Hunslet class 05

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Model Rail quotes Kim as saying the later series (D2574-2618) will be produced initially, but that the earlier series (D2550-2573) may follow at a later stage.

Even that is not so simple, this was two batches. The early ones, mainly ScR allocated, had square corners to their cab windows. The later, mainly NER allocated, had rounded corners to their windows. The square cornered cab window locos were delivered in plain green. The later ones appear to have had wasp stripes to start with.  The two batches had different radiator grilles, the earlier locos had a fixed grille with a wide rectangular mesh, like the small cabbed locos. The later engines had vertical opening slats, like an 08. The highest number with square cornered cab windows I have found is D2584 and the lowest round cornered windows is D2591.

Colin Marsden's Modern locomotives illustrated no 195 has D2574 to D2585 allocated to the ScR and D2586 to D2618 allocated to the NER was this the division between the two types? Don Townsley in his article in Model Railways, August 1979, on the small cabbed Hunslet 204 hp locos states "The two final batches of Hunslet shunters were D2574 to D2585 for the Scottish Region and D2586 to D2618 for the North Eastern Region ...." he then goes on to mention the wheel diameter difference. He does say drawings for these would appear in a later edition, did they?

Even that is not so simple, this was two batches. The early ones, mainly ScR allocated, had square corners to their cab windows. The later, mainly NER allocated, had rounded corners to their windows. The square cornered cab window locos were delivered in plain green. The later ones appear to have had wasp stripes to start with.  The two batches had different radiator grilles, the earlier locos had a fixed grille with a wide rectangular mesh, like the small cabbed locos. The later engines had vertical opening slats, like an 08. The highest number with square cornered cab windows I have found is D2584 and the lowest round cornered windows is D2591.

Colin Marsden's Modern locomotives illustrated no 195 has D2574 to D2585 allocated to the ScR and D2586 to D2618 allocated to the NER was this the division between the two types? Don Townsley in his article in Model Railways, August 1979, on the small cabbed Hunslet 204 hp locos states "The two final batches of Hunslet shunters were D2574 to D2585 for the Scottish Region and D2586 to D2618 for the North Eastern Region ...." he then goes on to mention the wheel diameter difference. He does say drawings for these would appear in a later edition, did they?

Well d2587 and d2595 have the rounded window corners, should know as I helped refit them at Bury

It makes sense that Heljan might do the last batch as d2587 is for sale and for no reason has moved to Barrow Hill and is now parked inside the round house still for sale, Scanning maybe

• RMweb Premium

Well d2587 and d2595 have the rounded window corners, should know as I helped refit them at Bury

It makes sense that Heljan might do the last batch as d2587 is for sale and for no reason has moved to Barrow Hill and is now parked inside the round house still for sale, Scanning maybe

Hi Robin

If it is a later one the temptation to buy will be reduced. I was looking forward to a couple of ER based locos for Hanging Hill despite the NER ones being the better looking of the variations within the class.

Hi Robin

If it is a later one the temptation to buy will be reduced. I was looking forward to a couple of ER based locos for Hanging Hill despite the NER ones being the better looking of the variations within the class.

Personally i think the final batch were the best looking of all the smaller BR shunters[cue the outraged howls from the 07 brigade]. If its not protected can anyone post the publicity photo of 3 of them at work at Goole..or point me to where it was published.

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

no point mucking around trying to make the right version for you from the Heljan model - just get the right one from the Judith Edge Kit. (they are not that difficult to build and are well priced)

I am surprised Heljan chose the 05 due to the variety of bodywork and wheel sizes in one (sort of) class. But then again the major manufacturers are just about at the stage where there are few vehicles left to model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

no point mucking around trying to make the right version for you from the Heljan model - just get the right one from the Judith Edge Kit. (they are not that difficult to build and are well priced)

I am surprised Heljan chose the 05 due to the variety of bodywork and wheel sizes in one (sort of) class. But then again the major manufacturers are just about at the stage where there are few vehicles left to model.

HI Barry

It wouldn't have mattered what class of small shunter they chose as all of them had multiple variations and Heljan would have picked the one "Me and my mate did not want" or were so limited in numbers and locations we would have been moaning about that. :threaten:  That is the problem of the bread and butter classes, yet had it been a big green express engine that only ran in its original condition for a short while and only a very limited location we would all have been very excited. :nyam:

• RMweb Premium

Clive

then they should have done an 07 - the 03/05 and 08 have been done to death - the 05 is really problematical as there are so many variants in one class - obviously Heljan are, like the other big manufacturers running out of "real" locos to model.

