LNER GRAIN WAGON

DOCJACOB

Comments noted and as replying Excuse 1 is null and void, Excuse 2 dont like Cornflakes, Excuse 3 Been taking Daughter to Leeds University where she has enrolled to do Geology (I persuaded her Medicine is for "numpties" and thus Geology is a better career move for her) I should have hired HGV and then would have needed to do less journies!

I did get down very briefly early one AM and was caught by one of the "jobs worth brigade" standing on a chair to do some painting. I then received the "perceived wisdom" of not working above 6ft. I was tempted to argue but life is too short and my blood pressure currently under good control!

The mentioned book is on my Xmas list and the same website has some craking images at Cameronbridge in the Railways of Scotland section.

I feel suitably "chided" and will endeavour to work and post images!

Best wishes and those signals and ground frames are coming on a treat, but a CR frame to work NBR signals?

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

Seemed to spend hours doing what appeared to be very little. Firstly the roof has had its second coat of white and I would have posted an image but it seems to have attracted the whole fly population of Lincolnshire this AM.

Todays minor problem is bolts that cant be shortened in situ using an angle grinder or a hacksaw. Solution obviously remove and shorten?

Firstly I would thank whoever put bolts in originally; we firstly loosened (fairly difficult due to limited access) the nut, until the coach bolt spun in the hole, bashed it back into the van, hacksawed the head off and finally removing the left over thread. Then measured a new bolt to size, took it out again, shortened with hacksaw then re inserted and replaced nut and washer before tightening up 

Total time over 1 hour! There are 4 to do and my patience was wearing thin after the second.

Also found today 3 additional bolt holes that needed drilling and the reason they had been left was they extended into the hopper frame and helped hold the body to the frame. I also took the time to insert some screws that were missing. The hold the angle iron to the planks. I did 2 corners and the end total 40.  

Whole days work and you would do well to spot it in passing!  

post-16796-0-04856600-1380995279_thumb.jpg

post-16796-0-70772200-1380995292_thumb.jpg

post-16796-0-25095700-1380995322_thumb.jpg

post-16796-0-66206300-1380995335_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Basically more of the same. It was a little easier as this time I remembered my "mole gripper" and after loosening the bolt and driving it back I got the mole gripper" to hold the end. I little easier than before but still a slow job. 

I did have a stoke of luck though as needed a couple of handles to go on the roof in line with the steps at the end. I guessed these had been lost and till now I had no idea how to solve the problem as the 2 others don"t have them anymore. Inside the wagon (see earlier interior post) we have a load of planks to level out the hopper and while replacing the bolts one of the planks had to be lifted. Lo and behold one handle! Stuck my head into the hopper void and spotted the other. 

post-16796-0-78961900-1382201292.jpg

post-16796-0-63879900-1382201425_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the comment, I sort of drifted into "wagons" and yes I look at the siding and sometimes feel sad. Realistically I recon I'll save 2 grain wagons out of the 3 and on the +ve side its better than none!

Hope to get cracking on the roof and then god knows which one. I have a few ideas for quick fixes and at least they would be presentable to the public and not some escapees from a scrap yard!

By the way signals look great, we have a few GNR Somersaults at Ludborough and they look good to, though one has been placed incorrectly I think (I'll send an image)

I also put a link to your work on the North British Railway Study Group Forum for you

Docjacob,

Many thanks for you comments about the signals at the LWR. They do look the business. As regards to your comment "one has been placed incorrectly". The signal in question is LU13 Up Starter. This IS in the correct position as this protects the ground frame at the south end of the station which youve used a lot. We have planted it before the PWAY has been altered due to the fact that we were under the impression that we would be running trains down there within a few months. So it was necessary to install it. However as you well know things didnt go according to plan (as usual). Dont forget that when this is passed for use the track next to it WONT be there!!!! 

Kindest regards

JIM Tyers

LWR S&T DIRECTOR

DOCJACOB

I agree with you on the signals position, could this be one of the rare occasions where the S&T department get there bit done before the Permenent way department alter the trackwork?, as it stands anybody puting there head out of a window on the road to the left of the signal would be at risk of getting slapped in the coupon with a signal arm. The promenent signal No,track circuit diamond and ladder hoop are all comprimises Health & Safety legislation ect, at least with my NBR signals there is no ladder to put a hoop on.

