles converted to single car de-icing vans (converted 1949) which were MU-fitted and ran between two '3' sets in service, and two short-lived 2-car sets (S90/S91, 1957) which were converted from general '3' stock.

Here are some pictures comparing the:

2-BIL heavy buffers and Horns in BR green

2-BIL slim buffers and air whistle in BR blue (surprisingly Hornby have done this in SR days aand BR blue but not BR green)

2-HAL which shares the same underframe and bogies (late green with small warning panels).

1st Picture shows BILs, left slim buffers and air whistle , right heavy buffers and roof horns

2nd fronts, BIL BIL then HAL

3rd Roofs, top to bottom, HAL, BIL, BIL

4th sides (motor end to the right) top to bottom HAL, BIL, BIL

5the sides (motor end to the left) top to bottom HAL, BIL, BIL

post-15098-0-01151000-1426443881_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-74655400-1426443883_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-84867900-1426443885_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-28399600-1426443888_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-27768700-1426443890_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

2090 was withdrawn in BR blue and was repainted into BR Southern green FYE under the auspices of the NRM for its heritage career with 4Sub4732 and which ended abruptly when the 2Bil failed on Falmer bank.

• RMweb Premium

Pure wishlisting speculation, but I'm sure someone will commission a run of 2090 in preserved livery at some point.

Or indeed of any appropriate 2Bil in that livery.  That's one which Hornby hasn't done.  The 2Hal in FYE correctly does not have the wraparound.

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice, but at what price ?

the last 2-Hal from Hornby was £149.99 (R3341A now listed as sold out), and many of these units have ended their days in the bargain bins of retailers between £60-70.

Another post-Brexit 2-Bil or 2-Hal, if 10% rise applied, could be £165... thats a lot for an already well produced unit, especially as a repaint could be achieved on a bargain basement unit cheaply.

Edited by adb968008

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, cyberman said:

What type of Motor is used in the 2BIL, 2HAL and 5Belle from Hornby?  It looks like a Maxon type motor, but correct me if I'm wrong. This is for setting up DCC LOK Pilot decoders.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/2-bil-motor-and-pinions-r3161-x6576?modal=-zoom

i think it maybe  3 pole, but not certain, its certainly a more budget conscious motor, also used in their railroad range.

On 22/05/2021 at 00:59, adb968008 said:

its certainly a more budget conscious motor, also used in their railroad range.

That would certainly fit with the ‘budget conscious’ “design clever” ethos.