Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the obvious roof modification to do the 'aeroplane' version, how much other work does the Lima 42' van need to bring it up to scratch- The bogies definitely need swapping, as Lima modelled it on BR Mk1 bogies-  as I recall, someone suggested that the Bachmann LMS bogies are a fairly easy swap for these?

Just received a few of the new Bill Bedford 3D printed 42' uderframe and bogie kits, a one stop shop for making the Lima model something like.

I'm in the process of fitting the first one, which is proving to be pretty straightforward, although Bills instructions are not much help!

I'll keep you posted.

Mike.

Another SR Van

S1797 Man Vic 31 Jan 1981

post-1161-0-29174200-1357341968.jpg

It is Blue under the grime and had been to Crewe,Chester and Bristol recently

Nice wethering exercise ?

Edited by DerekEm8
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I hope there are some identifiable vehicles in these 60s pics

There was a regular early evening parcels train through Oxford which for a while was a Castle turn. This is 5063 in mid 1964

attachicon.gifsca006.jpg

IIRC this was the Shrewsbury - Paddington Parcels. Arrived at Snow Hill after the 1400 express to Paddington and left at 1505. Cabbed most of the remaining Castles on it around that time. After it went over to a 47 it was a favourite train for nicking the loco if a Class 1 failed, as it took all day to do the trip and spent a lot of time standing at Wolverhampton, Snow Hill, etc

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

Lima CCT needs new w irons as those moulded are accurate in what should be there but not necessarily the right size! ABS used to do a fine Whitemetal replacement, which I would assume is still current. Some floor chopping will be required to fit 14mm wheels, the model has always been fitted with 12mm or less.

New buffers would also be welcome. The body for its age holds up well, the roof can benefit from new vents again available from a few sources.

Can't recall if CCT should have window frames or not?

Abs also do some nice wma battery boxes and other gubbins.

Ian

ABS will have done all of the whitemetal castings for the Mopok CCT, so they should have all that is necessary available.

Paul Bartlett

Triang did a southern one with opening doors, dont know what it is or how highly it is thought of.

great thread so far chaps, must admit Im not well up on all the acronyms and Im sure others might be too.

dont think a TPO has been mentioned yet?

7081432793_62b44c56e1_c.jpg
73128 Manchester Exchange Stn. 28.4.68 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

someone did mention DMU car on the rear of a train, take a look here.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/8076533487/

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The ex-Tri-ang vehicle is the Gangwayed Bogie Luggage van. It still sells, and they recently offered it painted as per Churchill's Funeral Van. It captures the general feel of the vehicle, has opening doors which increase its play-value, but it has the wrong bogies etc. as might be expected after so many years in production. Someone - Roxey? - used to sell a kit for improving it. It is not to be confused with the recent Hornby Bogie B van (no gangways) which is a very good likeness and has sold accordingly.

These came up in a thread a while back- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49684-a-rarely-photographed-npcs-vehicle/

and this looks as if it might be the 'aeroplane van' version. http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/6404229321/in/set-72157626818480878

How about smaller 4-wheel stuff- Hornby announced the LNER fish van for 2013- didn't some of these end their days as parcels vans?. Sticking with a fishy theme, how about other fish vans- Roger Chivers does a plastic kit for an 6-wheel LMS fish van- did any of these find their way into parcels traffic?- and if so, how late did they last? 

There's also the LNER 'Pigeon van' in the Chivers range- again, presumably these saw service in general parcels traffic?

I don't know of any 6-wheel ex-LMS Fish vans in parcels use; the ones I remember were to be seen, into the early 1980s, painted in olive green and branded 'STORES VAN', carrying loco and DMMU spares from Crewe and Derby Works. I can imagine these, like their WR 'ENPARTS' counterparts, might be found in parcels trains on occasion.

I don't know of any 6-wheel ex-LMS Fish vans in parcels use; the ones I remember were to be seen, into the early 1980s, painted in olive green and branded 'STORES VAN', carrying loco and DMMU spares from Crewe and Derby Works. I can imagine these, like their WR 'ENPARTS' counterparts, might be found in parcels trains on occasion.

Brian,

I have recollections of these vans being specifically used (and marked as such) for transporting batteries to/from Crewe/Derby to main depots.

