00 rtr Underground on the way

Guest maxthemapman

Guest maxthemapman

Hi from Japan everyone,

Well this turned into a wish list quite quickly didn't it? Lol

Anyway, I'm not going to confirm or deny anything except yes I have my plans laid until 2015 at he moment.

However, ones I won't be touching as I understand others are apparently (look out for announcements soon) include,

In N gauge an N15

In 009 a Manning Wardle

In OO gauge Sarah Siddons, and Underground stock with an 84 soon after (unless that changes due to poor electric sales)

Remember you read it here first. Dave, first with the news! (Until the egg appears on his face that is) lol

Cheers

Dave

Anyone notice this on the Dapol section, DapolDave must be one of the more reliable sources. Hornby have just had their announcements, so unlikely to be them.

Care to speculate as to which Underground stock might be on the way? A Stock for nostalgia? OPQR Stock for beauty? S Stock for modernity? T Stock so that Rickmansworth can be modelled prototypically?

• RMweb Gold

He said he won't be touching Sarah Siddons (which is a tad annoying as I have 2 Met Bo-Bo's).  If that's meant to say someone def has plans, then surely they need something for her to pull which would mean Dreadnoughts (and I have several of those as well).

In general they didn't work with goods stock (don't rush to reply - I know there are SOME pics, but generally goods were steam hauled).  Of course someone could possibly go for several markets at once as the Chesham set is on LUL now, and did the Chesham branch.  It would tie in with Bluebell (and the blue team are doing Bluebell buildings).  The Met Bo-Bo's also hauled the Cheshem sets to/from Wembley/Neasden on Saturday mornings for set swaps although that was hardly an everyday occurrence.

The LTM owns Sarah Siddons. I wonder if the Underground stock will be 'hauled' stock to go behind it.

The LTM does not own Sarah Siddons. Sarah is owned by London Underground itself. She never left the fleet when she was retired in 1961 from revenue duties. She is officially the Brake Block Test loco.

I think I'm correct in saying thet the Museum does own the 38 Tube stock, but I'm happy to be corrected if someone can supply more accurate information.

I have heard from insiders at Neasden that the S Stock has been measured up by one of the major manufacturers.

• RMweb Gold

I have heard from insiders at Neasden that the S Stock has been measured up by one of the major manufacturers.

I believe that's true but it does seem a strange choice given that manufacturers want models with plenty of livery options in order to improve sales opportunities.  This is pure conjecture on my part but it would only seem (to me) to make economic sense if eg there were a tie up with museum shop and/or some other seller carrying part of the financial risk but also gaining exclusivity?

• RMweb Gold

It is a open secret that Bachmann are producing the S stock in the near future, but when I spoke to Dapol at the Ally Pally show last year, he knew the exact costing (£80K) of doing the Met BoBo.  He said he had several enquiries but nothing serious had come forward.

I have written to Heljan asking if they would consider doing the 4-wheeled open hopper based on the Dogfish they do, painted and lettered in LT livery.

Julian Sprott

Anyone notice this on the Dapol section, DapolDave must be one of the more reliable sources. Hornby have just had their announcements, so unlikely to be them.

Care to speculate as to which Underground stock might be on the way? A Stock for nostalgia? OPQR Stock for beauty? S Stock for modernity? T Stock so that Rickmansworth can be modelled prototypically?

If there's going to be a Bo-Bo, and I too cannot see that there's a huge market for it for the same reasons as XF has already given, then T Stock would be the logical choice. The Dreadnought trailer carriages could be used with both T Stock DMs and Sarah. It might be possible to produce the DMs, Trailers and Brakes with a single mould which had separate inserts for the DM cab end and also for the Guards compartment for the Brake.

But producing it later this year will be too late. The celebrations are tomorrow (13/1/13) and next Sunday. Sounds more like missing the boat.

Hi All

If a RTR Q, COCP, R or pre 1938 Standard tube Stock model came out that would have me reaching for my CC

Out of interest does anyone know how much it would cost to have a pro model maker assemble a 4 car set of Radleys pre 1938 stock inc paint, transfers and 2 motor bogies with DCC ?

Just an idea

Watch out for the snow looks like the UK will come to a halt on Monday ! !

