Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Premium

Lovely to see some photos of The Roundhouse Adrian.  I was pretty gobsmacked when it appeared in MRJ several years ago, but I never got to see the real thing, and I've not heard of it since.  Is it still around?

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Happy to wait another three and a half years for a couple more shots like that!

I think there's a photo opportunity to be had there my friend.Beautiful.

• Like 1

Just discovered this interesting thread - three and a half years after it was started.

A couple of my photos - of chocolate-liveried GWR 517 class No 1157, built for me by Tony Reynalds, weathered by Martyn Welch and 'copped' in John Dornom's Laira roundhouse. A real team effort!

Well, I can't get anywhere near that level of craftsmanship, so I thought I'd get this thread restarted with something from a mere mortal...

Edinburgh Waverley station in August 1981, looking from the south side of the station across to Calton Hill and North Bridge in the background...

post-7247-0-52993400-1369303000_thumb.jpg

Cheers,
Dave
  • Like 11

A few photos from Blackgill which I'd like to submit here if I may. Some of you may have seen them before.

Arp

More please Arp. Brilliant stuff! Love all the textures/surfaces/groundcover... and everything else besides!

Edited by BRealistic

• RMweb Gold

Lovely to see some photos of The Roundhouse Adrian.  I was pretty gobsmacked when it appeared in MRJ several years ago, but I never got to see the real thing, and I've not heard of it since.  Is it still around?

All the best,

Dave.

As it happens I was looking at it only last Saturday Dave.  It is now located in the McAlpine Museum at Fawley near Henley-On-Thames but you do have to look for it as it's not in a very conspicuous position and you only get to see the exterior.

• RMweb Premium

A few photos from Blackgill which I'd like to submit here if I may. Some of you may have seen them before.

A view of Blackgill signal box from outside of the station:

attachicon.gifBlackgill_Box_2013.jpg

The local coal merchants collect their stock from the coal drops:

attachicon.gifBlackgill_Drops_2013.jpg

A visual inspection:

attachicon.gifBlackgill_Platelayer_2013.jpg

All the best,

Arp

Blackgill - one of the absolute best!

David

A view of Blackgill signal box from outside of the station:

attachicon.gifBlackgill_Box_2013.jpg

The local coal merchants collect their stock from the coal drops:

attachicon.gifBlackgill_Drops_2013.jpg

A visual inspection:

attachicon.gifBlackgill_Platelayer_2013.jpg

All the best,

Arp

How did you make the roads if you don't mind me asking?

Hello,

My dad made the roads simply painting the road bed (which was hardboard, if I remember correctly) with black paint (or even blackboard paint) and then, whilst it was still wet, sprinkling powdered chalk onto it so that it stuck. The chalk had been crushed and then put through a fine sieve. A variety of shades of grey were used to give variation. After the paint has dried, the excess was vacuumed off and, if necessary, another layer could be added.

Hope this helps,

Arp

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Sorry with delay on reply - I've been out at Didcot helping to repaint 1466. Yes, as far as I know John Dornom still has the roundhouse, although I believe he was considering selling it about a year ago. His incredible output of stunning models like this means that he quickly runs short of space!

Adrian

As it happens I was looking at it only last Saturday Dave.  It is now located in the McAlpine Museum at Fawley near Henley-On-Thames but you do have to look for it as it's not in a very conspicuous position and you only get to see the exterior.

Hi there,

The model at Fawley is John Dornom's model of the exterior of Laira shed which Bill McAlpine has had for some time. The interior is an entirely separate model which has working steam and lighting effects. Perhaps we should see if we can persuade John to exhibit it again.

Adrian

• Like 1

The photos I have seen on this thread are quite amazing. Great modelling and great photography.

I would like to improve my skills at photography so hope a few of you might share some tips and any special effects eg smoke added to steam trains, lighting, night shots.

Cheers

Sam