Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

3 photos here, taken around 1966 / 7. First 2 at Preston and last at Garstang. Can anyone tell what the tall van is headed north at Garstang ?. By the way thats me walking down the platform at Garstang, camera in hand - taken by my dad.

post-6884-0-44492300-1358873578.jpg

post-6884-0-41280100-1358873592.jpg

post-6884-0-10682400-1358873603.jpg

Brit15

• Like 11

I like that train of (relatively) uniform 12t Vanfits with a single ex-GWR CCT (ASMO or DAMO?) in it at Garstang. I hadn't realised they survived that long; I don't think I ever saw one.

Not at all certain, but I think it looks slightly like the shorter DAMO A, ASMO may have roof vents on the centre line and there is none here. At least one ASMO was in Perth in 1969 (unidentified) and one is conserved at Didcot. http://bit.ly/Xwr7xz  - although it doesn't appear to have roof vents, so perhaps the original diagram is misleading.

I do wonder if any of these made it as grounded bodies, they would have been useful tractor sheds! (the Mogos do appear to have been quite popular as garages).

Paul Bartlett

• Like 3

Hi All,

I think that there is or at least was a grounded ASMO body on a farm somewhere, I seem to remember seeing a photo. I agree with Paul that the big one is likely to be a DAMO or ASMO although at the acute angle, it may be very difficult the pin it down exactly. I would say ASMO if I was pressed but i will defer to Paul as the expert here. The one at Didcot was preserved in 1970 so at least No. 116954 survived that long. The vans in front also smell very MOGO too as T.S.E. says above. I am very familiar with 81E's version...

The good news is that DAMOs and ASMOs are easily built from the Parkside Dundas PYTHON kit - see the link to Little Didcot below!

All the best,

Castle

some more, whats nice with modelling a parcels train is that you can have vehicles from other regions.

6935367638_63dddce4ec_z.jpg
48380 Manchester Victoria Stn. 28.4.68 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

7307816136_27b6638e23_z.jpg
D7045 Salisbury 14.8.66 - 01 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

7307685816_3d82009de1_z.jpg
D5647 Hadley Wood 21.10.66 - 01 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

7307701460_5a8f38a184_z.jpg
31xxx Reading Stn. 8.76 - 23 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

7307698974_0a8dcd394a_z.jpg
5826 Didcot Stn. 3.72 - 19 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

7307714108_1a564870b0_z.jpg
31xxx York Clifton 4.79 - 43 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

7307737114_1b626911f5_z.jpg
31xxx York Stn. 5.84 - 78 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

dont all have to be long.

7307741092_ce58b25d1c_z.jpg
31315/31xxx York Copmanthorpe 8.84 - 83 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

• Like 7

Regarding  Colours.

The  Isle  of  Wight  Steam  Raliway  bought  10  SR  PMVs   straight  out  of  BR  parcel  service  around  1980.

2  of  these  were  fairly  presentable  in  BR  blue  presumably  not  long  having  been  repainted.

The  remainder  were  a  very  dirty  brown  with  the  odd  recently  repainted  blue  plank / door  etc  where  repairs  had  been  carried  out.

Some  had  had  newer  numbers / lettering  stuck  on  over  the  dirt  when  the  originals  had  become  illegible

Under  the  dirt  one  of  these  vans  was  later  found  to  be  actually  still  in  green,  the  others  were  all  blue.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Under  the  dirt  one  of  these  vans  was  later  found  to  be  actually  still  in  green,  the  others  were  all  blue.

Pete

Can you recall the colour of the ends? Green or black?

David

Pretty  sure  the  green  one had  black  ends  except  for  blue  patch  painted  repaired  areas,

I  think  the others  had  been  all-over   blue.

The  vehicle  was  totally  plastered  in  brake  dust  and  grime,  looked  just  the  same  as  the  others,  ie  dirty  brown  with  blue  painted  patch  repairs 

As  noted  in  an  earlier  post  windows  looked  no  different  to  the  rest  of  the  sides,  certainly  very  little  light  through  them.

