Halling motor bogie query 14.2mm gauge

Turin 60

Does anyone on this forum have a Halling motor bogie to 14.2mm gauge, if so I wonder if you could help me with the measurement of the chassis width as I want to take the gauge down to 14mm . Can anyone help, your opinions would be most welcome, or would I be better off starting with the 12mm gauge bogie?

John.

John - I don't have one, but I would have thought shaving off 0.1mm either side of the Halling unit would not be an issue and well within existing tolerances. Whereas adding 1mm either side of a 12-mil unit may require replacement axles and bushing. If I was you I'd just buy a Halling motor bogie, play around with it and find out empirically. There you go: a convenient little Xmas project!

Looking at the pics of the Halling bogies and considering the size of the 14.2 gge market, I would be 99% certain that the 12mm and 14.2mm bogies have identical chassis and all you would have to do to the 14.2 version is adjust the back to back setting. As Phil says the 12mm version axles would most likely not be long enough.

Keith

Thanks for your thoughts gents, I suspect that buying the 14.2 version and having a good measure prior to doing anything terminal to a brand new chassis would be the best course. As i said it is to go down to 14mm gauge and in the process it will aquire new larger diameter wheels as well. This is for a 7mm scale project not S scale Phil.

Which Halling motor bogie are you interested in the Vario? http://www.halling.a...pe=1&referid=72 Basically the same thing in HOe HOm and HO, the difference is the axle length, so regauging from 9mm to anything up to 16.5mm is possible, after that you'd need to alter the pickups.

The longer wheelbase drives 35.5 and 41.4 mm are available in HOm and HO again, same drive different axle length only, 54mm in all 3 gauges, again same thing, different axle length.

Axle diameter on all drives is 1.5mm, if you're after 14.2mm gauge it might be better to get HO and move axles inwards.

I have pretty much all of these drives so if you need any pics etc just ask, as for mounting them, I use a plasticard cradle for the Vario with a section of tinplate let in, magnet does the job nicely, the longer ones you can open the keeper plate blind holes out and use a longer m2 machine screw straight through.

Halling also supply direct if you're struggling for supply.

May be worth looking at the Bullant range- they can be ordered with different size wheels- they run well and are available in a variety of gauges and axle spacings- Hollywood foundry site is the first stop for info.

Best of luck

Steve

Yes Bullants are good (I have a couple already) but there is quite a wait while they are made and I always worry until it arrives about wether I got the dimensions right :O .

John

• 3 months later...

I've just ordered a Bo-Bo motor bogie from 3mm Scale Model Railways www.3smr.co.uk at Ally Pally. The guys at the stand were great. They listened carefully and came up with an excellent solution, now all I've got to do is wait for it to come back from Australia. I can thoroughly recommend their service.

Regards

Simon

• 1 year later...

Hi folks

I am new to this site i model in          TT 1.120 I have two of these bogies they will easily ajust to what you want above gauge i run one 7.5 mm wheels and one 8.3 wheels both wheels are insulated tillig wheels that i have fitted my self very good little bogie if you have space to fit them

In my case CZ  DMU they need to swivel so any body with ideas for mounting them i would be very intersted to learn new ways to mount them with very little space each between body and bogie so it needs some sort f cradle like above

Thanks in advance of any help offered dirk

Archived