Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I see the date might have slipped again..... Hattons website now says quarter 2.... I hope this is not going to be the same as the 42xx... I thought they were coming from different factories? Oh well, I'm sure they will be worth the wait.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Right chaps - a bit of updating.  There is now a sample on display in a showcase at Steam and while there 'on other business' this morning I had a chance for a brief look at it (but too reflective to photo I'm afraid.  I forgot to check out the chimney but it didn't jar in my mind's eye so it might or might not be right, the top fender on the tender is lined (very neatly - like all the lining) and the back of the tender is also lined.  Overall it looked a bit daintier than the published pics which was encouraging and also looked very nicely finished overall.

According to Geoff Davies the currently promised delivery date is sometime in March (but these things have slipped in the past).  The box incidentally is in the same style as the 'Castle' and looks pretty good but as noted elsewhere the overall packaging won't be quite on a par with D1000 and I'm told this is to help keep the price within a reasonable distance of Hornby's own versions.

I was also told how much some of these sales are worth to the museum and as I'm not sure just how confidential the figure is I won't broadcast it.  However D1000 is overall making a pretty worthwhile contribution to the museum's funds so I reckon buying the 'Star' is another good way to give some support to GW preservation in some way or other.

• Like 11

Would I be commiting terrible modelling crimes if I re-numbered the Hornby BR version of the Star to 4056 "Princess Margaret" ?

I gather 4056 lasted a few months longer than "Glastonbury Abbey", and I have seen a photo, taken at Aller Junction, of it working a return Swindon Works Trip Special from Paignton in July 1956. This suits me as it the "latest and nearest" sighting so far to where I need it to be in my imaginary universe.

Still on 4056 can anyone hazard a date for this photograph?

http://www.freshford.com/page165.htm

I thought the notes appear to be suggesting it might be later than fairly shortly after Nationalisation?

Thanks

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Would I be commiting terrible modelling crimes if I re-numbered the Hornby BR version of the Star to 4056 "Princess Margaret" ?

I gather 4056 lasted a few months longer than "Glastonbury Abbey", and I have seen a photo, taken at Aller Junction, of it working a return Swindon Works Trip Special from Paignton in July 1956. This suits me as it the "latest and nearest" sighting so far to where I need it to be in my imaginary universe.

Still on 4056 can anyone hazard a date for this photograph?

I thought the notes appear to be suggesting it might be later than fairly shortly after Nationalisation?

Thanks

4056 was definitely running with the front numberplate removed and the number repainted on the bufferbeam when it worked a special from Birmingham to Swindon in 1956 and may well have carried on it that state until withdrawal in October 1957 (the numberplate was in position on the smokebox in a photo dated 1954).  I do wonder about it being a Portsmouth train as although it is fairly short it looks to be entirely formed with BR Mk1 coaches so it might be another special of some sort.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The caption on the photo is probably correct. That looks to me to be S.R. Mark 1 stock that ran on inter-regional Cardiff/Bristol---Portsmouth/Brighton trains in the 50's. Princess Margaret was indeed the last 'Star'.She received her last general overhaul at Swindon in October 1953.A Bath Road favourite.,despite entreaties,she did not work 'The Bristolian'.Withdrawn in October 1957 aftter 43 years and 3 months in service.....a game old lady whom I had the pleasure of seeing many times in my locospotting days.

• Like 2

As Stationmasster states the smokebox plate was removed, as per all SLS specials using WR engines. The SLS railtour was on 9/9/56 so the shot must be taken after that date.

Unusual for the SR inter regionals is the destination boards on the coaches more usual with expresses from the capital. Alternative suggestion - it could be a Sunday diversion. Not ucommon for London - Bristol trains to run via the Berks and Hants then take then turn north at Westbury.

Towards the end 4056 was being used West of Bristol on a regular basis on the North to West trains, including the early morning mail train from the north, though the occasional run to London was photographed

I have no record of 4056 on the Bristolian either but 4062 was photographed on the Merchant Venturer complete with headboard.