The  colour  was  only  found  when  the  body  was  being  removed  and  it  was  realised  that  blue  hadnt  been  carried.

The  others  were  clearly  in  blue  under  the  dirt  with  the  only  traces  of  BR  green,  red  and  SR  green  paint  apparant  where  the  surface  was  damaged  or  around  door  edges  etc. 

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Michael's excellent photos are very evocative of the 1970s parcels traffic that I remember so fondly and trying to replicate in 4mm.

I particularly liked the 31 and Siphon Gs at Reading- a newspapers service to from South Wales that I remember well, was Hymek hauled just a few years earlier.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I particularly liked the 31 and Siphon Gs at Reading- a newspapers service to from South Wales that I remember well, was Hymek hauled just a few years earlier.

Neil

If that was 4B05, I've got some pictures of D7016 on this train at Reading in 1973, which incidentally this site/computer won't let me post, it was a long train with a motley selection of NPCCS.

Mike.

There doesn't seem to have been any mention of N Gauge models so far.  Recent developments mean that a wide variety of parcels stock is, or is going to be, available.

From Farish we have the BR Mark 1 BG, BR Mark 1 CCT and BR Mark 1 GUV and forthcoming LMS BG.

From the N Gauge society there is the LNER BG kit, RTR LMS Stove, and forthcoming RTR GWR Collett BG.

From Dapol there is the GWR outside frame Siphon G, Siphon H and Southern CCT, with the GWR Fruit D to come soon.

From the Lima there was the GWR inside frame siphon G - OK if you add Dapol bogies.

From Chivers Finelines there is (or was) the LNER extra long CCT, Southern CCT, Southern PMV and GWR Python.

Douglas

• Like 2

some more, whats nice with modelling a parcels train is that you can have vehicles from other regions.

It looks like being such ramshackle rakes we can go out & buy them in ones & two's at car boots, ebay etc because none of them ever match & they don't look as if they were ever new

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There doesn't seem to have been any mention of N Gauge models so far.  Recent developments mean that a wide variety of parcels stock is, or is going to be, available.

From Farish we have the BR Mark 1 BG, BR Mark 1 CCT and BR Mark 1 GUV and forthcoming LMS BG.

From the N Gauge society there is the LNER BG kit, RTR LMS Stove, and forthcoming RTR GWR Collett BG.

From Dapol there is the GWR outside frame Siphon G, Siphon H and Southern CCT, with the GWR Fruit D to come soon.

From the Lima there was the GWR inside frame siphon G - OK if you add Dapol bogies.

From Chivers Finelines there is (or was) the LNER extra long CCT, Southern CCT, Southern PMV and GWR Python.

Douglas

Don't forget that there is a selection of parcels stock in the Etched Pixels/Ultima range as well:

http://www.etchedpixels.co.uk/

Chris Higgs is due to release some etched underframes which will cover a number of the Dapol and Lima items. These will probably be available via The 2mm Scale Association but I don't think that a final decision has been made yet.

David

Edited by DavidLong

• RMweb Premium

Pretty  sure  the  green  one had  black  ends  except  for  blue  patch  painted  repaired  areas,

I  think  the others  had  been  all-over   blue.

The  vehicle  was  totally  plastered  in  brake  dust  and  grime,  looked  just  the  same  as  the  others,  ie  dirty  brown  with  blue  painted  patch  repairs 

As  noted  in  an  earlier  post  windows  looked  no  different  to  the  rest  of  the  sides,  certainly  very  little  light  through  them.

The  colour  was  only  found  when  the  body  was  being  removed  and  it  was  realised  that  blue  hadnt  been  carried.

The  others  were  clearly  in  blue  under  the  dirt  with  the  only  traces  of  BR  green,  red  and  SR  green  paint  apparant  where  the  surface  was  damaged  or  around  door  edges  etc. 

Pete

Thanks, Pete, that seems to confirm information that I'd had previously that, certainly in B.R. days, the ends were painted black.

David