Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

I seem to recall tales of the Penicuik branch and sneaking into Gala shed to cop the Streak that was stored within, from an ex's dad.  Not one of mine, I stress.  (But the poster concerned is about five above).

The Baby Trains angle always ends up a bit of an ice-breaker at work, especially if you get your eBay or Hattons harvests delivered there. 

After a couple of brown paper packages tied up with string, it doesn't take long for the Project Director's PA to ask 'Are these parcels a few of your favourite things?" 

Next come the tales of visits to distant uncles, of always wanting to have a go on a layout of their youth (many a good tune played on an old Hammant & Morgan), and to these waifs one's the sensitive, reflective type....

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

My wife actually got me back into the hobby. I used to visit her house where her dad left Model Rail magazines lieing around which were promptly devoured and then I slowly got back into the hobby.

It has taken me until fairly recently to get my confidence together to tell my work colleagues about my hobby. I always thought there would be a stigma attached to the hobby but they were keen to know more and impressed by my own models.

• Like 2

In my experience, anyone who has a hobby/passion for something/anything is going to be more interesting company than a person with no interests.

I absolutely agree and would never make fun of anyone's interests. It is often due to people having really obscure interests that keeps the knowlege alive. My wife knew virtually from the start that I was interested in railways both full-size and model and would accompany me to many a model railway exhibition, appreciating the skill involved.  She was also very useful for holding my camera equipment on our regular trips to Barry scrapyard:

post-632-0-57087300-1357650018_thumb.jpg

Bryonie at Barry 1979

Edited by Steve Williams
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I absolutely agree and would never make fun of anyone's interests. It is often due to people having really obscure interests that keeps the knowlege alive. My wife knew virtually from the start that I was interested in railways both full-size and model and would accompany me to many a model railway exhibition, appreciating the skill involved.  She was also very useful for holding my camera equipment on our regular trips to Barry scrapyard:

attachicon.gifBryonie at Barry Scrapyard (April-May 1979).jpg

Bryonie at Barry 1979

But then asking her "can you help with my tripod" does have a certain connotation about it.   Oooooh matron

Fnarr Fnarr

• Like 5

wow, you guys are brave. I think I'd suggest my hobby was machine gunning cute and cuddly puppies before I mention the trains...

a former girlfriend did accompany me to the Toton open day, but I'd had enough time to brainwash her before..

• Like 2

My first date

Took the young lady on a trip to the East Lanks Railway, in my 1970 Avenger, after 7 miles on the road I pulled the cars gear lever right out. She panicked a bit, but out came the spanners and we were soon on our way. It was a great day, and I remember it well, 40145 was superb!.

Second date,.......With the same girl, I had been messing with full sized trains during the day, and had a large chunk of a class 40 to get to the Midlands. I discovered that, if I took the front seat out of the Avenger, it would fit in the passenger foot well. So that evening I picked her up, and she immediately headed for the passenger door, and opened it to find a largo rusty lump of a steam heat boiler.

After that, introducing her to the toy train part of the hobby was plain sailing,

Gary

• Like 10

I cannot remember the answer to the question, but Julie has been remarkably helpful about recording the real railway part of the hobby http://bit.ly/RaIuWJ  .

She used to most enjoy the hobby when there were small yards to be visited, in interesting towns and we saw a lot of the country that way.She measured a lot of wagons before the family came along. However, she dislikes dirty smelly little locomotives (Evening Star is OK!) and has never got on with model exhibitions, but more importantly nor with the condescending members of our fraternity whom seem to think she is some sort of secretary when she answers the phone or even meets them.

Paul Bartlett

I forgot to add that when she is in a foul mood she reminds me of the MTK Class 45 kit that was bought by her (at considerable cost for a student used to live on flavoured milk) that remains in bits!

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I didn't tell the current Mrs gwrrob at first because I was too busy laughing after she told me she was a fan of Rick Astley.So we both had skeletons in the closet. :no: 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I didn't tell the current Mrs gwrrob at first because I was too busy laughing after she told me she was a fan of Rick Astley.So we both had skeletons in the closet. :no:

And she was never gonna give him up, let him down, run around or desert him...................

Coat...

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I truely can't recall the moment, as it was over 31 years ago....but the fact we met through my other hobby, motorcycles, and I can fix them and many other things (dab hand at IKEA flatpacks!)helped a lot I'm sure.  Deb is very tolerant, and I don't mind her hobby of charging about the countryside on 0-4-0 hayburners either, although I have no interest in them.

She has standards about trains though - nothing with 'stupid little wheels' or 'long spindly chimneys' is allowed, and her all time favourites are without doubt Spam Cans.  Not sure how I'm going to justify 'City of Wells' on a north-eastern layout, but I did work for 35020 'Bibby Line' in my first career so I need one of those too!

I think I'm very lucky to have her as my wife of almost 29 years. :heart_mini:

• Like 3