Barry

I always find wasp stripes decals a bif of a faff and they look like decals with the transfer film etc,cant beat the RTR finish IMO, Bachmann 03 looks superb.I could get someone to paint them professionally but then its starting to get expensive after all the other kit add ons.

saying that ive got a judith edge Jackshaft to finish off soon and that needs wasp stripes painting on it.

the 05 isnt one that I desperatley want, the kits ive built are of locos i really did want including Judith Edge, its one that Id buy as a RTR if it where a good model but dont want it that much to build the kit of it. i do think the kit with its thin brass cab is going to look better a moulded plastic one.

Judith Edge do the earlier Hunslet used by the Mersey docks and harbour board which had a similar looking cab, they where painted a plain colour and ill have one of them in the future, my friend has got the kit and ive been doing a bit of work on it and its a nice kit.

• Like 1

I hope they are doing the earlier version and it would seem to make more sense to me... I am biased as I want a representation of the Hunslet shunter masquerading as an 05 at Didcot, but it does point to the industrial/national network crossover between the earlier types which I am not aware of for the Scottish types.

With the 08, 05, 14, 57xx, Austerity and Sentinel there's a sizable chunk of the NCB's fleet of industrials ticked off... even if they are not particularly representative of the loco fleets.

Clive

then they should have done an 07 - the 03/05 and 08 have been done to death - the 05 is really problematical as there are so many variants in one class - obviously Heljan are, like the other big manufacturers running out of "real" locos to model.

Barry

I`m sure there are plenty out there who would like a fully fitted out Highland 24/1. The rest of us are just content to see another r-t-r diesel on the horizon. I`m after a couple of Devons Road NBL 0-4-0`s[29xx]-the old Triang effort was`ent quite up to spec :no: Now i know that JE are preposing to do a kit but i`m put off by the chassis issue-advice would be welcome.

John

• RMweb Premium

Clive

Barry

Hi Barry

The 05 is a new boy to the RTR cuircit. It has been done in kit form by A1 models, Silver Fox models and more recently by Judith Edge. They have all done the small cab, small wheel version. If Heljan to the later large wheel and large version it would be different to the kits.

Are you thinking of the 04 when you say 03/05? The 04 is another class that has multiple variations....

As for 07s, Southampton docks appear to be a long way from North East London where Hanging Hill is supposed to be.

I hope they are doing the earlier version and it would seem to make more sense to me... I am biased as I want a representation of the Hunslet shunter masquerading as an 05 at Didcot, but it does point to the industrial/national network crossover between the earlier types which I am not aware of for the Scottish types.

With the 08, 05, 14, 57xx, Austerity and Sentinel there's a sizable chunk of the NCB's fleet of industrials ticked off... even if they are not particularly representative of the loco fleets.

I hope they have measured an ex-BR one not one of the ex industrial ones that have been repainted in BR livery. Many industrial Hunslet locos were dimensionally similar but not the same as the BR ones.

Clive

• RMweb Premium

I`m sure there are plenty out there who would like a fully fitted out Highland 24/1. The rest of us are just content to see another r-t-r diesel on the horizon. I`m after a couple of Devons Road NBL 0-4-0`s[29xx]-the old Triang effort was`ent quite up to spec :no: Now i know that JE are preposing to do a kit but i`m put off by the chassis issue-advice would be welcome.

John

JE chassis are not difficult to build up - if I can get them to work anyone can!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Barry

The 05 is a new boy to the RTR cuircit. It has been done in kit form by A1 models, Silver Fox models and more recently by Judith Edge. They have all done the small cab, small wheel version. If Heljan to the later large wheel and large version it would be different to the kits.

Are you thinking of the 04 when you say 03/05? The 04 is another class that has multiple variations....

As for 07s, Southampton docks appear to be a long way from North East London where Hanging Hill is supposed to be.

I hope they have measured an ex-BR one not one of the ex industrial ones that have been repainted in BR livery. Many industrial Hunslet locos were dimensionally similar but not the same as the BR ones.

Clive

Clive yep I meant 04

JE do both versions - Hunslet 05 D2574-2618 being the second version for BR  http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/351

Hunslet 204hp 0-6-0DM BR class 05 being the first version  http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/129

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Clive yep I meant 04

JE do both versions - Hunslet 05 D2574-2618 being the second version for BR  http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/351

Hunslet 204hp 0-6-0DM BR class 05 being the first version  http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/129

Barry O

That will learn me to check out manufacturers websites fully. :scratchhead: