Studio Scale Models Bandon Tank 4-6-0

Hi Folks,

Have not posted a proper topic here so I thought I might Grab 2013 while its Fresh and start to post up here as there are obviously some wonderful modellers and great feel of community. I usually work with plastic kits and resin but have made one Brass Push pull coach already from Roxly models so this is a big hill to climb!!

I purchased this kit from Studio Scale Models based in Ennis,Co. Clare, Ireland. They specilise in all things Irish and heres the link: http://homepage.eircom.net/~studioscale/index.html.  

This particular class of engine was used on the West Cork Railways system (long gone) so is from my local hunting ground so to speak and she is quite an elegant engine in itself. The loco was built by Beyer Peacock from 1906 to 1920. They worked until 1963 and none were preserved.

I started it a few days ago so it is a work in progress at this stage so forgive the massive start post.

The pack consists of 2 sheets of brass etch ( I think this is now redone in a different medium now), Wheels, motor and gear box and white metal detail parts along with some handrail wire. everything you need

Heres a piccy of the brass but as you can see I have already started.

345_4508.jpg

I started with the main body and soldered the valances onto the underneath of the footplace, then a tank side and the cab front. unfortunately some of the tab holes in the footplate were only half etched through so I filed the tabs down in order to used the half etched slots as a guide.

345_4506.jpg

Here you can see the two tank sides on and the tank tops, which are are few mm's short so I just fashioned a new set to overlay the short ones to overcome that little problem. The tank filler cap holes were drilled out.

345_4509.jpg

345_4514.jpg

As you can see here I have the cab done and the chassis fixing bolts soldered in place

345_4510.jpg

A test fit of the boiler raised the little issue that it was too big, I had the Belpaire version so Des from SSM kindly posted a correct 17.5MM one to me.

345_4511.jpg

The Firebox backplate was test fitted and a brass strip was soldered around the edge for a better profile, there are detail parts to be added to this later

345_4563.jpg

The brass overlays were soldered in place on each of the tank and cab sides and well as the bunker.

345_4562.jpg

As I waited for the replacement boiler to come in the post I made up the smoke box and soldered the white metal smoke box door in place, Teh smokebox door wheel was superglued in place. The buffers were also soldered in place which I will need to sand off the seam line before priming

345_4561.jpg

Next to do was the chassis, 1st time round to do  a job like this!!. I needed to ream out the holes to accept the bearings, The chassis brass was prehaps a wee bit to thin for the job IMHO.

345_4566.jpg

345_4565.jpg

345_4564.jpg

Here are the axles for a bit of a test fit, as you can see the slot for the tab on the chassis spacer are not aligned correctly so the tab was filed off.

345_4567.jpg

The new boiler arrived and fitted nice and snug under the smokebox but I need to use some plasticard here which was wrapped aorund the tube and heated up with the soldering iron so as to take the shape of the boiler as It would be used as a fillet between the smokebox cover and the boiler, you can see it in white here. I also soldered on the frame extensions and the footsteps and put the wheels on for test. There was a good bit of brass to cut away from the footplate to make room for the last two driving wheels.

345_4569.jpg

345_4568.jpg

345_4570.jpg

I then drilled the holes in the boiler to accept the dome and the safety valve.

I then soldered the pony truck sides and overlay and put the pony wheels on.

345_4569.jpg

Then is was turn to solder the steam dome and safety valves in place and test fit the boiler, this is where I currently at right now.

345_4574.jpg

345_4578.jpg

345_4577.jpg

345_4574.jpg

the next step is to install the gearbox and motor which I should have done possibly before the frames were soldered but I'll work something out!!!

Thanks for looking and your comments are appreciated.

Regards

George

ismbanner.jpg

Fantastic work as usual George and I see you had to do quite a bit of adapting to do to get things right.  While I continue to hold onto an ambition to make full brass kit the amount skill displayed by you to get parts accurately soldered is still beyond me.   Looking forward to seeing the completion of this lovely model.

I can't really see too much in the way of adaptation there Kirely. It looks a decent kit. Etching holes slightly undersize, for example, is normal (it accommodates the variation inherent in the etching process and it's much easier to take material away than to add it). What this build does show is how strange Irish prototypes look on OO track to my eyes - understandable though the compromise is - the additional overhang (relative to English, Welsh or Scottish standard gauge prototypes) makes to models look like narrow gauge machines. This is also presumably the reason for having to cut the footplate away; my understanding is that SSM kits are designed with building to scale 21mm gauge in mind. The frame extensions above the footplate in front of the smokebox demonstrate this very neatly. 

Nice build of an attractive prototype.

Adam

....; my understanding is that SSM kits are designed with building to scale 21mm gauge in mind. ...

There are allowances for 21mm gauge, yes, but you may end up making your own spacers for the correct gauge, as I have had to. Exactoscale (in the Bernard Weller era) used to produce simple flat, U and L-shaped spacers of 15.5mm width

You can get away with 16mm spacers, to give an overall width over frames of 17 to 17.5mm and still have adequate clearance.

Average driving and carrying axle lengths for 21mm gauge seem to come out around 28 to 28.8mm. 28mm long pinpoint axles are already available from Ultrascale.

Very nice beast!

The wheel arrangement is what struck me the most, was it common for Irish tanks?

The 4-6-0T wasn't that widespread, and only the Bandon tanks readily spring to mind. There were some, I think, built for the narrow-gauge Londonderry & Lough Swilly, but that was about all.

If you want to have a go at building SSM kits, their website is here. Some very useful parts also if you are modelling the second half of the 20th century on Irish Rail.

You get the Correct spacers and wheel axles lads for the correct 21MM but time does not allow me that luxury just yet!!. There are a few niggles in the kit but nothing to untoward, SSM have put  lots of time and thought to getting this kit out to market!!

Oh the Titanic is still on the go, Must do another bit soon!!

G

George,

if that is Powerflow (or similar) plumbers flux you are using, I'd recommend getting rid of it and using a waterbased phosphoric flux instead. It's much easier to prevent corrosion (verdigris) forming on the model by washing in water after a soldering session and therefore needs much less cleaning up with a glass fibre brush.

Jol

George,

if that is Powerflow (or similar) plumbers flux you are using, I'd recommend getting rid of it and using a waterbased phosphoric flux instead. It's much easier to prevent corrosion (verdigris) forming on the model by washing in water after a soldering session and therefore needs much less cleaning up with a glass fibre brush.

Jol

Jol, Your Spot on it is plumbers flux, I've used it for a good while but now but will take on board your suggestion of waterbased flux. Any idea of where the best place is to order it from as there is not hope getting it where I live.

cheers

George

Hi George

Its good to see an Irish loco in the Kitbuilding section.

C&L Finsecale supply suitable fluxes and solders http://www.finescale.org.uk/.

I tend to avoid Phosphoric Acid flux these days and use an organic flux such as Carrs Red Label which cleans up easier and the fumes are less of an irritant.

Alternatively if you want to brew your own it should be possible to obtain the ingredients from the chemist or motor factor (isopropyl,distilled water, and phosphoric acid (rustproofer).

A 10-15% acid solution is normally recommended, the alccohol is a wetting agent.

Powerflow dissolves completely in boiling water. Just don't listen to to those who tell you different.

Bill,

I prefer to not boil my models. I have found that putting a kit assembled with phosphoric acid flux into the sink when I wash my hands after a working session does the trick. At least one professsional painter (and builder) won't take on commissions for models that have been assembled using Powerflow having experienced long term corrossion causing paint adhesion problems.

George,

Eileen's Emporium list it for mail order. https://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=124&Itemid=9

Jol

Hey Georgeconna,

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out - I have to admit that despite perusing these pages for a number of years yours is the first reference I have seen to Studio Scale Models, and I am very tempted, having spent all previous years building LMS kits from various suppliers.

Living just a few miles from the Bandon Rd Viaduct makes it all the more poignant!

Two pictures of this late 19th Century engineering feat for those of you that don't know it! It took the Bandon line from the streets of Cork City Centre to the south of the county.

post-4427-0-56965700-1358108921.jpg

post-4427-0-49221800-1358108947.jpg

Hey Georgeconna,

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out - I have to admit that despite perusing these pages for a number of years yours is the first reference I have seen to Studio Scale Models, and I am very tempted, having spent all previous years building LMS kits from various suppliers.

Living just a few miles from the Bandon Rd Viaduct makes it all the more poignant!

Two pictures of this late 19th Century engineering feat for those of you that don't know it! It took the Bandon line from the streets of Cork City Centre to the south of the county.

attachicon.gifViaduct.jpg

attachicon.gifViaduct 3.jpg

Thanks for the post, Pop into Marks Models in Olivier Plunkett Street, Cork City for a chat sometime as I work there at present. I had the loco on display there as there were a few folks that wanted to see it in the flesh.

