Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

It took me quite a while this morning to recover from my breakfast fit (thanks Jason) and was having odd chuckles about it all morning, not sure what my work colleagues thought. Around lunch time I drove off to an isolated spot on the airfield, got my phone out & made my way to the thread so I could read it again.

Time to move on, until Jeff, AndyP or Jason......... or another Lunester strike again

• RMweb Gold

Music: Most 60s music, it was what I was brought up on.

plus specifically

Rock: Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Bruce Springsteen, Ramstein, (if I understood the words I know I would be put off, and my middle son who has been to Ramstein concerts is appalled), Eric Clapton, Pearl Jam, Guns & Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Slade, Styatus Quo, Third Day, Creed, and of course the best The Rolling Stones. The songs still sound as good as when I first heard them.

Folk: Steeleye Span, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Simon & Garfunkel, and Tom Paxton, who is still writing and singing and unlike some others realises that a sixty year old's voice is not the same as a twenty year old's and sings with at least one lady on some songs to cover his imperfections.

Pop: The Kinks, Abba, Snow Patrol, Roy Orbison, Mammas & the Pappas, Dire Straits, Moody Blues, and Coldplay.

Where do you put Fleetwood Mac?

As for gardening, I have given up a bit in this house for lots of reasons, one being a bad back so digging is impossible, but perhaps in the new house when we move I will have an alpine garden again. In the last house I had one that had flowers out every month of the year. I would hope to grow herbs but no veggies, the garden is not big enough.

CV: I don't need one any more as I am past my sell by date. I hesitated about applying for a job about 4 years ago as I thought they would want someone long term and the bloke who took it left after two years!

Yahoo! Another Lunester thread and another rock-solid success! I'm sorely tempted to suggest that Jeff should consider a future in politics but, on second thoughts, thats only for people who don't have the brains to become traffic warden's!

OK! So this is me: Aging, badly behaved hippy with an artistic bent which plays havoc with my kneecaps. Currently working on a vampire series (more Bram Stoker than the rubbish which passes for vampire lore these days) and building two Witches Cottages for two young ladies (Mirci and Ellie) aged 3 years old and who live in Washington state, USA. Inventor of the ancient sport of duck-wabbling and former mountain-biker until I was attacked by a tree in Witton Park.

Love most types of music but I'll write a list elsewhere before I post it in case it turns out to be too looooong!

Not the worlds greatest gardner. Happily I live in a flat and the only vegetation I get are leaves from next-doors tree!

Keen walker (fortunately because theres nowhere in Morecambe far away enough to need a bus).

Also believe that Spike Milligan was on of the worlds great genius'

Bill (Somewhere Far-Far-Away Lunester)

• RMweb Premium

I can't fault anything on your list, Chris. I kept mine a bit on the short side just to start things off, but I'm enjoying seeing what others listen to.

You've got the Big O, Mr Roy Orbison in there. One of my all-time favourite artists. Incredible voice and the recordings are amazing, especially as most were made on 2 or 4 track, recorded once, live! The song "Running Scared" always does it for me. Less than 2 minutes long, great lyrics, builds and builds to a crescendo. If anyone wants to hear something brilliant from the man, other than Pretty Woman etc, have a listen to that. It'll make you tingle!

Hi Bill. Glad you like the new thread. It just occurred to me last night that we could probably find the odd thing or two to fill it....

Billy - hope you've stopped laughing by now! I've re-read that post a few times today - the last sentence never fails to make me laugh!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I can't fault anything on your list, Chris. I kept mine a bit on the short side just to start things off, but I'm enjoying seeing what others listen to.

You've got the Big O, Mr Roy Orbison in there. One of my all-time favourite artists. Incredible voice and the recordings are amazing, especially as most were made on 2 or 4 track, recorded once, live! The song "Running Scared" always does it for me. Less than 2 minutes long, great lyrics, builds and builds to a crescendo. If anyone wants to hear something brilliant from the man, other than Pretty Woman etc, have a listen to that. It'll make you tingle!

Jeff

Jeff,

I think that song is brilliant.  I have it on CD but also as the last song on a DVD of a Gig he did.  I think he had to do an encore with it as well.

I'm not a poet but the peotry in the songs is great.  I love the way that song is crafted.  Also,Noddy Holder's songs are on the same level of poetry.  Saying a lot more than what is written.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I think that song is brilliant.  I have it on CD but also as the last song on a DVD of a Gig he did.  I think he had to do an encore with it as well.

I'm not a poet but the peotry in the songs is great.  I love the way that song is crafted.  Also,Noddy Holder's songs are on the same level of poetry.  Saying a lot more than what is written.

I'd agree about Noddy. "My oh My" - one of the best number 2s ever. "Wall of Sound", "Everyday" - great songs. And the definitive " on Feel the Noize". I remember watching the first public performance of "Merry Christmas Everybody" on the old BBC "Nationwide" programme in 1973. Great band.

Back to Orbison. He was revered by musicians across several generations. I was surprised when he saw that Bono had paid homage to him as an almost God-like figure. And with pals like Dylan, Harrison, Petty and Geoff Lynn, it says it all. If he were alive now he'd only be in his 70s. What a waste.

Jeff

Edit: Bl**dy stupid system has edited out the Slade mis-spelling of Come. Ridiculous!!!

I'm walking backwards for christmas :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Duncan

I suppose Christmas is closer going backwards at the moment, better start the xmas shopping & get the trimmings back out

Cast adrift in a open boat,

With nothing but water to keep me.......

afloat!

Extra pudding for you chaps tonight. Now get back under the bench and keep peddling!

Bill :)

Just popping into the lounge from the front room.

Was in "sensible" mode yesterday as I was interviewing candidates for a senior school management post. Hence my disinterest with hearing about cvs.....

