HEAVY METAL Lackenthorpe steel works in N. YARD & DEPOT.

Mr Pix

Hi all

SHED

The layouts home is a Heavy Duty 4 feet x 16 feet Pent Shed squeezed along the side of our new build bungalow. Loft insulation placed along all the walls and door and then lined with tongue and groove, roof lined with thermawrap reflective insulation. Shed is sat on top of 4 x 4 battons which were placed on slabs to give plenty of airflow. I have a thermostatic controlled oil filled heater along with a dehumidifier because i live in the North East of Scotland it gets very damp most of the year, thick rubber matting has been screwed to the floor also. So far.... warm and damp free!

LAYOUT N gauge

Timeframe for the layout will be in the north of England 1988 to 92(ish) so there will be Blue ,Large Logo, Railfreight ,Dutch and Sector liveries, this being the era I rember/like the best. Classes 20,31,37,47,56,58 and the odd 60.

The focus of the layout will traffic to and from a steel works, long heavy block freight trains of roar materials ,coal and coke (haa and hea hoppers) also Iron ore (pta tipplers). Finished product in baa ,spa ,oca ,bda and carggow waggons.

Relief steel works buildings (Walthers Cornerstone and scratch built) along with mineral handling and storage facilities will run along the rear of the layout.

The layout itself will be 2 feet x 16 feet. A raised main line will run along the centre, in the forground will be a depot and a yard linked to the works which will be at the rear by passing under the main line.

A fiddle yard will underneith the layout linked to the both ends of the main line.

thanks for looking. (photos to come soon)

jez

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 7

Hi all

Here is a couple of photos of some of the  buildings that will form part of the works along the rear of the layout.

The coke ovens and service bunkers are a Walthers kit and the coal blending bunkers are scratch built. Conveyors and junction houses will link these and other structures to one another, this is just the  start of the buildings and infrastructure I am planning to come. 

thanks for looking.

Jez  

post-4726-0-23174500-1356877130_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-22296100-1356877153_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Hi all.

Have been testing locos on the inclines up from the the fiddle yard area with 21 MGRs, with Dapols 56 and 58 both handled the load with no problems theses will be the longest rakes of waggons and I will have two of these one with hoods.

Single Farish 37s have had no problem also but I may run them in pairs along with the new 20s, but only have one of these at the moment. Dapol HST will be next ...powercar/ dummy  and 7 coaches, not sure about how the couplings on the mk3s will like the curves on an incline!

Thanks for looking

Jez

post-4726-0-52196100-1357142853_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-73931300-1357142901_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-26794500-1357142957_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Looking very interesting Jez, Any chance of a trackplan?

Graham.

Thanks Graham..... Sorry most of my plan is still a work in progress. I have a plan in my head of what I would like it to be but keep changing and adjusting, going for an L  shape layou but may change to a 45 degree angle along the last 3rd instead of a 90 at the end for the depot.... giving a bigger area to play with.

Thanks for looking

Jez 

Guest Dave.C

I have a plan in my head of what I would like it to be but keep changing and adjusting, 

Been there, done that, got the Tee shirt.

Looking forward to watching you progress though, all the best.

• Like 1

Those industrial buildings look very impressive - both in quality of finish, and also in terms of scale.

I guess in some ways whilst they are very big, on a large size layout like this they'll not dwarf proceedings in the way the would on a smaller layout.

Anyway, good luck, this looks to be an interesting project!

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your comments and showing interest in the layout.

A couple of photos of the layouts home, it sits along the side of our bungalow without intruding to much into the garden. The door edge needs to be sealed to cover up the insulation ,but apart from that its dry,warm and damp free. 

Jez.

post-4726-0-20954400-1357239180_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-72206200-1357239310_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looks canny that. Is it a squeeze getting in and actually working on the layout?

No .....its not to bad the layout is 2 and a bit feet wide so that gives me about 2 feet to work with, it sits about 4 feet above the floor so there is plenty of storage space under the layout for storage.

Jez 

That's an impressive set-up Jez.  I like the scale of the buildings, and the coke ovens look really the part.  You can't beat railways and heavy industry together, and the time period you have picked just means it gets even better. Let the Grids roll....

Best wishes,

Chris.

That's an impressive set-up Jez.  I like the scale of the buildings, and the coke ovens look really the part.  You can't beat railways and heavy industry together, and the time period you have picked just means it gets even better. Let the Grids roll....

Best wishes,

Chris.

Thank Chris..... one of my favourites the 56s used to watch them screamin through Barnatby back in 80s and 90s on mgr and steel trains. I have two of Dapols a Railfreight grey and coal sector ,cant wait for the large logo to come.When I get some ore tipplers i may run them in pairs on the ore trains.

Jez

Guest Dave.C

When I read your first post i thought the 4' wide shed was a mistake, but now I see, what a cracking use of an otherwise useless space.

• Like 1

Hi all

Had a go at two Walthers works buildings this weekend, these will be positioned to form one end of the layout on an enbankment with the main line below passing infront at an angle to the left, then pass under a road bridge and then down and round underneith the buildings to the fiddle yard below.

The tallest building is two halfs of an Electric Furnace building placed end to end. Then a Rolling Mill placed along side it, with the other gable end of this building placed alongside it to the rear ....two for the price of one.

This is a rough mock up just to see how it will fit in and look, they have been hand painted and will need to be weathered and detailed with pipe work, ladders, vents ,doors ects. An overhead  gantry crane will run along side the centre building, placed some yelow stantions just so see if it looks ok?

These  buildings will be for the loading of waggons (baa ,bda ,spa ,oca) with steel coils ,plate ,beams ect. I will run track inside so will be able to shunt waggons in and out.

Thanks for looking

Jez 

post-4726-0-26768500-1358099981_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-82560000-1358100023_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Jez,

That is a good rendition of what I remember as British Steel Blue.  With the 'S' logo on the gable that will be the business. 

It reminds me of an anecedote from the early nineties. A mate and I were sitting in the beer garden of a pub one early summer's evening in Shelton when a van pulled up and aked us if we knew how to get to the steel works.  We both looked at each other, and admitted that we had no idea..  Non-plussed, the guy drove off.  Satified that we could do no more, my mate and I drained our glasses in unison, and turned towards the warm glow from inside the pub.  As we looked round we both saw a huge gable end painted in just the blue you have used - And on the end was emblasoned "British Steel Shelton Works".  Sorry van man, never ask a student directions.. :drink_mini:

Great work Jez,

Chris.

Edited by Gallows Close
  • Like 1