Great Gathering A4 Collection

G-BOAF

• 2 months later...

Text toady from Hornby informing me of a delivery (strange, I hadn't ordered or pre-ordered anything). UKMail knocked on my door tonight with a large box.... had Hornby mis-delivered a trainset to me? Quick read of the words 'picture pride' on the shipping label and all become clear. Quite an impressive item.One of the most exciting box openings of recent times, mainly the surprise of it appearing out of the blue, although I should have guessed as my Vouchers were returned to me (in the stamped envelope I supplied for purpose) last week.

Time to get the locos cased up, maybe over the weekend work permitting!

• RMweb Gold

Text toady from Hornby informing me of a delivery (strange, I hadn't ordered or pre-ordered anything). UKMail knocked on my door tonight with a large box.... had Hornby mid-delivered a trainset to me. Quick read of the words 'picture pride' on the shipping label and all become clear. Quite an impressive item.One of the most exciting box openings of recent times, mainly the surprise of it appearing out of the blue, although I should have guessed as my Vouchers were returned to me (in the stamped envelope I supplied for purpose) last week.

Time to get the locos cased up, maybe over the weekend work permitting!

I hope you enjoy your Picture Pride display cabinets as much as I have enjoyed mine.....first purchased at Warley Show in 1998.I remember driving to collect mine from their place at Oldbury.I know you've had to wait a long time for yours.

I am surprised this thread Is still running I have been away for a while and the over a year. I have still not bought any Great Gathering or Great Goodbye A4s but I have cracked on with making up my own. I have just nearly finished my Mallard In NRM condition. Its my first attempt at re-wheeling. I used Ultrascale.

Hope you don't mind me sharing but I posted some photos of them way back before the mods where complete.

Cheers Rob ;)

8579D4AE-7043-4322-ADEB-FA7F057B5D9B_zps

D9551D67-9785-423F-9ED2-BBBD062AF904_zps

A4DED893-5A2B-49F6-80AE-E8BA21FB1859_zps

58E68231-75DC-455F-8CF1-E52F64BA966E_zps

89C85C0B-D301-4A07-BDC3-68C09A16A4C4_zps

927D6187-E8A8-4E42-A973-E9CABED63514_zps

I am happy I did this as I cant believe people are spending £999.99 on a loco that was only a few years ago around £60, Even if they are limited.

Rob ;)

• RMweb Premium

I think it is really rather tragic that the Great Gathering set coincided with the nadir of Hornby supply problems  and troubles with their supply chain and some suspect quality which has over shadowed what should have been a very special release.

Yea it's was good to see they did something. But such a shame they have become such an exclusive limited run for models that have a much much bigger appeal and a national treasure that many many families would love to own. Especially as Hornby is a global company. The A4s having a global appeal.

I am surprised they did not do a legends version of all 6 A4s as a more general release. Being railroad models with super detail paint jobs they would have gone down a treat and still would (hint hint Hornby ;) ) if they decided to do such a thing.

A model of Bittern as DONZ would be very welcome for modern image too :)

I have seen the super-detail Mallard pre-plug version on Ebay where it sat for a couple of weeks unsold at £108 with two teak super-detail Gresleys thrown in, and they can be £40 ea., so the do-it-yourself way is certainly viable.  (yes I bought the Mallard + coaches  :)

I guess collectors like the idea of a 'set' as produced, etc.

Golden Age do them......not cheap

Haha they do do they !, I try and avoid looking at their stuff as I could be in danger of drooling on my lotto ticket and spoiling my chances of winning.

You have got me wondering if there is a kit or drawings available I would happily make a kit or scratch build one.

Be a lot more satisfying in the end too.

Cheers Rob :)

• 2 years later...

I was at Exporail, the home of DoC, today and took these pictures.  They might be of use to modellers:

36651246086_d7da52f9ec_z.jpgP1010006 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36697105545_e4af2ed4ef_z.jpgP1010015 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36651242926_91303a3764_z.jpgP1010008 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36651245556_0a044da7c2_z.jpgP1010009 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36697106915_b72324bea1_z.jpgP1010011 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36697107305_12fdeaf79f_z.jpgP1010010 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36697105035_2c9cb147df_z.jpgP1010017 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36651243396_08df1c7cd4_z.jpgP1010016 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36697103335_54e805e0fa_z.jpgP1010018 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36697106225_5fb7cb6929_z.jpgP1010013 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36651244576_efec632942_z.jpgP1010012 by John Kendall, on Flickr

Just to finish off, this is in the lobby:

36651938196_04488fb126_z.jpgP1010039 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36302692060_72ed18a6dc_z.jpgP1010040 by John Kendall, on Flickr

I'll throw in a plug for the museum, it is really well done and worth a visit.

http://exporail.org/en/welcome-to-exporail/

HTH

John

• 4 months later...