Hello Lochty no more,

In regards to the above, the signal IS in the correct position to do its job to protect the ground frame points to the south of the station. Its the Up starter (yet to be commisioned) and was installed at the time when the PWAY were'nt far off remodelling the south end of Ludborough station. As yet I'm still waiting for them to get a move on so yes its the S&T dept. getting ahead of the Pway (not a rarity on our railway!!!!!) There's no issue with anyone putting their heads out of windows and hitting it as the line to the left of it is a siding and will shortly be removed. Once this has happened the arm will then be installed. The Track circuit diamond and signal no. are zero to do with HSE etc. The diamond is a reminder to the driver that he doesnt need to contact the signalman for 5 mins as he's stood on a track circuit and signalman knows he's there (rule 55). (sorry if you already knew this lol) Again like wise with the id plate. Its purely to advise the driver which signal he's stood at so that he can advise the signalman.

The hoop on the other hand is down to the dreaded HSE as its above 6' etc .........

Kindest regards

Jim Tyers

LWR S&T DIRECTOR

• Like 1

Firstly she has moved and is now adjacent to the previously discussed signal. This is a bonus as I can get electrical power using one extension cable only though the downside is I have to be very careful walking round as the operating wire for the signal is in place and will trip up the unwary! 

Yet more bolts to shorten and screws to insert, it seems never-ending. To top it off last week I broke one bit and blunted another as some of the unfilled holes need drilling through both the wooden side and the hopper frame.

I then decided to look at another job, as you see the brake lever guide/support has received a hefty clout at some time. I considered a track jack and brute force to bend it back but that didn't really sound 100% sensible or safe I took a trip to the sidings and "robbed Peter to pay Paul" so to say. Initially warmed it, then sawed nuts off at the back and then gave it a really good clout, and off it sprung.  Brake lever secured and "prize" taken back for cleaning up and possibly installing next week. Took over 2 1/2 hours! as the sawing was fiddly to put it mildly. 

Heard in passing all 3 may/could be reunited soon so guess this thread (and my work) has a long way to go!

post-16796-0-32366100-1383403677.jpg

post-16796-0-88751400-1383403700.jpg

post-16796-0-83577800-1383403708.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Firstly apologies to any followers but had a bit of a "mare" recently and spent much time sorting out an area of wet rot in the kitchen. This weekend would also have been a write off but ended up at Leeds University collecting my daughter on Friday rather than Saturday so time to play!

Quite a lot appears to have happened especially as she has moved back to the West siding and in the process has got coupled to another wagon . This was one I didn't recognise, but not that surprising as appears to have arrived from Rother Valley Railway and is the unique LNER DE 549931 25t Ballast Hopper.

Basically did a few tidying up jobs, put some more screws in, shortened some bolts, tried to paint some small areas, noticed I'd missed some paint areas/bits earlier in the year, oiled round including the axle boxes again and not much more, by about 1:30 it was getting really cold so packed away.

Seasons Greetings to all  

post-16796-0-81170700-1387049018.jpg

post-16796-0-41547000-1387049034.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Finally managed a few hours at Ludborough today and an interesting selection of jobs. There is  a large shunt pending tomorrow so a few jobs needed done on the wagons:

The donor grain wagon deeded my temporary botch job on the brakes sorted. Found a load of appropriate sized boats (mean bolts) on stores van so made sure they are with the other spares now. 

The Sturgeon needed oiling as it was due to give up its load of rail and sleepers. Didn't really look forward to that job but after the first one it was a breeze, a really cute bit of design, sprung loaded bolt holding the  front plate and oiling pads with a clever reservoir.  

A rumour to continue the aquatic departmental theme is a Walrus or Sea Cow will be arriving to join the Trout and the long time resident Dogfish.  

Part of the consequences of the large shunt is the GWR tender that has been in the loco shed will be going for painting. I'm known as a scottish railway fan so its enough for me that's for a large GWR loco ??? 2-8-0 The boys involved (not me as no idea about welding) have done a brilliant job and a bucket load of work. and as a bit of fun I enclose 2 images.  

Finally before heading off I treated myself to a shovel out of the ash pit, anyone who's done this before will understand; recent rain, then no wind and a dry day to work.  

post-16796-0-10275500-1390058823_thumb.jpg

post-16796-0-56579100-1390058839_thumb.jpg

post-16796-0-79716100-1390058861.jpg

post-16796-0-56588700-1390058876.jpg

post-16796-0-55536500-1390058885_thumb.jpg

Edited by DOCJACOB
  • Like 8

DOCJACOB

I note one page 217 of "The Leven & East of Fife Railway" by the Oakwood press, there is a photo of one of your beloved grain vans headng east through Leven station - possibly loading grain for Cameronbridge Distillery from the farms of the east neuk - rare to see them east of Kirkland yard.

Best wishes

Lochty no more

I know, got the book as an Xmas preasent and was amazed to see the image. I guess as rare as hens teeth north of the border though Paul Bartletts site has images of one at Kidderminster in bauxite.