Hi AllIf a RTR Q, COCP, R or pre 1938 Standard tube Stock model came out that would have me reaching for my CCOut of interest does anyone know how much it would cost to have a pro model maker assemble a 4 car set of Radleys pre 1938 stock inc paint, transfers and 2 motor bogies with DCC ?Just an ideaWatch out for the snow looks like the UK will come to a halt on Monday ! !

I believe you are looking at@ £ 400 -£500 for a fully assembled 4 car unit depending on what motor bogies and DCC chips are fitted. it is worth giving Phil Radley a call and get a quote from him if you are interested.

XF

The LTM does not own Sarah Siddons. Sarah is owned by London Underground itself. She never left the fleet when she was retired in 1961 from revenue duties. She is officially the Brake Block Test loco.

Not any more. She was officially withdrawn from service and handed over to the LTM a couple of years ago. It was about that time that she appeared in MET livery, and was transferred to the stock looked after by Acton, although I don't know if she is actually based at the Museum Depot, or still resides at Ruislip.

Guest maxthemapman

When the Met BoBo comes out for enthusiast specials, doesn't it haul a set of BR Mk1 coaches? With S Stock, commuter trains plus an enthusiast special could be run authentically. A pity, it would be nice to have something older than S-Stock.

Not sure about the 'we have built the kits, and so the loco won't sell' argument. It would not surprise me if the Bachmann 4-Cep outsold every single Southern Electric kit ever produced all put together. Certainly, next month, My Ian Kirk 2-BILs will be heading for the dustbin (where they will metaphorically get to meet a Pirate Models 1938 driving motor and a Bec Trams E1).

Hi guys,

FYI, MetroModels is at the Model Engineering Exhibition @ Ally Pally next weekend.

He is going to be showing his latest R-T-R stock (3D printed), I think his range now

covers most (if not all) stock used on the underground.

I know it's not cheap but it all works and runs really well, and works out better than

getting a pro. to build someone elses kits.

I've seen these as he has been finishing them, ready for the show, and they do look

good. He also test runs them on our club layout.

Jeff

Hi guys,

but it all works and runs really well,

Jeff

Hi

I couldn't agree more. I've got two 4 car EFE's from John at Metro Models, the Northern Line 38 and the Central Line 62. They really do run as well as anything from Bachmann etc. I've spoken to John a couple of times on the 'phone and he couldn't be more helpful

Trouble is though, it looks like his 3D models, as good as they are, will be 1960, '67, '73, '83 and '96, no sign of anything older. I guess he feels that's where most of the interest lies - in the more modern stuff

A couple of years ago, his website showed the prototypes of the models he was going to release of Standard tube stock, but I think there was a problem with a supplier. They did look quite good

HiI couldn't agree more. I've got two 4 car EFE's from John at Metro Models, the Northern Line 38 and the Central Line 62. They really do run as well as anything from Bachmann etc. I've spoken to John a couple of times on the 'phone and he couldn't be more helpfulTrouble is though, it looks like his 3D models, as good as they are, will be 1960, '67, '73, '83 and '96, no sign of anything older. I guess he feels that's where most of the interest lies - in the more modern stuffA couple of years ago, his website showed the prototypes of the models he was going to release of Standard tube stock, but I think there was a problem with a supplier. They did look quite good

I saw John Polley's ptototypes of his standard tube stock and they looked really good however the problem is they where made out of brass and hence very expensive to produce hence why John dos not proceed with them. There is nothing to say that he will to produce these in 3D printing form in the future. Phil Radley does produce resin standard stock cars and I have one as a trailer in one of my EFE 1938 sets as per the Bakerloo line trains.

XF

• RMweb Gold

I'm more concerned about the mention of an 84. I'm seriously hoping that that is not the case as it is just about the worst choice of all the production AC locos. The real things had an incredibly short service life with the exception of the one that was rebuilt as a mobile load bank. Far better if not the 81 (which is so obvious from the 85 it's a no-brainer) would be either the 82 or 83 which can have the InterCity livery as well and lasted significantly longer. That's without someone having a proper go at the 86/87/90/91/92 that would all benefit from a model to the standard of the 85 before anyone looks at the 82/83/84.

Andi

Here is a better photo of the 1927 trailer

XF

Many thanks for the picture. I certainly wouldn't fancy building one car, let alone four

Looking at the picture though, the body of the trailer seems to sit much higher above the bogies than the EFE cars either side. This is not meant as a criticism of your excellent work assembling the kit - more an observation of a possible shortcoming of the kit itself

Archived