N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

Can anyone who is a member of the Collector's club confirm if the model of 50007 is available to order yet? If so, I’ll probably join up now.

Thanks.

Yes, it has been available to order since the time the lass 50 was announced (i.e. that were going ahead with it). So that's since just after Warley.

But the Peak requires updating to modern standards (DCC etc). The existing body is great, but the bogies are greatly over-width. Hopefully the development of the 40 will help produce what should be an equally popular model.

Sounds like a nice little modelling upgrade project. There was an article in one of the magazines of how to reduce the bogie width and there have been plenty about how to DCC chip older Farish diesels. Then adding buffer beam details and some weathering should make it fit for the next 5 to 10 years while the manufacturer works on producing a replacement.

G

• RMweb Gold

It would serve them right if Farish were secretly updating their class 50 & got them into the shops this year!

Farish would be better picking off the BoB/West Country, which is still on Dapol's back burner. A large group of steam locos which have survived in number to preservation and with several running on the mainline on a frequent basis. In fact there can't be many other steam classes that span so many different eras on the mainline?

Tom. 

Edited by TomE

Farish would be better picking off the BoB/West Country, which is still on Dapol's back burner.

It maybe on the back burner, but haven't the flames been turned off? Isn't it now listed as in abeyance?

G.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Hi,

Yup, order form was emailed out early November - iirc it is also due to be included in the next club newsletter. Andrea is also taking card orders by 'phone.

Regards, Gerry.

email received 8th November...

Yes, it has been available to order since the time the lass 50 was announced (i.e. that were going ahead with it). So that's since just after Warley.

Sorry, I thought early November came before Warley last year...  :jester:

Regards, Gerry.

• 2 weeks later...

In fact there can't be many other steam classes that span so many different eras on the mainline?

Tom. 

Well, if you look at it largely through preservation glasses. For a steam era modeller, a West Country makes a much more fleeting appearance than a Castle for instance.

But certainly this loco must be a tempting target for Farish. Small adjustment to the wheebase of a Merchant Navy and your chassis is done, at least as far as unrebuilt locos go. They really need to do the rebuilt ones as well.

And from a modellers point of view, I would much prefer Farish to do it over Dapol.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Well, if you look at it largely through preservation glasses. For a steam era modeller, a West Country makes a much more fleeting appearance than a Castle for instance.

But certainly this loco must be a tempting target for Farish. Small adjustment to the wheebase of a Merchant Navy and your chassis is done, at least as far as unrebuilt locos go. They really need to do the rebuilt ones as well.

And from a modellers point of view, I would much prefer Farish to do it over Dapol.

Chris

I did have my preservation glasses on. 

I think i'm right in saying that the West Country / BoB is the most numerous steam class still in existence, with 20 surviving and 19 of those being runners or under restoration to run. (I stand to be corrected on those numbers!) With that many still around, there must be some extra sales potential from modern image modellers who want a 'Tangmere', 'Bodmin', 'Taw Valley' etc. 

I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence Chris, however it will be interesting to see if Dapol can maintain the high standard set by the 68 with the 50. 

Tom.  

I did have my preservation glasses on. 

I think i'm right in saying that the West Country / BoB is the most numerous steam class still in existence,

Tom.  

There are over 60 Hunslet Austerities left.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Doesn't have to. There are other threads, this one could just stay dormant until there is news...

Or at least talk about class 50 preservation. I wouldn't know a Hunslet Austerity if I walked into one.

• RMweb Gold

The latest news as of 3 weeks ago from over on the Dapol Digest regarding the Class 50 is:

Currently, EP's (engineering prototypes) are due in July and I have scheduled the decorated samples to arrive in time for the 50 fund gala in Kidderminster (http://www.fiftyfund.org.uk/index.php/events) on the 4th/5th/6th October where they will be on display. Assuming any changes are either trivial or not required then production would start during December for shipment January, arrival in the shops February/March.

Tom.  

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, Tom. As Chinese New Year is early February, I’d be surprised if they're here before that, but it would be nice to be proved wrong. I don’t mind 23 long they take; if they're 2, then I certainly won’t be 34. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice pictures. Hopefully the EP will make an appearance soon. I’ve just realised that the large logo model has an NSE flash between the marker lights on one end. As it will also carry the original Leviathan nameplates rather than the later Centurion nameplates, I wonder if the loco ever ran like that in reality. In all the pictures I’ve seen, by the time the NSE flashes were added, 40 was already renamed Centurion. In its later years as Leviathan, it ran with the numbers “50040” between the marker lights. Not an issue for me as I'll be renumbering all of mine but it’s a bit odd.

Edited by Western Aviator

Nice pictures. Hopefully the EP will make an appearance soon. I’ve just realised that the large logo model has an NSE flash between the marker lights on one end. As it will also carry the original Leviathan nameplates rather than the later Centurion nameplates, I wonder if the loco ever ran like that in reality. In all the pictures I’ve seen, by the time the NSE flashes were added, 40 was already renamed Centurion. In its later years as Leviathan, it ran with the numbers “50040” between the marker lights. Not an issue for me as I'll be renumbering all of mine but it’s a bit odd.

Class 50 EP samples have also arrived at the Dapol HQ. Also I think your concerns should be addressed directly at Dapol via facebook and/or their forums. A mention here is hardly going to be noticed.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Does anyone know if one or more of these would be suitable for depicting a preserved loco on, say, a railtour?

My knowledge of 50s is low, and I am not particularly a fan of the class, but it'd be useful to know if one of these is suitable "out of the box."

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Preserved now? What time period are you looking at Ben?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if one or more of these would be suitable for depicting a preserved loco on, say, a railtour?

My knowledge of 50s is low, and I am not particularly a fan of the class, but it'd be useful to know if one of these is suitable "out of the box."

Cheers

Ben A.

Quick Google search found a Flickr pic quoting "Class 50 50040 'Leviathan' stands round the turntable at Old Oak Common Depot on the 16th April 1988." Showing NSE flash as per at work, now you can not read the nameplate, so I will not pass judgement, but I know Dapol have put a lot of effort in to this artwork. 

• RMweb Gold

Quick Google search found a Flickr pic quoting "Class 50 50040 'Leviathan' stands round the turntable at Old Oak Common Depot on the 16th April 1988." Showing NSE flash as per at work, now you can not read the nameplate, so I will not pass judgement, but I know Dapol have put a lot of effort in to this artwork.

I’ve seen this and other similar pictures where the caption says “Leviathan” but where the nameplate is definitely “Centurion” and also with the latter name there is a crest above the nameplate which “Leviathan” didn’t have. It seems a strange choice by Dapol to pick the only 50 to carry two different names with the same colour scheme as that immediately restricts the timescale available. As I said, I doesn’t bother me at all as none of the ones I’ve ordered will stay as 50040 but I will mention it to Dapol.

Edited by Western Aviator