If I ever get to wagon number two my wicked sense of humour may be kicked into action!

Did you get my e mail request as a mate offered to do some resin casting for me, I need to make the "masters" and the NBR point lever was a possibility? Just need the sizes please?? I could do some scaling off pictures I have but the "real deal" would be better??

I've another photo by a friend in 1971 of one in FSR - bauxite E164884, and in the same rake another which appears to be worn black!

FSR for all revenue wagons was official in the early 1960s.

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul

Not much to report this week. Following the big shunt we found ourselves in a new bit of the siding. The good news is I finally swapped the damaged bit of brake gear, the bad news is a) the damaged one put up valiant resistance B) I had the unpleasant job having to stand in a large puddle while working. I think I had underestimated the damage and as proof I enclose one image.

Next job was the destination label clips

Finally "Fulstow" 0-4-0  Peckett was being warmed up and thus the coal wagon and water tank were easily accessible for oiling. I think there is a theme developing here?   

post-16796-0-39355500-1390757915.jpg

post-16796-0-33581100-1390757929.jpg

Edited by DOCJACOB
  • Like 4

Thanks for the comment Boris, one of the older members reckons he can un-bend it and was even thinking, with my help, of having a go (heat +++ and bend back to shape) in-situ. I wasn't 100% convinced as its both bent and twisted, hence the change. 

Still waiting for the other two's promised move so may take you up on that? 

Thanks for the comment Boris, one of the older members reckons he can un-bend it and was even thinking, with my help, of having a go (heat +++ and bend back to shape) in-situ. I wasn't 100% convinced as its both bent and twisted, hence the change. 

Still waiting for the other two's promised move so may take you up on that? 

Not much time to play today I'm afraid as the bedroom needs decorating.

The capping on the LMS Pipe wagon, that we use as a coal bunker, needed re-attaching. This has been discussed on another part of the forum recently. There are 4 sections to each side (separated by the door obviously) and they have either 2 or 4 U sections to aid keeping the capping in place. Thus I put 3 on the bit i did just cos I felt like being different and apart from that only had 3 suitable bolts. Rivit counters of the world please note! The chamfering of the capping strip next to the door edge is something I hadn't spotted before. Hopefully the images make it all clear.  

Loaded up the car with some spare brake gear needing refurbishment so that'll be my homework along with the shunters hook (minus handle) for this week. 

post-16796-0-39866900-1391270640.jpg

post-16796-0-19336700-1391270667.jpg

post-16796-0-77825200-1391270679.jpg

Edited by DOCJACOB
  • Like 3

Again been a bit of a lax weekend, firstly had to take my wife and youngest to a shop near Lincoln for a "prom dress,"only high point (for me) was seeing the restored Vulcan en-route. Grudgingly dragged into the shop and did nothing for my credit rating when suggested we could improve the experience with a large TV screen and a mini bar.

Drove home and had to secondly suffer the match at Murrayfield. Finally became too much/painful to endure and went to hide in the garage. 

I had semi anticipated this turn of events so had brought some of the spare brake gear home for sprucing up. The evidence is before and after a tidy up and lick of paint. Also visible the odd pin and shunter hook (awaiting new wooden handle) 

Sunday will be on time-keeping duty for the Grimsby Triathlon Club "aquathon" Given the weather a nice 400m swim followed by 3 mile run to blow the cobwebs away! 

post-16796-0-68951900-1391948737.jpg

post-16796-0-86082500-1391948983.jpg

• Like 4

Quite a major change for this week as we are now under cover in a section of the carriage shed. This was unexpected.  As the weather was windy and I didn't fancy working outside I had left my tools at home!  

There are now no excuses not get cracking next week.  

I spent the day though retrieving more brake gear and various other spares for refurbishing prior to the arrival of the promised shelving. We have two types of push rods either metal bushes holding the sides apart or 3 inch by 2 3/4 inch timber baulks. The metal ones rust solid, the wooden ones swell, rot and then rust you pays your money and takes your choice. The Grain wagon actually has both types.

While in retrieval mode I found 3 brake rods (i.e. 6 sides) 4 bushes and a lot of rust. While some more scrounging found wood that had been used for concrete shuttering oddly 2 3/4 inches by 11/2 inches. A plan was hatching as we had 7 holes in the 3 brake rods. 