Can you tell me why the green coloured engine has the valance cut out by the front bogie and the blue does not

They had part of the valences removed during the Second World War for ease of maintenance. It was never replaced whilst in service, but three of them have since had it replaced whilst in preservation.

Jason

The blue engine represents the A4s as built in the 1935-38 period.During the War the valances over the wheels were removed to make it easier to work on the valve gear and were never put back.So the green loco is in B Regards livery with the cut away valances and that's how I remember them

Seems an awful lot of money for these models. Does anyone remember the Ralph Wedgewood set of three from about 20 years ago cost me about £300 not really worth it in hindsight. I suppose each to their own but not for me.

I thought they all sold out about three years ago?

So any about are now a genuine collectable.

Jason

Thank you for your replies. I have bought one of the green Hornby ones with the dcc chip fitted.

Last time I started a layout (got into 00) I went at it like a bull at a gate with no direction. So this time I am concentrating on LNER and in the Br green livery.

I only intend making a small end to end layout for the winter months.

Brian

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since something's been added to this thread!  I just recently picked up the most recent release of Hornby's 'Mallard' in as-preserved liver code R3676.  Lots of work has already gone into her and lots more work is needing to be done!  I plan on purchasing and Easichas kit from Brassmasters sometime soon and a Locoman sound decoder.  She's had her wheels repainted, the main rod/crosshead swapped out from a Bachmann A1, handrails and lamp irons paint, gold bits of detailing painted for the whistle, main steam pipe, and pony axle box, and the buffers and valve gear were all painted to match in silver.  The factory-supplied drain cocks are going to be replaced soon for scratch-built ones from copper wire soon!  A few photos SHOULD be attached; but if not, I will add some later.

Looks lovely. Such a better starting point than the hash up that was the Great Gathering/Goodbye sets. I regret purchasing most of them (except for DoC and Bittern)

My only major concern about the recent A4s is the cab roof; tool wear/damage/poor repair means that there are depressions just inboard of the rear edge of the rain strips (not the the blue/black paint interface is not straight towards the rear.) Also on the right hand side the cab roof thickens such that the rain strip almost disappears (along with a similar depression as on the LHS). It is inexcusable that Hornby have not rectified this - the problem emerged towards the end of Sanda Kan manufacturing (I purchased and returned a 2011 R2339 with that problem) and has not been adressed.

I have actually written to Hornby/raised at shows, but to no avail it seems...

I've just now noticed the rain strip.  Intriguing!  Honestly, it doesn't really bother me at all ;) I would have purchased ultrascale wheels if it weren't for the price tag.  MUCH too expensive for my taste!  I'm mainly purchasing the easichas kit for the front bogie area.  Hornby's front bogie is atrocious!  Replacing the valve gear was rather simple thanks to her being valanced.  Once I had spotted the repositioning of the top lamp iron on the new model, I set out to find one at a decent price.  I found mine on eBay (in the states where I live) for £105!  She was being sold as-is for spares/repair because she ran with a wobble due to the lubricator rod being bent.  This was easily straightened out and she runs like a charm now!  I plan on purchasing the BR blue 'Mallard' that Hornby is coming out with this year and renumbering/renaming her to 'Sir Nigel Gresley', as I'm sure a number of others are doing as well...  and I'm still wondering whether or not to gloss varnish her...  My goal is to finish her to 1986/87/early '88 condition, and I would like to make a support coach for her.  Problem is I haven't been able to find any info on this when researching it.  I'm also trying to find a lead for the "Mallard '88" headboard and fundraising plaque.  Any help would be appreciated!

21534895846_a90a369e13_b.jpg

2012-12-17.LNER-Class-A4-4468-Mallard-Train.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Bachmann made a ltd Ed model of the NRM Support Coach a few years ago. Hornby also made one with their Flying Scotsman special edition from Locomotion Models. 

It should be noted that the 'Support Coach' that Mallard ran with in 1986-88 was the 'Friends of the National Railway Museum' support coach (with apprpriate branding) and not the current 'National Railway Museum' Coach. I don't have any details of the FNRM support coach, other than it was used as an education facility in the south yard but has recently been disposed of. I'm not sure where it went, and as a result can't find it on the database!

The current NRM support coach (as modelled by Bachmann and Hornby) was preserved in 1990, after Mallard retired. Technically the Bachmann model is now historic as the coach is was dual braked to run with Flying Scotsman after its most recent overhaul, with appropriate adjustments to lettering :-p

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1922

Archived