The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

A visit to St Mary's Crossing

• RMweb Premium

Never managed a journey on foot there, but in the early 60s when steam still reigned, and for a time after, I used the Stroud- Paddington trains a fair amount. There were various landmarks on this bit of the line which marked one's progress up and down the valley, and St Mary's Crossing was one of them, although it was always gone in a flash. Good pictures. That box cries out to be modelled!

Hard to believe there were a couple of platforms tucked in there.

Regarding my own question about parking a car near to the signal box, I found this information(relating to visitors to the mill):

No parking at the mill except for Blue Badge holders. Park in layby on main rd

However, looking at StreetView on Google I can't see any sign of a layby near to the signal box. But I can see lots of cars parked on the pavement alongside the road.

Edited by Mike Ryan

• RMweb Gold

Regarding my own question about parking a car near to the signal box, I found this information(relating to visitors to the mill):

No parking at the mill except for Blue Badge holders. Park in layby on main rd

However, looking at StreetView on Google I can't see any sign of a layby near to the signal box. But I can see lots of cars parked on the pavement alongside the road.

I can't recall exactly where we did park at the time, but I think it was probably next to the main road. Sorry I can't offer any more wisdom than that, but good luck with your visit.

If you were to look on Google Street View, you'll see that just a few yards up the main road there are several cars parked (partly on the pavement), so it looks like that's an option. Otherwise, if you're feeling fit, park in the layby at Brimscombe and walk up (that's what I did).

Edited by Coppercap