Off to the garage and first job was hack the sides apart, screw 2 pieces of wood (54 inches long) together to form the requisite size spacer and then drill suitable sized pilot holes and then finish with the pillar drill.  These were quite substantial holes to fit the1/2 inch bolts and the chuck on my drill was pretty much at its maximum. The final image is the longest rod re-assembled as a "dry run" Over the next few days a serious clean up and paint is in order. 

post-16796-0-76473000-1392582652.jpg

post-16796-0-30180000-1392582666.jpg

post-16796-0-16633300-1392582679.jpg

post-16796-0-28693600-1392582688.jpg

post-16796-0-34949000-1392582697.jpg

• Like 1

First full day in our new home and it was great. As you can see our Golden Doodle (50/50 mix of Golden retriever and Poodle) had a not so great day at the dog groomer. He is a complete "weed" and has "issues" especially when compared to my late lamented Chocolate Labrador who was a total lout and did a good impression of an industrial hoover on legs. Mind you I probably don't help as after this severe haircut he reminds be of Dobby from Harry Potter 

Enough and on to business. To answer an earlier post I've sorted the brake rods and while not perfect they are a lot better than before. First job of the day was to make some staging up. Currently that is all pre-drilled and just need some bolts purchasing and installing because amazingly there was nothing suitable to find in the stores van. While in the en-route to the stores van struck lucky and found a "mint" shunters pole in the undergrowth to match/go with the hook in my garage 

Took advantage of the improved access and primed and undercoated the top edge of the van. The roof felt will be finished off with white masonry paint. This was the normally difficult to access side that normally faces away from the public and really needed tidying up. 

Been given a deadline as it is wanted for a photographic charter; really fancy full LNER spec.  

post-16796-0-12953500-1393097961.jpg

post-16796-0-89897200-1393098024.jpg

post-16796-0-27646000-1393098043.jpg

post-16796-0-43377600-1393098068_thumb.jpg

post-16796-0-94838800-1393098081_thumb.jpg

post-16796-0-42907700-1393098130_thumb.jpg

Edited by DOCJACOB
  • Like 5

Fairly busy day, especially as it appears her first full public outing will be at the Easter Gala. I did have a "helper" with me today though I think "helper" is a relative term!

Firstly time to scub up some of the spares we have.

Secondly I felt the need for something a bit wider than a couple of scaffolding planks so knocked this up. I will still have to use scaffolding planks as the ends need sorted and its the best solution to get at the higher sections above the ventilator hood.

The ends now look awful but it was the only way to shorten and prime some of the bolts. I even needed to remove the ventilator hood for some of the "hard to get at ones" Still its only temporary and next week it will be repair the patchwork paint and tackle the other end.  

The good news is the missing hopper operating wheel for the door side of the van turned up. The non door side was painted in situ. 

post-16796-0-27655600-1393703138.jpg

post-16796-0-94253700-1393703147.jpg

post-16796-0-93316600-1393703154.jpg

post-16796-0-88859800-1393703162.jpg

post-16796-0-14427500-1393703175.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Apologies as been a bit remiss on the update front. Partly this has been to my weekends being taken up driving to Peak District where my daughter has been doing her Duke of Edinburgh hikes and gardening duties. 

In between I've managed a few minutes at Ludborough and the wagons. The Grain Wagon finally and permanently came out of the shed for a photographic charter. The blue rope holding the door has gone and in anticipation of the replacement door latch arriving I've sealed the hatch up for the time being. She is thus 99% completed needing sign writing only. I couldn't get an image today as she was hitched to the P-way wagons and to far away for me to tramp. 

First job was replacing a step on the Catfish Ballast Wagon that was effectively wrecked. Having got a nice white step caused more problems and I guess a full repaint will now have to be done! Amazing how jobs just grow and grow. 

During my absence we have a new arrival in the shape of a Walrus. Bit of oiling for 2 axle boxes, the other 6 were fine and a generous dollop down the oil pipes to the bogie pivot. These are just visible on the solebars of the close up image of the bogie. 

Obviously as the Grain Wagon is out, a new project is required and it is the BR Brake Van. As you can see not a quick project/fix.  

post-16796-0-30094800-1399742024.jpg

post-16796-0-43463500-1399742073.jpg

post-16796-0-03815100-1399742219.jpg

post-16796-0-35786200-1399742237.jpg

post-16796-0-54608100-1399742273.jpg

post-16796-0-94701100-1399742370.jpg

post-16796-0-10522900-1399742445.jpg

post-16796-0-73645600-1399742485.jpg

• Like 4

That BR van will be quite a big job, looks like the bottom main rail is gone on this side, which is a fairly large job.  When you take the veranda floors up expect to find a lifetime supply of crap in the cast drain channels underneath, when you remake the floors I would suggest you make the sections removable and add clearing the channels annually to your VIBT/PPM schedule to prevent water build up and rot setting back in again.  I would also suggest (eventually) when you refit the duckets you put some beading round the edges (especially the bottom edge) as the bottom of the ducket makes a great water trap as moisture runs down and into the ends of the cladding.