HEAVY METAL Lackenthorpe steel works in N. YARD & DEPOT.

Mr Pix

Hi,

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

I've spent about half an hour this evening reading through this thread, its superb!  Can i ask, I may have missed it earlier (sorry if i did) but how did you build the steelworks buildings - is it foamboard with some kind of covering?

Hi Mike... many thanks for the kind words

Some of the buildings are Walthers kits that have been modified and some are scratch built using ply wood covered in some lined plastic sheets that I obtained from my time in the RAF. They were used for packaging aircraft components.

The Walthers kits are very good, well detailed and easily modified, they're not cheap but got mine whilst on holiday in the US.

Cheers Jez

Thanks for that - i'll go on the hunt and have a look at Walthers!  Im thinking of building some out of foamboard and then putting a suitable covering over the top to resemble that steel cladding side that is quite popular.

Really do like what you've done with the layout - hope your carrying on with it!

Mike.

• 1 year later...

ALL CHANGE

I have decided to rip up Lackenthorpe and move to OO and try DCC sound. The change has got my mojo back,  I have not gone anywhere near the layout in along while, I've got boxes of rolling stock that have not seen the light of day.  So it's time for a BIG change.

Have been slowly selling off my N gauge rolling stock and using the proceeds to purchase OO stock, track etc and a DCC controller. Have put new base boards down and will have a scenic area of around 16x2 feet with a loop along side the other side of the shed.

Will be the same era and be will be a freight only layout so I can reduce the amount of stock and will only have four loco types. A big influence has been the rolling stock that is going to be produced by the likes of Accurascale and Cavalex, quality models made by enthusiastic modellers who listen to their customers.

Lexi our GSD has also changed considerably, she's a big strong athletic girl now,!!!!

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Really sorry to read the latest update. Was one of my favourite N gauge layouts on here.

But looking forward to seeing your next project develop as I'm sure that it is going to be stunner 

Phil 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1