DCC Bus over Baseboard joints + more wiring over joints

Trainmaster!!

Hi,

I'm in the process of building Dane Cliff and have a slight problem with the DCC bus. I need it to travel of the joints of the baseboards - please see picture below:

post-11553-0-66220500-1352141817_thumb.jpg

I need some kind of plug and socket for the wires. I plan to have one for the DCC bus, One for point motors and another for lighting. The wiring for all of this is basically sorted but getting the wires over the joints isn't. Would someone please be able to give me some advice on this - and if possible be able to tell me where I might be able to purchase the parts needed.

I've seen Pluggable connector blocks (can't purchase them anywhere near me or find a reasonable price online)

and I've seen 25 Pin D connectors which look the best but expensive and also only come in Male or Female, not both....?

If you can help or have any advice then I would be very grateful if you would share this with me.

Thanks,

Jorge

D connectors are only rated at about 1 amp so won't be enough for most DCC layouts, or for solenoid point motors, unless several pins are wired in parallel.  I use 5A pluggable choc blocks for DCC and point motors, though this is for a semi-permanent layout.  For a portable I think the wires might work loose in their terminals, and there is also the risk of plugging the chocblock in one pin too far over. 

Remember not to use single core wire for flying leads, as the core is likely to snap if the wire is flexed too much. 

For cross baseboard plugs I used pairs of 4mm single pole banana plugs and sockets available from Maplins.  The male pins are slightly tapered and when fitted in the socket provide a tight, positive joint – no chance of loose connections as sometimes happens with double or multi-pin plugs.  Also, I have found that when soldering wires to multi-pin plugs that you have to be very careful not to apply too much heat or you can crack the insulation between pins.  I found that out by expensive experience!

Since converting to DCC four years ago, I have had no electrical problems with the track bus or any other connections.

• RMweb Gold

D connectors are only rated at about 1 amp so won't be enough for most DCC layouts, or for solenoid point motors, unless several pins are wired in parallel

D connectors are not rated at 1 amp per pin, this is a common misconception. look at the data sheet for any D connector and it will show a much higher rating.

http://cpc.farnell.com/harting/09-67-225-4704/socket-d-t-d-25way/dp/CN15236?in_merch=Products was the first one I found at random and shows 4amps DC per pin, the Maplin ones are listed as 5amps. 7.5amps http://www.maplin.co.uk/d-sub-connectors-1113

Andi

• RMweb Premium

For the DCC bus, I use a mains type connector similar to that above, but a 3-pin version (only 2 pins used) so that it can't be reversed. I bought mine from a local electrical wholesaler at prices cheaper than Maplins

For other smaller current connections, you'll need multi-pin connectors. D series are good for this, but you'll need decent soldering skills to connect them. Prices of D-series connectors varies greatly depending upon the quality.

You usually need a male and female connector as one connects to the other. The plug is usually the male half and socket is the female.

If you only need a few wires between each board, then DIN connectors can be cost effective - usually available up to 7 pin.

Cheers,

Mick

Over here, Cinch-Jones type connectors are used for Ntrak modules, and that's what I am using.  They are available up to something like 24 pin, and can handle at least 5 amps.  That's what I am using for the connections on Long Marton, which although it is a home layout, is built to be portable.

James

Not seen any current ratings for DIN type plugs as some older hand held controllers used to specify these as ideal for plugging in to the control pannel. 

There are multi way plugs up to 9 on various sites.  As ever if you are unsure my trick is to double up and have say 2 pins for each feed on the bus.

Hi!

I used Maplins JG04 (race pack lead male) and JG05 (race pack lead female) to bridge the joins on my portable layout with great success. Where two or more jumpers were required for points/signal control as well the DCC bus wires, I arranged them so that the end of a board was set up Male, Female, Male, Female etc with a suitable gap between each so as to avoid the possibility of crossed wires and labelled each on the end of the boards to identify which went to which. They are very suitable for DCC bus wiring and are quite strong too.

Cheers Graeme  

I use PC "Molek" connectors - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90cm-4-pin-MolexPower-Extension-Cable-Black-Sleeved-Extra-Tidy-/190694199481?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2c664290b9 this one is 90cm which should be enough but other lengths (including 72 inch!) are available from the same supplier.

