The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

A visit to St Mary's Crossing

Hi Captain,

A long time ago (mid sixties), I spent many weekends carrying out a comprehensive survey of the area around St Mary's Crossing with a view to modelling it at some time in the future as I had a keen interest in both canals and railways at the time. Sadly it never came about and, after over twenty house moves, the plans have long since disappeared. Shame. I have to admit to being somewhat mischievous when asked why the area was being surveyed, I hope too many people didn't have too many sleepless nights!

John

The old style notice is a nice touch.

It is - quite unexpected , that was!! Someone somewhere on the modern railway appreciates Heritage!!

The St Mary's on the DFR has only really became a 'place' during DFR ownership, AFAIK..? Although the footbridge was there in BR days (now condemned as unsafe?) there was a rail weighbridge a bit further up the line, but no Station, and as there was no A48 Bypass, no Level Crossing either....

• 4 weeks later...

Another piccie infested thread I somehow managed to miss! Lovely photos CK, I took some very similar ones (not tresspass shots of course) a while back when in the area, it's a lovely spot which time has been kinder to than most. Looking at your view towards Chalford from the 'box you can easily imagine a Western or Hymek coasting down the grade on a Padd-Cheltenham job, made up of a nice mix of Hawksworths, Colletts and BR Mk1s.... :good:

post-7638-0-30906500-1363189257.jpg

post-7638-0-94066500-1363189281.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 6

• 6 months later...

Hi John,

what lovely photos, if its of interest to you I built about 8 St Marys crossing boxes mostly in 7mm but there is at least one in 4mm, they are in permanent way and signalling thread under my thread 'Model signal box portfolio '

cheers

Peter

here is one in 7mm scale

stmaryssignalboxno4008_zpsa84c3121.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I've only knowingly been past that box twice. 73096 climbing Sapperton back in about '96 I think and then coasting down on the way back from Gloucester. Boy was that a great climb and the sound going up 'through' those curves in the wooded cuttings was fabulous. happy days.

Lovely Pics Capn and great box Peter.

P

Hi,

it does not look like it has seen a fresh coat of paint since a couple of turns I worked there 20 or more years ago! At that time there was a resident crossing keeper, Zetty, and it was only covered by relief if she had a day off. Are the gates normally left open to the road nowadays? When I was about the area they were normally kept closed to road traffic since what I recall was that the road led to a mill (probably industrial units by that time). As I said, I only covered it twice and both times where at night. Just a few users at the start of a 12 hour shift and then nice and cosy beside the fire for the rest of the turn with only the odd unit and a Longbridge-Swindon (if I recall correctly) passing to disturb you. 

• RMweb Gold

Are the gates normally left open to the road nowadays? When I was about the area they were normally kept closed to road traffic since what I recall was that the road led to a mill (probably industrial units by that time). 

Yes, they're still normally closed to road traffic, although the day shifts tend to be a bit busier than your nights!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am sure there used to be a footbridge spanning the tracks on the Swindon side of the crossing which went right over the tracks and over the retaining wall to reach the lower level about 10 feet below rail level, talking 1970s 1980s here when I used to go to BVM Moto at Stroud on my Moto Guzzi.

I also followed a lot of the Swindon bound 1985 GWR 150 steam trains along this stretch on the Guzzi

• RMweb Gold

I am sure there used to be a footbridge spanning the tracks on the Swindon side of the crossing which went right over the tracks and over the retaining wall to reach the lower level about 10 feet below rail level, talking 1970s 1980s here when I used to go to BVM Moto at Stroud on my Moto Guzzi.

Yes, there was, in old photos this would seem to have been connected with the passenger halt that existed there on the London-side, but which closed (in 1964, I think), when the Chalford Auto finished.

• 2 weeks later...

I also followed a lot of the Swindon bound 1985 GWR 150 steam trains along this stretch on the Guzzi

By coincidence, while looking for something else, I came across this old photo, in an old album, showing the footbridge.  Also, one taken further up the line at Frampton Mansell. I used to live in the old lock keepers cottage below here and had to cross the line to get in and out (on foot!).

John

post-7952-0-00394100-1391179332_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-63216100-1391179497_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I plan to visit the St Mary's Crossing signal box during 2018. Can you give me some information about parking a car near the signal box. Looking at Google Earth this does not look to be easy.

You may wish to try either driving down over the crossing and looking for somewhere to park down there, otherwise it may be a case of looking carefully along the main road as you go along, for a suitable lay-by or similar.

Captain Kernow; Thanks for posting those pictures.  I visited the crossing 26 years ago and it hasn't changed much! I had planned on going back for a look when I was back home in May but ran out of time, as is always the way......I was surprised to see the equipment cabinet was still on the back of the signal box, I had thought it would have been long gone.

One thing that also comes to mind is that there was a pub nearby called 'The King and Castle' with the two locomotives on the pub sign, I wonder if it's still called that?

Mark.

One thing that also comes to mind is that there was a pub nearby called 'The King and Castle' with the two locomotives on the pub sign, I wonder if it's still called that?

Mark.

Google maps now shows it as "The Pavilion". I used to be round that way regularly in the 1990s, when it was still the King & Castle, but I know that by at least the year 2000, that lovely sign was replaced by one depicting chess pieces :rolleyes: :( so it lost any 'railway' connections some time ago
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...