Music wise, my interests are very bland. Much depends on my mood. I feel film music is a neglected genre and is often underrated and under valued. Music from "Witness", "Meet Joe Black" and "Gladiator" can be as moving as a classical symphony.

You Tube is a great resource for watching clips of singers and groups from "my era". But as I share an office with the music librarian at work, I sometimes hear strange obscure things, music-wise that is.

Anyway, back to the peace and quiet of the front room.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff and all

What a good idea starting this thread.

Let's see,

Signalman on NR in a panel box - For Andy's(uax6) info this is the sort of box where we look after several trains at once not just one up and one down at a time -

Thats it for now, I'd better get back to delaying signaling trains now, 2-1(that's train out of section for the uninitiated)

Ian

I have you know Ian I have a very busy job here, trying to squeeze those two trains down a 10 mile single line.. I also have to deal with OHL too, you know that knitting stuff that powers modern trains, not those cast off's that no-one else wants!! ;-}

I'm a Radio 2 man as well, although my Dad has a collection of over a thousand 78's that he used to listen to every morning before work, so I do have an appreacion of classical too.

have spent the last 13 years refurbing the cottage I live in, aquiring a French wife and a daughter along the way. You all know about the minors and the strowger telephone exchanges too.

I seem to spend all my time in work, and I seem to have got back into modelling again.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Andy G - the funny thing is that the Radio 2 of today is FULL of the Radio 1 DJs from the 70s and 80s. In other words it's a pretty good music station.

"When I was a lad" it was Jimmy Young and Terry Wogan....

Comment for Jim: I'm blasting out some BJH - must be 5 years since I played any. Really, really good for a band that "never quite made it".

Jeff

It's before my time too - but I find the saturday morning Sixties show is quite good for gaining an understanding...

Now now Jeff, Jimmy Old and Terry Wogan were very good DJs - far better than some of the ones you hear these days, Steve Wright being the main offender to my ears.  Ken Bruce and Richard Allinson are probably the best on there at the moment.

I was brought up on a diet of radio 4 and Virgin 1215 - and these days Radio 2 has replaced Virgin in my listening, though since Chris Evans took over in the morning, I've gone back to radio 4 for the drive to work...

Hi gang

As threatened earlier this is my essential listening list, mostly complete collections and not including a number of 60’s compilation albums and early (1920’s/30’s) blues albums

10,000 Maniacs, AC/DC, Alanis Morissette, Avril Lavigne, B.B. King, Bad Company, Barclay James Harvest, The Beatles, Beth Orton, Black Sabbath, Blind Faith, Bob Dylan, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Crosby Stills Nash (and Young), Cyndi Lauper, David Gilmour, Deep Purple, Dido, Dire Straits, Donovan, The Doors, Dusty Springfield, The Eagles, Elmore James, Enigma, Eric Clapton, Eva Cassidy, Family, Fish, Fleetwood Mac, Frank Zappa, Free, Gary Moore, Hawkwind, Janis Ian, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Walsh, John Lennon, Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Katie Melua, Kevin Ayres, King Crimson, The Kinks, Kirsty Hawkshaw, Kirsty MacColl, Led Zeppelin, Leonard Cohen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Melanie, Matallica, Moody Blues, Natalie Merchant, Neil Young, Nirvana, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, REM, Radiohead, Rainbow, Rickie Lee Jones, Roger Waters, Roy Orbison, Rush, Sandy Denny, Alex Harvey Band, Sheryl Crowe, Simon & Garfunkel, Small Faces, Snowy White, Stevie Nicks, Suzanne Vega, Syd Barrett, Taken By Trees, Talking Heads, Tom Petty, Van Morrison, The Who, ZZ Top.

I appear to be quite fond of the stuff don’t I?

Bill (Play It Again Sam Lunester)

It's before my time too - but I find the saturday morning Sixties show is quite good for gaining an understanding...

Now now Jeff, Jimmy Old and Terry Wogan were very good DJs - far better than some of the ones you hear these days, Steve Wright being the main offender to my ears.  Ken Bruce and Richard Allinson are probably the best on there at the moment.

I was brought up on a diet of radio 4 and Virgin 1215 - and these days Radio 2 has replaced Virgin in my listening, though since Chris Evans took over in the morning, I've gone back to radio 4 for the drive to work...

It's a strange thing with Steve Wright when he first came on the radio he was cutting edge, inventive and a very funny show, seems to settled into a comfy chair with his slippers on now, mind you I suppose I'm going a bit that way myself now. where did I put that shed, I know I had it earlier  :no:

• RMweb Premium

Are any of the Lunesters going to Doncaster tomorrow? All being well, I'll be there from about 10pm onwards and look quite a lot like my avatar, frighteningly enough.

I'll be there too, Looking my usual self, Anorak, glasses, rucksack - no just kidding. I am just one of those average looking people with very few distinguishing features apart from being a bit thin up top, however I will wear my 3/4 grey coat and be smart/casual in appearance. Maybe I might find time to knock up one of those badges from the Stafford 2012 thread to make it easy.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Have not been able to access the site until now. Have there been problems?

All this talk about Radio 2 has started me reminiscing. There used to be a great presenter whose programme was on immediately before Terry Wogan, can anybody remember his name? Was it Ray something or other? There used to be great banter between the two of them, he had a really deep voice and referred to his other half as Big Alma. He died all too young from cancer then Ken Bruce took over his slot. Ah, memories. I may have to start listening to Radio 2 again.

Would love to be going to Doncaster tomorrow.

Other commitments, money and distance are stopping me. :angry:

However, you will probably provide a report of some sort (with photos) for those of us that can't.

Duncan

Archived