If anyone is looking for something different 4062 was paired with a Hawksworth tender in the mid 1950's.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If the location is as described (Bradford-On-Avon) and the train is travelling, as described, towards Bradford Junctions and it was going to stop at Bradford, and it is correctly lamped,  then there is a very limited choice of timetabled trains which it could have been - either the 08.05 Bristol or 08.20 Bristol - Weymouth, the only Portsmouth bound train it might have been would be the 10.55 Bristol - Portsmouth and if it was photographed on a Sunday it could only have been the 10.10 Bristol - Weymouth (1957 timetable services quoted). The position of the sunlight rules out any other booked trains.

Overall I am more inclined to the view that it is a diverted mainline service in view of the stock.

Still on 4056 can anyone hazard a date for this photograph?

Thanks for sharing that website. There's close to 100 pictures spanning a century of the GWR and BR(WR) in Bradford-on-Avon there ranging from No. 3223 to diverted HSTs. 

If the location is as described (Bradford-On-Avon) and the train is travelling, as described, towards Bradford Junctions and it was going to stop at Bradford, and it is correctly lamped, then there is a very limited choice of timetabled trains which it could have been - either the 08.05 Bristol or 08.20 Bristol - Weymouth, the only Portsmouth bound train it might have been would be the 10.55 Bristol - Portsmouth and if it was photographed on a Sunday it could only have been the 10.10 Bristol - Weymouth (1957 timetable services quoted). The position of the sunlight rules out any other booked trains.

Overall I am more inclined to the view that it is a diverted mainline service in view of the stock.

The angle of the sunlight still confuses me. I assume that the photograph was taken from north of the line. No. 4056 is stopped on the Up line at the home signal* protecting the station confines, west of the Avon river bridge, and west of the Bradford-on-Avon signal box, next to a refuge siding.

* No 3 on this diagram.

This appears to be approximately the same location looking east instead of west.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

If it is Bradford-On-Avon it is very unlikely to have been a Bristol - Weymouth or Weymouth - Bristol service as these trains were usually made up of ex GWR stock in the traditional mixture of styles.  Most Bristol - Weymouth services carried class A lamps and the ex GWR stock remained on these services until the introduction of DMUs and the reorganization and rationalisation of the Bristol area local workings in 1959.  To me the uniform rake of roof boarded BR Mk 1s strongly suggests a diverted main line train

In my 4mm version of the W,S & W 'Glastonbury Abbey' will be renamed as Westbury's 'Queen Berengaria' and most certainly will be seen on Bristol - Weymouth services - she may even appear on the 12.30 Paddington - Weymouth - a regular Westbury turn.

Hope this helps.

Gerry

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Delivery is now likely to be May....

That being this week's date, still to come we have next week's, next month' and so on.  And there were Steam at Swindon getting worried that, from what Hornby had told them, the 'Star' would arrive before D1000!  (oops, I'm getting into the wrong thread).

Referring to Oxzepatriate's comments above the evidence does indeed strongly suggest that it is where he identifies it to be - the background also fits fairly exactly which it would not for the potential alternatives along that stretch.  The sun is - from my recollection of the area - definitely in a morning position as the view would be more directly towards it in the afternoon; look at the shadow of the signal post in this pic which I took in early afternoon -

post-6859-0-80190300-1363432156_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Regarding my comments querying the chimney, Simon Kohler assures me "the chimney on the Star model is correct and drawn from the actual GWR drawings", so I'll shut up now.

Thats good news.How much will you bet me these come out before the tanks.

• RMweb Gold

Regarding my comments querying the chimney, Simon Kohler assures me "the chimney on the Star model is correct and drawn from the actual GWR drawings", so I'll shut up now.

As long as it's the right 'actual GWR drawing'  (hopefully the Steam folk will have made sure of that with the same degree of interest they took in the 'Castle')

• RMweb Gold

I noticed Hornby have corrected the tender lining, to include the top fender, compared to the original PR announcement shot, where it was missing.

Mike Wiltshire

As noted in Post 52 above when looking at Steam's the most recent sample back in February.  Did you see if the back of the tender was also lined as it was on the sample Steam then had on display?

• 2 weeks later...