I will have it back in the shop again once I get the motor in, paint on and decals on!!

Nice shots BTW.

Cheers

George

George,

Jol

Once again we are hearing that Powerflow is no good because it does not work like the "traditional" materials but the difference can best be summed up as being similar to the difference between D C and D C C in control systems. Both work but are in need of totally different handling in operation and installation.

There is no traditional acid content in Powerflow and chemically it works in a different way so we need to aproach it from a new perspective.

If you look at the side of the yellow can there is the statement that it can be cleaned up with a damp cloth, but I agree this may leave a film or residue on the work; perhaps this is acceptable on plumbing work; but not if you wish to end up with a painted finish acceptable to modellers. Alternatively look on the packaging on the Carrs Easy Clean Solder Paste and you will see that it is recommended that you clean up with I P A (isopropyl Alcohol), the base for this product is in fact a form of Powerflow and forms both the carrier medium in which the powdered solder is suspended and also the flux content.

I personally use only Powerflow and have used it on all temperature and type ranges of solder including 70 degree low melt on white metal to brass joints without the need to tin the brass first.

The secret is to clean up by disolving the residue, after making the joint, with some I P A which is applied normally with a cotton bud or small rag then just wipe the resulting mess off with a piece of kitchen towel. There is no need to use any neutraliser or dish cleaner or risk your skin with hot water or abrasive brushes just simply disolve and wipe off. Having said that I personally give the work piece a swim in the ultrasonic bath to encourage any stubborn hidden solids to give themeselves up, but I believe this is becoming more the norm before priming during the paint process anyway.   

post-5286-0-52177700-1358161675.jpg

This shows the atachment of sole bars to a coach underframe I was working on some time ago, the right hand chanel had been cleaned and desoldered before the left hand chanel was attached. If you look closely you can still see the residue from the soldering visible on this side at the bottom of the picture prior to cleaning.

post-5286-0-06320800-1358162021.jpg

This shows the same underframe some fourteen days later while I was fitting the running gear (the coach in question is a Donegal 6 wheel Cleminson in 7mm) note there is no sign of discoluration or contamination other than the natural patina the brass takes on over time.

I hope the foregoing will help to convince you that the Powerflow Flux is perfectly acceptable for our use and may persuade some to try it. it also has the added advantage that not only can you not  knock the bottle over and spill it but also will not corrode steel bits such as wheels and axles.

George,

My apologies for taking over your topic for this little rant, and just so I can draw a mental picture of the location of your shop, where is it in O. P. St. in relation to the only landmark I know there namely the Hi Bar?

Wally    

Wally,

Powerflow is a very effective flux and therein lies it's drawback for modelling. Unless all residues are thoroughly removed, it is more likely to give long term problems with continued reaction. As I pointed out, several professional builders and painters that I know will not use it nor take on a commission to paint a model where it has been used. Why?, because they don't want complaints months/years down the line where their paint job  "has not adhered properly".

Bill B advocated boiling the model to remove any residue. You use IPA and an ultrasonic cleaner before final painting. Not everyone wants to take Bill's approach or has access to a suitable cleaner.

I've tried Powerflow (and most of the other available) modelling fluxes over the years, but still find a phosphric acid liquid flux easier to apply and clean up afterwards. But then it's each unto his own.

Jol

Cheers lads for the input, interesting to hear the voice on both sides of the powerflux. I can't boil the model either as the low melt solder will basically melt again and a few bits will fall off!! I might give the IPA a go if I can get some locally.

The shop is down the bus station end of O. plunkett st., If your around do pop by. The Hi-b is certainly a good landmark though!!!!

cheers

George

Lovely model, George, and interesting to see how it goes together, as I hope to start on an SSM tank when I try my first loco.

Horsetan's post:

Souvenir Belfast T-shirt. The front reads:

"TITANIC. Built in Belfast."

On the rear is the following:

"She was alright when she left here."

Reminds me of the song about the man who stabbed his wife, then, in a fit of remorse, hanged himself using a bed sheet. The end of the story was that she recovered but he died:

"For the lousy blade was Carlow made

But the sheet was Belfast linen."

(I can't comment on fluxes.)

Alan

Archived