Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

Typical, just finished my Replica chassied 121. Great news none the less

Not just me then! I was still hoping that Dapol would upscale their 2mm offerings to 4mm. Strangely I'm more excited by this one Dapol announcement than the entire 2013 Hornby releases.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Not just me then! I was still hoping that Dapol would upscale their 2mm offerings to 4mm. Strangely I'm more excited by this one Dapol announcement than the entire 2013 Hornby releases.

An interesting reaction and one which reflects our particular modelling interests (i.e. I like it too!) but equally I suppose this sort of thing is bound to happen as the different manufacturers make their choices of subjects.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know how I missed this earlier - I've just looked through the Kernow Models newsletter e-mail and noticed some limited edition bubble cars from Dapol and thought, 'OK, they're N gauge', but then something didn't quite stack up, because the Kernow announcement was headed 'OO gauge'... a typo perhaps, I thought - then I checked the Kernow website, and that also referred to 'OO' gauge..

Sooooooooo... A very Happy Christmas to you and your colleages, Dave - thanks very much!

This isn't something I desperately need, but I know I'm going to end up with one, because it would be rude not to!

I went through exactly the same thought process CK. Opened the Kernow newsletter, got confused, then ended up here. Completely echo the thoughts above. Ho Ho Ho

• Like 2

Excellent news from Dapol; this was one of the missing DMUs to modern spec for my Bromley to Willesden services.

A few questions for DapolDave before I place my pre-orders:

1) Hatton's Class 121 55033 in Network SouthEast livery: I have seen pictures of this with a large headcode box at the non-exhaust end and a Class 122-style destination box at the exhaust end (e.g. http://www.hondawand...ckwell_1992.htm; http://www.wmbusphot...s121/55033.html). Will the Dapol version have the large headcode at both ends?

2) Have the details of the NSE livery been finalised, e.g. light or dark NSE blue, will it have a specific NSE route logo, will details such as OLE flashes be to pre- or post-privatisation NSE spec etc?

3) Has anyone commissioned a weathered Class 122 in blue/grey? I've had a good look through the lists but can't see this option.

Thanks in advance.

Have a look at the kernow limited ones on the previous page. They are doing the weathered blue/grey version.

That's the Class 121.  I'm after a weathered 122 in blue/grey.  Dapol only seem to be doing one of these in non-weathered version; I'm hoping someone has just forgotten to add the weathered version to the list.

Edited by BR(S)

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the bodyshell of the driving trailer essentially the same, give or take a few minor details, as the body of a motor second from a three-car set? 

If so, then that's a long way towards a 116 or 117.  My vote is for a 116 as they were far more numerous and worked in more areas, including King's Cross outer suburban services for around a decade (not to be confused with the outwardly similar Class 125 hydraulic sets).

The 116 must rank as one of the most numerous DMU types not to have been modelled in 4mm scale RTR, with around 300 vehicles built.

Back to 121s - don't forget this rather unusual one:

3095239969_020f5c805e.jpg
55033_2_BarntGreen_24-7-90 by robertcwp, on Flickr

3096081594_c3e0e9f441.jpg
55033_1_BarntGreen_24-7-90 by robertcwp, on Flickr

• Like 4

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the bodyshell of the driving trailer essentially the same, give or take a few minor details, as the body of a motor second from a three-car set? 

If so, then that's a long way towards a 116 or 117.  My vote is for a 116 as they were far more numerous and worked in more areas, including King's Cross outer suburban services for around a decade (not to be confused with the outwardly similar Class 125 hydraulic sets).

The 116 must rank as one of the most numerous DMU types not to have been modelled in 4mm scale RTR, with around 300 vehicles built.

Back to 121s - don't forget this rather unusual one:

3095239969_020f5c805e.jpg

55033_2_BarntGreen_24-7-90 by robertcwp, on Flickr

3096081594_c3e0e9f441.jpg

55033_1_BarntGreen_24-7-90 by robertcwp, on Flickr

And a 118

E

good news, any chance of a chiltern one or is it too modified? (ie no end exhausts, CDL lights, step protectors etc)

Its in one of the lists Jim.

But yes, after i went to the trouble of shifting the exhausts off the front, it would be good to see a correct model unlike the Hornby one. And the gurads compartment windows!

Congratulations to Dapol on this. Im pretty sure this will turn out to be well worth the effort for them. I will be having a clear out of converted lima units, thats for sure.

Im guessing that 116 and 117 are the logical next step. I hope so. That will need another clear out!!!!

Cant believe how many versions are already announced. Just fantastic.

I wonder,  will it be possible to add a few more of the detail differences between the 121 and 122 that are not present on the N gauge versions - the 122s have a different handrail arrangement around the guards doors, plus shell vents rather than ridged domes. The latter is not so noticeable in N gauge , but much more so in 4mm.

The more i look at the N gauge 122 , the cab roof shape has something of a 'class 101' look about it thats not right. It needs rounding off more towards the cantrail , but then made a litle more bulbous above this - if that makes sense?? Hopefully this can be looked at when scaled up.

never ever thought id see the day we'd get a RTR 122 ,  in regional railways, my fave of all time -  AND in N gauge and OO - what a brilliant year!

Jon

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks for making good use of the slot to produce the 122 Dave. I see it as a welcome bonus in addition to the fact that you are taking all the time necessary to get the 21/29 right. I think I speak for the bulk of ScR modellers in appreciating the fact that you don't wish to compromise the high bar you've set with previous releases.

Not wishing to blow smoke in inappropriate places, just wanted to give suitable recognition.

Dave.

• Like 3

55033 would be a PITA* with its different headcodes either end

Cheers

Jim

*for Dapol I mean

I presume that Dapol could look at different roof dome inserts so you have one basic shell for the 121 and 122 to which the roof domes moulds are added separately?

• RMweb Premium

I think I'm becoming a Dapol convert, every few days their is another reason to just buy their stuff!!

Having followed a few threads from DapolDave and reading his desire to achieve almost perfection at almost whatever cost, Dapol are fast becoming my preferred manufacturer. While out loco shopping yesterday I dismissed the Hornby range completely, settled on a Bachy model, but wished I could see some Dapol models in 00 in banger blue. Their customer interaction and requests for info far surpass any of the other big manufacturers, and that attitude also buys customers.

Look forward to the releases, and a merry Xmas to Dave and all at Dapol.

Mark

• Like 3

For anyone with a sectorisation or early privatisation era layout who fancies a green Class 121 with SYP, 55023 was running around in this livery:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4021/4210704829_1d0beea31f.jpg
121023 (55023) 1993-09-25 Wolverton Works by Banbury Bob, on Flickr

And some footage of it on YouTube:

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 3

I'm pleased that Hattons are producing a departmental 122 in the guise of TDB975023.

This was used for route familiarisation training on the WR and was a regular sight in Bristol.

http://railphotoprin...59B9A#h36b59b9a

According to the website linked to below (see the second picture from the top), the route learner 122 was still in blue livery in 1993 for those who want to use it in a later period.  It had acquired a headlight by then:

http://www.penmorfa.com/Archive/fifteen.htm

And seen between 1989 and 1992 in the following links:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67444577@N02/6980388745/

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3155/2685047104_d980aa1d76.jpg

Class 122 Railcar 975023 by Treflyn, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7132/7522988450_e8a8e81d5e.jpg

975023 Barley Mow 14-2-92 by vincentminto, on Flickr