They have four wires and by cutting "extensions" in half you  get male and female ends in one.  I then use terminal blocks to put the wires into - red and yellow for the DCC bus and the two black ones for the points power (these can sometimes have a black with white stripe as well as plain black, so you can keep them the same way round if you want).  Easy to wire up, easy to leave dangling, easy to connect and split where necessary.

They're the type used inside a PC for hard drive and CD drive power usually so if you have access to old PC cases you might be able to find a few there too.

I have used this supplier happily before but have no other connection.  Others are available etc.

Thanks for the all the info!

Lots of different ways of doing it I see, I had seen the larger mains type connectors at a wholesaler I visited on my travels and they were quite cheap, but I thought they'd be too big for my small wires. I plan to use small wires but many of them together. You've all given me plenty of things to think about and I think I'll look at Mick's solution(s) with the larger connection for the DCC bus as my soldering skills aren't amazing (I'm being kind to myself!) and I'll either use the same or a slightly smaller version for the DC points bus and lights (I'll look at the DIN connectors or Banana type ones) and then for the points control I'll probably have to use a larger connector with man pins - although I've planned the layout so most of the point work is on the board closest to my fiddle yard (where the controllers will be.

I'll go off to the wholesaler tomorrow, If any one has any more Ideas then please add them - especially on the point controlling wires (I actually don't know how many wires seep motors need per motor other than the power bus (Points under DC power)

Anyhow - Thanks to all who replied, you've all been a great help    :D

For the DCC bus and accessory power bus I use 4-pole Speakon connectors. They are very cheap, will take 4-way 2.5mm speaker wire for neat and flexible baseboard interconnections and are good for 40A and incredibly tough, you cannot go wrong with Speakon for your main power requirements and it will be less than £10 per baseboard join.

As for the rest the current requirement is not so high and 'D' connectors should be OK, but for solenoids you will be best advised to double up the connections to minimise power loss.

I have had to troubleshoot a layout that used 'D' connectors for points wiring, and never did get to the root of the mystery of the missing pins in some of the plugs, but I am sure that they must have just melted off due to a combination of poor connection and high current (more than one motor on each circuit!). If using 'D' connectors wire each solenoid separately and use a retaining system to ensure the plugs are fully mated when in use.

Just don't even think about using mains connectors for low voltage applications. They are not ideally suited and something very bad indeed will happen when they inevitably get connected to the mains.

Hi Jorge

Have a look at these i use them on my dcc layout they are 8 pin so 4 districts can be run though them you can get them from maplins and aslo many music shops

there called bulgin plug and sockets  

post-4624-0-91232200-1357496877.jpg

http://www.maplin.co.uk/px0552-panel-mount-female-circular-connector-1387

http://www.maplin.co.uk/px0551-flex-mount-male-circular-connector-1386

JOHN

Hi Jorge,

You may want to have a look at Pluggable Terminal Strip. They are sold in Male / Female versions and can take 5A so are fine for the DCC Bus and other applications you list. You buy them in 12-way but you can easily chop them down with a sharp blade like any other terminal strip. I'm in the progress of building a modular exhibition layout, so it needs to be put up and taken down quickly and these connectors work brilliantly.

They are very cheap if you know where to look, if you can buy online then my advice would be to use Farnell as they have free next day delivery. Look for these:

Male - http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=7875070
Femail - http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=7875061

Here's a picture of the inter-board connection.
post-11575-0-38812300-1357550855_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• RMweb Premium

I use stereo audio plugs on my n gauge layout. They seem to handle everything fine.

There are a couple of things you need to watch out for if using audio plugs. The plugs & sockets themselves are OK but don't use ready made audio cables. They're designed for low current applications and you may have problems with the higher currents you may see on your layout. Buy the connectors loose and wire them yourself with something a bit more capable.

Also, you need to be carefull that the power to the layout is OFF before connecting them. Standard stereo jack connectors can cause a short when you plug them in. Something like a DIN or Phono connector is better as there's less chance of creating a short by plugging them in with the track power on.

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

Archived