Edited by DerekEm8

The ex-Tri-ang vehicle is the Gangwayed Bogie Luggage van. It still sells, and they recently offered it painted as per Churchill's Funeral Van. It captures the general feel of the vehicle, has opening doors which increase its play-value, but it has the wrong bogies etc. as might be expected after so many years in production. Someone - Roxey? - used to sell a kit for improving it. It is not to be confused with the recent Hornby Bogie B van (no gangways) which is a very good likeness and has sold accordingly.

It is Roxey.  There is a kit for new bogies, footboards and undergubbins and a separate kit for replacement doors.  The prototype was very scarce after about 1960 and most of the last survivors were dedicated to pigeon traffic, apparently.

Chris 

Roger Chivers used to do a lot of etched brass kits for NPCS.  I've got several of the Southern ones including the bogie luggage and scenery vans, very nice they are too.  If you see any on Ebay grab them.

I understood that his son was looking at reintroducing some of the range at least. Could be worth checking the website 

Edited by MartinWales

I understood that his son was looking at reintroducing some of the range at least. Could be worth checking the website 

I'd looked for the link to Roger's son's (the one doing the etched kits)web-site, but it wasn't working last time I tried.

Regarding the SR Gangwayed Bogie Luggage Vans; these had been built on elderly ex-LSWR underframes to provide extra baggage space on the Boat Trains from Southampton. There was an article in a mid-60s MRC suggesting improvements; it would have been when Dibber25 of this parish was a lad, and Alan Williams, now of Modern Railways, was working there.

I have vivid memories of Churchill's funeral- it was my 10th birthday..

...It is Blue under the grime and had been to Crewe,Chester and Bristol recently. Nice weathering exercise ?

Also the degrading roof canvas going into wrinkles is very rarely modelled.

so out of the older RTR offerings, what would we say needs improving on them...

Add filth, covers a multitude of inaccuracies. The defining characteristic of stock regularly in this type of traffic was the coating of filth. Brake and track dust and any loco exhaust, liberally coating the whole thanks to the turbulence normal with fairly fast movement, and infrequent washing. The odd  clean vehicle added to such a set - perhaps temporarily like a blue and grey BR BG - really stood out, And the Southern design four wheel CCT's were typically the worst afflicted, windows exactly the same colour as the presumably painted body sides. And always some fine chalk scrawls, and not just names or stations, but numbers and more cryptic stuff like 'from here back' and various squiggles and symbols, perhaps the occasional stuck on label ripping to shreds. Finger art of the 'Killroy was here' type also. We didn't have aerosol spray paint, but if you didn't mind a dirty finger tip or three...

• Like 2

Used to see the Red Bank Parcel train empties most weekday lunchtimes in the early 80's and it was always a motley collection. Certainly ex LMS and SR coaches plus lots of GUVs and BG's. Afraid my spotting books are long lost so can't help with stock numbers I am afraid. Mind you often they were so dirty it was difficult to get the numbers. Love the Britannia shot which shows how little Victoria changed up till they built the MEN Arena.

• RMweb Premium

I have a lot of 1980s formations but here is a sort of list

Quite a few GUV/NKV

The odd BG (NAV/NDV)

Occasional SR bogie van

4 wheelers were mainly BR CCT, and a few SR CCT and PMV

Newspapers were a mix on gangway fitted GUVs BSK and occaionally a BG or Siphon G

65% BR GUV

15% BR BG

3% SR Bogie

2% LMS Bogie

9% BR CCT

6% SR PMV and CCT (end doors different)

Odds SPV (the van)

Siphon G

VERY rough percentages by memory

• RMweb Premium

ABS will have done all of the whitemetal castings for the Mopok CCT, so they should have all that is necessary available.

Paul Bartlett

The CCT axleguard castings and the small battery boxes were available from ABS last time I looked

I'd looked for the link to Roger's son's (the one doing the etched kits)web-site, but it wasn't working last time I tried.

The website appears to be working at the moment and can be found here

because im a bit thick and a slow learner, im going to ask that if I post a pic, could the first person who knows point out what  the vans are in the train and what company they are available from, product code may be a good idea too if known, especially for the livery. preferably 00 but whatever scale your most familiar with.

also, is there any sort of estimate on a date when crimson was last seen on any parcels stock, Im guessing it got a longer stay of execution than passenger stock?

heres a couple of nice images..

6952848393_16aee20ce7_c.jpg
R1369  LMS Parcels Van Leicester Central 18Apr1964 by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

6952852827_2e23d209eb_c.jpg
R1370  LNER Parcels Van Leicester Central 18Apr1964 by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

• Like 9